main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Apology

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Hama, Feb 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    This is a joke. The offence was committed here. It should be dealt with HERE. He can't just mellow back to the Fan Force when he feels like it. He decided to commit the prank here. End of story.

What measures are being taken to ensure that in the future only members deserving of being in control, will get it?

2. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    "that it won't happen again"

You know, if I was gullible enough, I just might believe that.

3. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    "What measures are being taken to ensure that in the future only members deserving of being in control, will get it?" Wedge that's a good question. Darthcleo can answer that for TFn. As for Fanforce, we certainly work closely with our staff and maintain a team-oriented atmoshpere and try to make sure that provide the best support for their area. Hama is very integral part of the Fanforce cause and does a great job. He's never pulled a prank like this before and I honestly think he meant it as a harmless joke. However, it's upset some people and broke their trust and that's what we're addressing with him.

4. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Even though I'm not familiar with his great work on the FF, it makes no difference. When he's promoted to manager over there, then his powers reach across to the JC as well. He has to have the sense to use the responsibility to be in control both here along with the FF.

He does not.

He can't just wander in to the JC, cause a stir, apologise and then expect no reaction from the JC members just because he was promoted in the FF areas to be of service there. It doesn't work like that.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    My god, you people make it sound like we Jack the Ripper posting here. Like because of this one incident all of a sudden the entire internet is going to come crashing down on us.

"Oh no, we can't trust the people on the interent." Guess what, for the most part we couldn't before either. I know, with the excepetion of a small group of people, I don't trust most people on the interent as far as I can throw them.

This is not the worst thing to happen on these boards, nor it is even close to the grossest abuse of power we have seen here. Paul was demoted and banned, yes, but compared to what Paul did, this is Jaywalking. Compared to Slackergate this is a minor offense at best. You people are making it sound like all of sudden Hama is evil. That if nothing is done and he retains his powers, the minute he gets back, we are going to see Rick McCallum show with VIP privleges and Hama right behind him verifing it. We won't. Based on all of this, I would say that Hama would be the model Mod after this. Would you try anything after going through all this? No. Regardless of what people have said, Hama has been a good Mod at this place. On a number of occaisions he has done a bang up job of cleaning up the epII/III forum when we have troll attacks. As far as I have been able to tell he has been a fairly active member of the community, and he seems like a good guy.

Yes, he exhibited a lack of judgement when the prank blew up in his face early. He didn't commit grand theft, or murder. People are talking this is a bannable offense? How many socks have we seen in the past few days that are the names of directors/actors and the like. Have they all been banned? No. Everyone thinks its funny, so don't pull that "bannable offense" thing. Yes people have been banned for it, but they were trolling with them. Harrison-Ford was a troll, and banned by Hama, if I might add. Hama posted twice as Lucas and niether of the posts was trolling in nature. Legitmacay was added because of the colors, but that again goes back into the lack of judgment, not trolling.

Again, when Hama comes back, if he retains his powers do you actually believe he will be anything but a model Moderator? If he did anything remotly controversial he would be hanged the way you people act. Everyone needs to step back from this and remember, this is the internet, this is a message board and most of all, *we are all human*. We all make mistakes. Put yourself in Hama's shoes right now. Go back and read the posts made about him, ask yourself what you would do in this situation and how you would want people to react to all of this.

6. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    Thank you, Helmet. :)

7. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    It's my opinion that this place is going downhill and the decisions being made at the top aren't helping the situation.

If someone had happened to find some info online yesterday that George Lucas was on tf.n and then found out it was a hoax, then they aren't going to like this place. Especially if they noticed it was made by someone in power here.

I'm sure theforce.net owners wouldn't like their site having traffic start to dislike this place because of such actions. The issue is WAY bigger than the hoax itself. Yet people seem sto think I'm out for Hama's blood. I'm not. I want to see this place get back on track and make sure that in future only people deserving the responsibilty gets it.

8. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Wedge, you're right and that's the issue here. What will happen as a result of this? Well, know that the Staff is furiously discussing this now and we're deciding how to handle this. We're very concerned about what's at stake here -- trust and respect for TFn and Fanforce. This all starts with our members. There are many of you that have brushed this off and decided to move. However, there are others that have issue with this and understandably so. Again, just know that we are discussing how to best handle this and ensure it will not happen again.

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    OK. Good.

10. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    >>"Hama posted twice as Lucas and niether of the posts was trolling in nature. Legitmacay was added because of the colors, but that again goes back into the lack of judgment, not trolling."

