main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Here's a thing I don't like on the 4S. The option to disable 3G has been removed.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Will it be possible to put my pc's iTunes music collection onto icloud, so our iPad can access it? Similarly would there be a way of transferring photos to cloud from pc, or would they need to be put on the iPad first?

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Has to go onto one of the iDevices first.

Overall the additions that iOS5 has given are good, I'm just still navigating the issues caused by it. Found out that if you add something to the photo stream there's no way to delete it (thanks for that), so I've turned it off for now. Have had issues where my firewall program isn't up-to-date enough with some of the secondary controller programs to allow full syncing and so I've now turned off wireless syncs (not the biggest hassle). Also having issues with sync conflicts and iCloud. Not too problematic but haven't found the source of the issue. Plus you only get 5Gb of Cloud storage so if I want to put a lot of stuff to be synced on all devices I'll have to buy more.

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    So, my contract is up in November. I bought a 32GB iPhone 4 in July for $380. I am with Verizon. I've been eligible for an upgrade since June. Should I:

1.) Keep chillaxin' with no contract and not worry for now.
    2.) Wait until a 4G LTE iPhone comes out and get that (maybe October of next year?).
    3.) Buy a 32GB iPhone 4S and sell my iPhone 4 for ~$300 - which covers the new one with a contract.
    4.) Buy a 16GB iPhone 4S and sell it locally or on eBay for ~$600 - clearing $400 profit
    5.) Buy an iPhone 4S, keep it, and keep my iPhone 4 as a backup.*

* I do not like option five. Then I'd have spent a horrific amount of cash on iPhone's this year and I'd feel like a sucker.

My iPhone 4 will likely only drop in value. There's no network speed benefit to upgrading. Siri sounds nice but I can probably wait a year. If I try to profit $400 now then I can't get a subsidized 4G LTE iPhone next October (putative, obviously). If I choose to keep it, my 32GB iPhone 4 will probably still net me $300 cash, which pretty much covers my the cost of a new 32GB iPhone 4S.

What do you guys think? I don't know if the benefits of the new iPhone are worth it. If it had 4G LTE and battery life comparable to what it has on the current 3G phones, I would do it. Verizon is getting 4G LTE here by the end of this year, and it will pretty much cover my city by the end of it.

Not entirely sure what to do. Maybe I should repost this in first world problems.

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  6. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Broke ^

7. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Statistically speaking, apple have sold 925 iphones per minute since it was released.

Nice work.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed, especially given the 4S has a £700 price tag.

I tried out Siri yesterday. It responded to my request for the weather easily enough, although it got confused when I asked for football scores. Even narrowing it down to Premier league results didn't work.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Try asking about soccer.

:p

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i'm getting "i can only look for businesses in the United States, and when you're using US English. Sorry about that" to a lot of things, so definite improvement needed outside of the US. apparently Apple will gradually roll out localisations and other languages in the future. still, bit lame given the worldwide launch.

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I got my iPhone 4s today. Anyone know an easy way to get my contacts from my old phone onto the new one?

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If you have an older iPhone you can make a backup of your phone through iTunes and then install that onto your new phone. Otherwise I think you have to do the old school method of manually entering them one by one.

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Yea I am coming from a Droid.

14. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Actually save your contacts to SIM. I noticed a new (i think) feature on iOS5 which says "import SIM contacts"

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calanders > "Import SIM contacts"

Not sure if this was on older iOS, first time I saw it recently. Not sure if it works well either.

Also I'm with E, not being able to turn of 3G sucks. I did use this feature at times where 3G reception was poor.

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Your old droid's manufacturer's PC software may allow you to sync to itunes to put onto the 4S.

Otherwise it's manual as mentioned before.

Edit: Or copy to Sim :p

Older iphones will let u import from sim. None will let you copy them the other way however.

16. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I figured it out. What I did was synced my contacts with outlook and then synced my outlook contacts with itunes. I got the info on how to do it from tipb.com's forums.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    iPhones won't copy contacts to SIM? That's pretty weak. Any reasoning why (other than locking you in to using iPhones forever to easily keep your contacts :p)?

18. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Once you got iPhone, you dont go back.

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I got a black one! :cool:

20. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I think the reason it can't go backwards to SIM contacts is because of the file formats. I know with the HTC I have for work I need to manually select the type of contact I want to create and can't convert between them.

It's really odd that they've taken away the 3G option. It still exists on the iPhone4 even with iOS5. I quite often turn it off when I'm out in the country areas as they don't always have the best coverage.

21. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    My old phone didn't have a sim. Plus I don't think the Verizon iPhone doesn't even use the sim since it's CDMA.

22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    CDMA phones have SIMs here (and in most of the rest of the world). Indeed, I find the idea of a phone crippled to one network silly.

Edit: Dingo, I find that also stupid. My old phone can create quite complex contacts (Samsung Brooklyn/Corby/B5310) but if you want you can back up to SIM and it just copies the name and number without all the other fields you can add.

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Exactly. Using the SIM card to backup and transfer is the worst possible way to do it. Rox did it the best way. Android also lets you export the contacts to a file on your sd card, which you can import into outlook or other contact management software (including online mail services like gmail or yahoo).

Question: I assume if I want to use iCloud on my wife's macbook, I have to upgrade to Lion?

EDIT: Actually, it appears an update to snow leopard is coming that will include iCloud support.

24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    When I ask Siri if she's connected to SkyNet she says. "I can't answer that"

I'm scared. [face_worried]

25. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Thing I love about the 4S; the new vibrate. The old one was so freaking irritating when lying on a desk. The new one is more smooth