main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Apology

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Hama, Feb 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I know. I've been around nearly 2 years and in the last 6 months I haven't been bothered with this place cause I don't care much. This is why.

Obviously the place hasn't gotten much better.

2. Padawan Eden

Padawan Eden Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 1999
    I never said anything about leaving Zizou, I know some people will, but I won't. Getting that worked up over a bulletin board is stupid. I've been here since 98, and the plain fact of the matter is that while I won't leave this board, it used to be alot better when they had admins who were actually good at their job and wern't immature like Hama.

:/ I remember when preacherboy was the only semi-childish admin out there...

3. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "If he had spied on a chat room, logged it, then instigated the mass deletion of threads, maybe, just maybe, they'd consider really punishing him. "

Ouch!

4. Spirit of Chewbacco

Spirit of Chewbacco Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 1999
    Personally I think this alias' former owner should hold the title for Best Stunt Ever. :D

5. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    there's nothing worse than someone sending bogus info around the boards.

6. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Eh. Apology accepted Hama. I guess I kind of ruined your little April Fools joke. The one thing you probably should've done was gotten the backing of the other admins first. Doing on your own does make it look more like an abuse of powers. It's sort of funny because it seems like something I probably would've done myself, which is pretty much why I'll never be made an admin. You should also have realized that you were risking your adminship by doing this which is another reason why you should've got the backing of the other admins first. Intriguing prank...poorly executed.

7. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Why? It was stupid. Not to mention pathetic.

8. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    for those who "don't care, don't come here", they're still here commenting, so that must mean they still care because they're still here. If they didn't care, they would've left. so, welcome home, stay awhile, nice to have you visit. :)

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    This is a good chance to make good of what this place has become. I do care about this place to an extent. But it has major problems at the top, and has done for quite a while.

10. Padawan Eden

Padawan Eden Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 1999
    Never said I didn't come here anymore, and I still care enough to think that this board sucks if Hama is allowed to remain a moderator. I said I don't come here as much as I used to because of stuff like this, and its true, I don't. And I didn't say I would stop coming here due to this, because that would be a lie, but this just makes it even clearer to me how much better the SC is than this place.

11. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    I forgive you, Hama, simply because it was, looking back on it now, a hilarious joke.

However, it would have been better left for april fool's day. The thing is that, as others have said, if GL saw this, he could close this site down faster than you could say "Cheese" and that is really, really scary. He endangered the well-being of the entire Jedi Council by his joke, which would have been a great APril fools prank, but not a feburary 25 prank.

I think he should get his mod powers removed for at least 6 mos. I also think that he should be banned for a few weeks, at least. An IP ban is a little much, IMHO.

--Mr. P :cool:

12. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    P, I don't agree with you. GL has a sense of humor; it is well documented. He luv'd GEORGE LUCAS IN LOVE. Nothing harmful was done, other than our own pride and ego. GL would've laughed and enjoyed this prank. How do we know he's not already lurking here under an alias, and laughing his head off?? [face_laugh]

13. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    What's wrong with this place?

I'm pretty sure GL himself could care less. Like Keo said, he has a sense of humor. If you've watched TPM more times than the number of fingers a human being has, you'll notice he has a big sense of humor.

Relax.

14. Gungan Din

Gungan Din Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 9, 1999
    The thing that would have made this a good April Fools' Day joke would have been if it happened on April Fools' Day.

I don't if that was the plan and yodaman ruined it, but it was done too far in advance, and not enough people were involved in it. It was destined to collapse in on itself.

Last year's trick worked because it was pretty obvious that it was a joke, but there were so many people supporting it, that there was a thread of believability to it.

Here's how I would have done this:

During the last week or so of March have someone with a name not so obvious as "George-Lucas" register, and start posting spoilers and trying to debunk spoilers in the Ep2&3 Forum. When he gets questioned, have him claim to be Lucas taking a break during editing. Then after people holler for his banning, have the Mods "check his IP address/e-mail address" and discover that he is "George@starwars.com" or something like that.

Then at midnight Australian time on April 1, have Chyren or one of the Aussie mods make "Lucas" a VIP. By not doing it on April 1 Board Time, it becomes less suspicious.

Then all day, you have "George" do a Q&A session.

Some people would fall for it hook, line, sinker; others would dismiss it as a prank; and most would be torn between the two beliefs.