I'm all for forgiving Hama but you've got a rather gaping hole in your argument there. This is an internet message board, and it's impossible to tell who is who. Therefore, we have to rely on people who are in the know (read: staff) to tell us who is real and who is not. They have IP searching abilities and whatnot. They have told us who is real (Peter Mayhew) and who is not (Tsuneo Sanda, check out the holocaust in the Fan Art forum) and we have come to trust them.

A member came into the Fan Art forum claiming to be the well-known artist Tsuneo Sanda. He was nearly given VIP colors on this ruse. When it was revealed that he was an imposter, he was promptly banned. Now add to the situation the fact that George-Lucas was given the added ammunition of VIP colors, and you have this situation.

Now, a regular member was banned for doing what Hama did. There is physical proof of this. You must consider, however, that Hama's username was meant to be a joke, so the penalty should probably be less severe than a banning. Granted, he did nothing to stop his lie from escalating, but it was also done in jest.

11. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    That seems like a fitting punishment because there is precedent. But considering he has a role on the FF, then maybe he should be allowed to be there as a normal member.

It should be considered very heavily though.

12. scourge

scourge Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2001
    What...shall we kill him????????

Scourge:(

13. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Hama, I forgive you, although I do think that joke was in exeedingly bad taste. //puts Hama back on favorites list

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't forgive you.

15. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I wasn't here for any of this, so I'm not mad at Hama.

16. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I think Wedge needs a grip on reality. Do you own this site Wedge? Do you care how much traffic this site gets? Does it affect you?

The JC has not gone dwn hill. Same as it always has been. I have been here since 98 and every few months there is a complaint about how it is not as good as before.

Wedge, just chill and take my advice. Take your geeky fingers off the keyboard and get out for some fresh air.

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Well done. I'm looking for what's best for this place and what do you want? To put me down? Fine, if it makes you feel better. I doubt that'll help the situation.

Get a grip yourself. I've been here for a few years too. And you think this place hasn't gone downhill? Well that's good for you. Tell that to the loads of people that have left this place lately. Sure they're replaced by new members. But that doesn't make the place better.

The old 'I'm a geek' name calling comes out too. Well jeez. Takes one to know one. Come on. If that's what you're going to bring this issue down to, then you might as well not bother being involved. Listen to your own advice instead. I'm getting plenty of fresh air.

Did you even notice how many posts I'd made around here before yesterday? I challenge you to find a post by me in this forum before yesterday.

And I'm sure the owners of this site would be out to maximise their traffic, just because it's good at the moment doesn't mean they can't improve.

Now sit back and wait for what response (if any) will come of this issue.

18. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    ArtyEwok, darthcleo, and Lightsabre, thanks for keeping us informed about what is going on.

On any other occassion when the situation concerns a mod just doing their job, I fully support that those same moderators shouldn't have to explain every action they take.

However since this isn't a case of a moderator enforcing TF.n policy but rather a manager perpetrating a prank and then outright lying to members, I believe that those who were offended by this deserve to be kept up to date as to what the eventual repercussions will be.

So thanks for not just sweeping this under the rug like many people expected.

19. Skyler

Skyler Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2000
    I can't believe people can actually be offended about something so incredibly trivial. What hama did wasn't even wrong. If you feel so offended by it then leave the JC. If you're that uptight you shouldn't even be here. Go back to playing your dungeons and dragons.

20. viper_stew

viper_stew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 14, 2001
    Who died? Nobody

Hama was trying to make the forums more
    interesting, fun for a change.

Ever heard of the healing power of laughter? Chill out everyone, pull out your sense of humor.

21. Skyler

May 5, 2000
    no kidding stew.

22. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Skyler, you have no idea what the issue is about. So don't say anything. Read through EVERYTHING in the thread. The issue is NOT what he did. It's how he was put in place in the first place.

For anyone that thought it was funny or he was trying to be funny, read his first post in here. Even he admits it wasn't funny AND an abuse of power.

Let me repeat this AGAIN for anyone else that's about to make the mistake Sklyer and Stew just made. We're all waiting for some answers to a number of issues the Hama incident presented. No-one has said Hama should pay the penalty of death for what he did, so pay attention to what's going on.

OK?

23. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
  24. Skyler

May 5, 2000
    umm... no it's still funny. Hama apologised and the issue should end with that. There is no such thing as an abuse of power on a privately owned BB unless the actually owner (Scott) considers there to be one. If you don't like it then move on.

25. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Lightsabre has said in the thread that there are ligitamate issues here. Whether you see them or not. Or did you skim over that part of the thread?

You should also read over page 6 where Darthcleo said the whole matter was not only being discussed by members or admins, but the entire staff of theforce.net.

Maybe you should move on if you don't like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.