main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Appearent Theory Proof(DJ spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Knight1192, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Folks may remember after Rebirth came out that I posted a theory claiming Kyp used the Force to make Jaina think she might have feelings for Kyp. For those who don't remember, or who joined since the thread vanished into the lit forum file cabinet limbo, try here. Well, looks like my theory may have been right. Turning to Dark Journey, chapter 13, page 130:

Kyp produced his most disarming smile and enhanced it with the subtle nudge that had so disconcerted Jaina. He got the vivid impression of his effort striking an invisible wall and splattering like a mynock colliding with a Star Destroyer.

Before that, we had this from chapter 4, page 27:

"He's not the only one taking action," observed Octa Ramis, the only other Jedi in Kyp's group. A somber woman whose solid frame spoke of her origin on a high-gravity world, Octa had been shifting to an increasingly militant position for some time. She was the first Jedi to Join forces with Kyp--that is, if you didn't count Jaina Solo's temporary and Force-assisted cooperation at Sernpidal.

It is then followed up by the following from chapter 14, page 140:

"Under your command? Don't believe it," she said bluntly. "If Kyp can twist a Jedi's thoughts, he can make you think anything he wants."

The last quote is Jaina's own, and refers to what Kyp did to her to get her to bring in the New Republic military in what became the battle of Sernpidal/the shipwomb. While it and the quote from chapter 4 could be dismissed as proving nothing concerning Jaina's emotions towards Kyp, the first quote given actually suggests that he did use the Force to affect her feelings towards him.

As I said in the theory, Jaina was a bit distracted both times she found her heart racing at the mere thought of Kyp. And both times he had given her a "killer" smile, one that might be seen as being able to make some women swoon. She'd never felt anything for him in that sense, and she couldn't understand why she would do so then.

Now Kyp does so with Leia, only his attempt fails. That little nudge that he gave, the one that had disconcerted Jaina, was use of the Force. It's doubtful that Kyp expected Leia to fall for him, or at least think she felt something for him. But it's not doubtful that he wanted to distract her, make her unsure of what to do or say around him. Perhaps even appologize for her remark about how he chose to use his Jedi abilities.

Looking at the first quote, then looking at the other two quotes suggests just what I suspected, that Kyp had used the Force to get Jaina to think she had feelings for him. And Jaina appears to realize this. She's already using her personal "shields" to cut herself off from everone else, to keep them and their emotions out so that she doesn't get hurt. But with Kyp, having her shields up is even more of a rule. She knows what he's capable of doing, and is not intrested in letting him do so again.

2. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Your theory is sound. It's all more or less true. Kyp doesn't hide the fact that he "nudged" her in that direction. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, though. That Jaina has to protect herself mentally when she's around Kyp? If thats the case, as your last sentence implies:

"But with Kyp, having her shields up is even more of a rule. She knows what he's capable of doing, and is not intrested in letting him do so again."

Then I'd say you're wrong. At the end of DJ, Jaina lowers her shields around Kyp, saying he is the only one who understands her. So it wasn't really much of a rule since it didn't last long at all. There is a comfort between Kyp and Jaina. She feels at-ease around Kyp, and only Kyp.

3. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    I don't think Kyp would ever mess with someone's emotions like that. He might encourage them to do something, but force-assisted romance is beyond even him.

I also don't think that Kyp ever had umm.. romantic intentions towards Jaina. In Dark Journey he says to Jag that Jaina would only ever stand for a man that could outfly her. And we all know Kyp isn't that.

4. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Yep, you were right. In retrospect, I would have agreed with you ;)

Interesting tidbit about Leia. Do you suppose Leia knows Kyp all too well and has her shields up?

5. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    I can't see how she would know about Kyp's "reputation" any more than Jaina would. I think it's more likely her emotional state at the time and her overall experience.

6. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Do you want to tell us Kyp is a TRAITOR ???

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Do you want to tell us Kyp is a TRAITOR ???

He's a hero. But Octa Ramis is a desrting piece of Sith, and should be shot. Now.

8. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Kyp is a hero, RF. And he's my hero.

As for your theory, it is sound. But it doesn't mean that Kyp and Jaina aren't perfect for each other. Search your feelings; you know this to be true!

9. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    What I know to be true is that they are not perfect for each other. I was thinking about trusting Kyp again by the end of SbS, but once more I find trusting the NJO Kyp hard to do.

As for calling Kyp a traitor, I have yet to do that. Kyp has yet to betray folks to the Vong, but what he has done to the Jedi order is still not cool. And before you go saying that it's Luke or any other Jedi's fault, consider this. The splintering was already there before the Vong arrived, and Kyp was the leading force of it, though at the time he didn't even realize as much.

And I don't view Octa Ramis as a traitor either. I do, however, agree that she did the wrong thing in leaving Kyp when she did. It was the heat of battle, a time when Kyp needed her to be with him, even if she suddenly no longer agreed with him. After the battle, if she had left that would have been one thing. But during the battle, her desertion could have cost Kyp his life.

10. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    You are correct Knight, Kyp did use the force to nudge Jaina, though it was not apparent in Rebirth. It is also apparent that he did so to get her to go along with him, "mostly" (as EC puts it in DJ). As far as them being perfect for each that remains to be seen. I find it interesting that when he nudges Leia it is after noticing how much she resembles her daughter. Sorry Knight, I think Kyp is attracted to Jaina on some level. Well, that aside, I agree that Kyp is not a traitor but neither is he exactly a hero. As big a fan as I am of him, I still see his faults and despite them, I love his character. In fact, it is his faults that make me like his charater so much. I have always thought that Kyp had a lot of potential for growth and now as of DJ, he is beginning to show it. And, yes, I do believe that he can be trusted.

11. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Did anyone else get the feeling that Kyp viewed Jaina as much his road to redemption as he is looking to be hers? I didn't feel that he had problems teaching her the abilities she wanted to know, but that the more she used them, the more she reminded him of his own dark path, and the path he was once more taking. No it sounds like he's going to be more like Corran as far as Jedi go. That is to say that he may be willing to follow Luke but still disagree with him. Just the disagreement won't be what it's been like up to now.

12. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    True Knight, I got as much from DJ as well. I always believed that Jaina's being apprenticed to Kyp would actually be good for HIM. I look forward to seeing Kyp's future interaction with Luke and the part he plays in reestablishing the Jedi Council. I hope that the writers don't take thier own sweet time in developing that storyline. I'd love to read the expression on Luke's face when Kyp tells him about his desire.

13. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    "Did anyone else get the feeling that Kyp viewed Jaina as much his road to redemption as he is looking to be hers?"

Absolutely. Although this is open to interpretation, I think Kyp admits as much in the book:

"Did you ever think that you might be the one who's saving me? Come on back. We'll figure this out together."-- p.295, Dark Journey

14. Xani

Xani Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2001
    I disagree with you, Knight1192.

Kyp did use to the Force to nudge Jaina into trusting him and believeing what he was saying. And I do believe that he nudged Jaina (and Leia) when he smiled at each of them - to make himself appear even more charming.

However, I think that the reason Jaina fell for it is that she was receptive to the idea, whereas Leia was not. I don't mean to say that Kyp was hitting on them romanticly, per se, but he was trying to make himself appear charming, something that Jaina believed, but Leia did not.

15. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    It would be funny to see Jaina be too much for Kyp and he give her back to Mara as an apprentice, then asking Luke for the most peaceful assingment he could get so as to rest up from dealing with his former apprentice before haveing to face the Vong again.

16. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Xani, you make a good point he could have been trying to make himself appear more charming to Leia because she had made a derrogatory remark toward him. Yet, it is still interesting that he took note that she looked remarkably like her daughter with her simple straight hairstyle and then he smiled at her. I think that there is some latent attraction on his part.

17. Xani

Xani Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2001
    Oh, I do think Kyp finds Jaina attractive, and I imagine he has at least thought about her romantically.

All I am saying is that Kyp did not (and did not need to) mind-whammy Jaina into thinking that he is attractive. He must have thought as much on her own to begin with (at least a little).

18. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    I agree with Troy Denning. Kyp should be killed off. He outlasted his usefulness when he put the Sun Crusher into the Maw.

19. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Think back to VP....that's right....where would the NJO be now without Kyp and his Avengers?

20. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Sorry Xani, I must have misunderstood your previous post. It looks like we are in agreement on this point.

21. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I think that any feelings that Kyp had towards Jaina are now gone.

I mean why would he run after Jag and tell him that Jaina would only fall for a pilot who can out fly her? :confused:

That's virtually stamping it on Jags forehead telling him that he's in with a chance. ;)

Now I know that if I was interested in Jaina ( and I'm not saying that I'm not interested in her. :p )
    I wouldn't run to my main rival and tell him that he's a chance with her! [face_shocked]

So IMHO I think that Kyp is over Jaina. :D So don't frett girls ;) Kyp is still free. :p

22. Xani

Xani Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2001
    I agree with Troy Denning. Kyp should be killed off.

HUH? when did he say that?

23. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Xani, in the TFN online interview with Troy Denning by Kadue, a reader asked him a question about things that he was allowed to do and weren't allowed to do he made the statement "As for things I couldn't do, well, let's just say the Kyp Durron is a very lukcy man." It is apparent that Mr. Denning is not a Kyp fan.

As for Kyp's attraction to Jaina being gone, I don't think so. Remember the red dress? I personally don't think that he realizes his feelings at this point because as we saw from the very outset of DJ, Kyp only allows himself to care for someone so much. A person like that does not usually just jump into a romantic sentiment. I believe that over time it is possible for him to develop feelings for her as she will be the first person, aside from her father, that he will allow himself to care about since the death of his family. Personally, I think that his encouraging Jag is perhaps, a sign of his caring for her as it shows that he wants to see her happy, especially since he felt her pain over Jag's seeming rejection.

24. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Kyp's caring for Jaina seems more out of respect for an old friend and less out of actual feelings. I don't care how Han may feel about Kyp, he would be the second in line to kill Kyp if anything happened to Jaina. And I don't mean her turning to the dark side either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.