Now, that would have been entertaining.

15. Zorg

Zorg Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Two words:

Get Bent.

16. I_Wear_Flannel

I_Wear_Flannel Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2000
    I thought it was funny.

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Are you really sure he'd like someone impersonating himself infront of everyone here. And then disappointing a lot of people because it turned out it wasn't him? I'm sure he would've loved it if the same person started a few more lies about the production of Ep 2 had he not have been caught out.

Face it. This was a stupid idea from the begining. What was he trying to prove? Have a laugh? Maybe. But don't prey on what a lot of people would've loved to have seen really happen: Have their hero visit with them in a way. Have a go at yourself like Chyren did on April Fool's Day last year.

What happened here today was nothing short of stupid. And you seem to think that the 'prank' is the only issue. It's not. I want to know how he could have gotten to admin status in the first place. And who's idea was it?

18. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    Hi Zorg, is jamesdrax epic? or is it epic is jamesdrax? ?[face_plain] inquiring minds want to know. :D

BTW, where is Jotun during all of these happenings today?

19. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    The only thing epic and I have in common is that our usernames are both in lower case.

;)

20. Zorg

Zorg Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Hi keo! :)

The answer to your question is :
    jamesdrax = Bubbleboy but not epic :p

Forgive my hostile answer from my previous post but if you knew what really happened to me with this you would say the same thing towards this so called joke.

21. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    Naturally, we'll forgive Hama for this incident. And given time it will be looked back upon as a ridiculous occurance. I was online throughout this whole prank and because of the prank that happened last month on the PSA board, I was very wary of believing it. Therefore, I didn't post any replies and did not personally feel hurt.

However, forgiveness doesn't = no concequences. I firmly believe in letting the punishment fit the crime, and a self-imposed ban does not qualify. Abuse of power should equal removal of power. That's the way it is in real life, in businesses, in schools, etc.

*At the very least* Hama should be put on probation and his worthiness and usefulness as a mod re-evaluated. If the admins (after careful consideration) agree that he is a useful mod and feel confident that another incident such as this won't occur again, then fine. Only a few diehards will continue to grumble and the rest of us will gradually accept Hama again. However, just having him return in a week with full mod power as if nothing had happened would not be sufficent.

22. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I would just like to say that Hama can go to hell for all I care. It was a stupid, irresponsible abuse of power. I see no reason why he should not be IP banned when someone over on the EUDF Lit thread was banned for this

"Dearest members of the EDF,

The time has come. The end of your pitiful band, of which protects your precious EU, is coming to an abrupt end.

For some time now, i and a number of others have been conspiring on a manner in which to best deal with the EDF in a cooperative and effective manner. We have studies the inner workings of the organization, tested its effectivenss on a number of "dummy threads" and even enlisted our own members within your very ranks. These agents are among some of your most established members and will help in serving our ultimate agenda.

With all of the necessary elements in place, in addition to anti-banning devices, we are close to initiating phase 1 of the attack.

The aforementioned was to serve as a declaration of hostile intent, which will be clearly evident within your very own "home base."

(evil cackles)

Oh, im afraid the EDF will be quite unoperational once our plans are set in motion...and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

**(over my shoulder, "you may fire when ready" **"

I see the prank Hama pulled to be as bad as this as he continued to propagate it, and did it as a moderator. The lack of inaction is making me doubt the use of posting here if those in charge are not going to enforce the house rules to keep this place what it is.

23. Ric-Olie

Ric-Olie Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2001
    Ewan-Kenobi's sock...

I forgive you.

But I don't know how long it will be before I can trust you again.
    You lied directly to me in a PM. That was low. I believed it because of the VIP colors. How is that gullible. Peter is here on the boards, is it impossible for Peter to tell GL to stop by sometime? No. GL likes the internet, just is usually too busy.

At least you had the guts to admit it and submit for punishment. I'm glad you didn't just shrug it off.

posted by Ewan-Kenobi

24. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    Ewan, is Ric your sock? or is Ewan Ric's sock? inquiring minds want to know? trying to keep track of everyone is a challenge here.

The disappointment every one feels is very understandable and disheartening, but let's not destroy ourselves, please. We must celebrate that GL pushes on with ep2 editting and setting up the groundwork for ep3.

25. Ric-Olie

Ric-Olie Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2001
    What do you think? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.