JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've put new (extra) RAM and a new HD in my PowerBook G4 - easy as pie just so you're careful and know what you're looking for. :)

Yes, you can. Just so it's not a laptop as I'm not sure how you'd do that there. :p

My point is you CAN upgrade critical pieces like RAM, video cards, and hard drives if you know what you're doing and use the right parts. My only complaint about Apple (in general) is the price of their RAM - they use really great stuff and you know it'll work but I personally would purchase RAM from Kingston or another site like that and install it myself.

Anything that uses any PC-only extension cannot even run on a Mac, so you're very correct. The viruses (that I know of) for Macs are very hard to get because no one wants to mess with designing viruses that hack into the Unix-like shell. From what I've been told by programmers it's not a lot of fun to try and write exploits for that system but I know it's been done.
  2. Canadian-Sith Jedi Youngling

star 4
    DV is abusing the mac.

He is harnessing it's power, for the sake of petty icons.

Shame. [face_shame_on_you]
  3. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    10.4.7 was released today. On a related note, 10.5 (Leopard) will be previewed next month at WWDC by Steve Jobs.
  4. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    I finally ordered my macbook on friday, cant believe the delivery estimate is 2nd August! im going to germany end of the month, wanted it with me. It says 3 - 5 days to build, 5 - 7 to deliver. Anyone ordered online to know how accurate these are, are they just overly cautious dates?

I got the standard lowest 13 inch model, but i went for the 80GB HD, thats all i had in my budget. Luckily (for me) the middle east crisis means gold prices have rocketed, and im selling an ounce i have, to fund the laptop.
  5. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    congrats on your purchase :). i hope it works out well for you.
  6. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Yeah im really looking forward to it. Used iMacs a few years back for Media Studies, really enjoyed it, even though it took me a little while to get used to it.

BTW whats everyones favourite looking iMac, mine is definately this one, very sexy, the new ones arent as good
    [image=http://sillydog.org/graph/apple/imac20.jpg]
  7. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    db, they overestimate. My Macbook was shipped from China and it arrived on the east coast in less than 3 days. I was quite surprised.
  8. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    wow, thats great, hope its a similar situation here in England.
    luckily i used my dads credit card and have a month or so to pay him back.

Should get a better idea by tomorrow, because its the first working day since then.

Also has anyone got a network at home with. I have 2 PCs on my wireless connection, wondering how difficult it will be to set up Airport to work with it. Im really not good at these things (sorting out wireless connections that is), and dont want to end up calling someone in to fix it.
  9. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    given that you must have a wireless router already, you're set to go. airport should automatically find the signal and connect when you're setting up. i'd temporarily disable the security configuration on your router to make it easier, if you have one up (password, etc.).

i was up and running right away.

if you have any trouble, don't hesitate to ask here or at a site like macrumors.
  10. Squishy_Vic Force Ghost

star 4
    I love Macs for Internet browsing, creating / drawing / managing images, and a few other projects.

I envy Windows for all the games they have that I can't get on XBOX ( AoE III, SW: GaW, Galaxies, etc. ), LimeWire, and for modding on their games.
  11. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    You envy us for Galaxies?:p Please don't.
  12. Squishy_Vic Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, aren't Age of Empires III and Galaxy at War good? :p
  13. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Empire at War. And I suppose they are good.

BTW, have you been on Xbox Live recently? How is our good old FAW doing?
  14. Squishy_Vic Force Ghost

star 4
    My bad, I meant to say Empire. :oops:

Yes, I just went on Live yesterday (teh haylow), but I have no idea what FAW is... [face_plain]
  15. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Fire at Will? The clan that Psycho Sith and Plo Koom were on?
  16. Squishy_Vic Force Ghost

star 4

I was never invited into such a clan. :(
    Besides, my clan = teh better. It's Teh Jedi Community Council

We don't have that many members though. (Me, Suzuki, a few others...)/>
  17. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Could I join? This clan sucked.
  18. Squishy_Vic Force Ghost

star 4
    Sure, I'll send you an invite maybe tomorrow or the day after. But we don't get much action... but maybe if You, Suzuki, and I team up we can have a clanmatch or something.

Back on topic:

Mac = teh cool.

edit - PM your gamertag to me please, or something.
  19. thebadge Force Ghost

star 4
    Wife=iMAC G5/20
    Me= PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7 and 23HD Cinema display and Powerbook G4 1.5 Aluminum/Superdrive

yeah life is good.
  20. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    cool, sounds ok. But ive lost my address to change security settings.
    I just hope i can get reception as far as my room...

Cant wait now...
  21. JediStarKiller2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Great to see a thread with fellow Mac owners...

I'm just waiting for photoshop and illustraitor to be released soon with versions I can run right on my Mac. I need the universal software since my G5 runs on two 512 intel chips.
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    since my G5 runs on two 512 intel chips.

that's impossible. G5s are by definition PowerPC computers, and can't have Intel chips. Are you sure you don't mean something else?
  23. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just wanted to pop my head in and say I'm using a six year old PowerBook G3 Pismo, and it still runs like a dream. Some high-end video won't play, and I'm sure games wouldn't work, but for my uses, it's the best computer I've ever had.

I'm hoping to someday get a McBook Pro (not a big McBook fan, too toy-y), but for now, I'm being given no reason to purchase a new computer.
  24. JediStarKiller2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Opps....I mean my Mac runs on the Intel Core Duo...

And I have a total of 1GB memory or two 512's.

But I can't run the current Photoshop on it because it needs to be universal software and I need to wait for the new versions to come out so I can run them on my Mac. For now I use my PC for editing and graphic design. I use my Mac to surf the web, e-mails, photos, etc...

When they do release the new versions I will have no more use for my pc.
  25. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Has anyone tried Boot Camp?