main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Finally picked up a 4s. Love it, Siri is more than a party trick feature. I find it to be really convenient.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are you allowed to use programs like AIM or Microsoft Office on Macs? How?

Also, where is the second mouse button? How do you right click on things?

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    [image=http://i.qkme.me/1t0m.jpg]

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Allow me to assure you that I am entirely serious.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    OK:

1) Anyone can develop software for OSX, just like anyone can develop software for Windows. Microsoft have created a version of Office that works on OSX. Ergo, you can use Office on Macs.
    2) I think Mac mice come with two buttons now. Either that or you can hold down the button. Or buy a mouse with 2.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Most Mac users I know use iChat for AIM, or something similar. You can also use the actual AIM client here: http://www.aim.com/products/mac

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    2) It didn't. No I can't. Ye gods, they don't think to package basic things standard?

8. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Wocky. I missed you.

Right-click on a mac is general control+click (as in hold down the control key when you click). I use a trackpad and I have it setup to recognize a two-finger tap as a right-click. Some mac users don't even use right-click functions. I was helping one of my designers with something recently and she didn't know what I was talking about when I told her to control+click. She had never heard of this.

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Anyone else have 1st Gen Nano? There's apparently a problem with the battery, Apple is apparently replacing them for free. And in many/most/all cases, with a a refurbished current models!
    [face_dancing]

The battery on mine was pretty much shot, so I checked the website to see how much a replacement would cost. Answer = 0!!

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    We sent our daughters one off today, but it's being replaced with another gen 1 as far as I can tell.

Where did you hear they're being replaced with refurbished new(er) models?

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    kiwis need not apply, perhaps.

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Huh?

It's a global recall, and we have confirmed the daughters one is in the recall range via serial number on the apple site, and Apple then sent us a courier pack to get it back to them. It was picked up today.

But everything I've read says that they will be replaced with refurbished Gen 1 iPods nanos.

13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/20/apple-indeed-replacing-recalled-ipod-nano-units-with-current-generation-models/

Lot's of other sites reporting the same.

My guess is they used refurbished 1st gen units at first, but ran out, and are now sending current gen models. I guess they might start sending 1st gen ones again if they refurbish the ones they've received from this recall, not sure if they have the parts for it anymore, though.

Mine shipped yesterday, will probably be a 2-3 weeks at least until I get it. I'll keep you posted. Have to admit, part of me is sad to be losing the click-wheel.

EDIT Second entry, same source: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/20/apple-now-replacing-recalled-first-gen-ipod-nanos-with-current-gen-models/

From that, it appears that if it's taking a while (which it certainly has in my case, you're probably getting the current gen. Though my inherent pessimism has me thinking I'll be one of the few getting an old one. We'll see.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Just got an e-mail from Apple that the replacement unit was shipped -- includes the serial # of the replacement -- 6G it is!

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Apple Set To Dive Deeper Into The Digital Textbook Market

Lugging around all my books in high school and college not to mention the lbs of loose papers and notepads kept me thin, but I can only imagine how nice it would have been had I been able to fully integrate notetaking with digital textbooks. If I could have typed all my notes into an iPad, annotating them directly into my books, then had all my notes instantly backed up to the Cloud...

...it almost makes me want to go back to school and get another degree.

In the long run I hope this saves college students some money. I'm not sure the cost of owning an iPad and the necessary bluetooth keyboard will be balanced well with significant discounts for digital textbooks. But at least you won't get those uneven muscles that come from carrying a heavy backpack on one shoulder.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Seems like a good idea, but the price of buying the Apple tech plus the price of the academic material would be a lot for many students. Hopefully there will be discounts of some kind available from the publishers.

Saw at least 3 people at the Zoo today using an iPad to take photos. They seemed happy carrying it around and with the picture quality although found the lack of camera flash annoying.

Of course they think it, but they know not doing so means you have to spend more buying what should come as standard. It's the same reason all the major smartphones except the iPhone come with a built-in mico-SD slot, it will cost you extra to buy an adaptor on top of the price you just paid.
    Capitalism FTW

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Wow - let's hope Australia has run out of 1G models too, and send my daughter a 6G! :D (I won't tell her it's a possibility, in case she just gets a 1G back).

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    When you get the e-mail that the unit has shipped, it will have the serial number. Go to Apple's support page, click on "Check Your Service & Support Coverage" (should be in the lower left), and type in the number in the space provided -- that will tell you what's coming.

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

EDIT: Screenshot of the service page (from Macrumors, mine comes up the same).

[image=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/ipod_nano_6th_gen_replacement.jpg]

19. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Students get a 12.5% discount when you buy stuff in the Apple Stores. Plus stuff sold through iBooks is generally cheaper than if you bought the physical copy. For a three year course, you'd probably save money in the long run (that's just a guess. My Uni course didn't have text books).

As for the Apple mouse. Mine right clicks. And it came as standard with my iMac.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Silver 6G arrived yesterday, quite lovely.

21. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I sent my 1st gen 2 gig Nano for a replacement and got a 8gig touch Nano. :D

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    This is looking promising! Nothing on the Apple site yet to indicate what we'll get back.

23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Mine was a 4gig. Double (or quadruple in your case) the capacity is quite a nice little cherry on top, isn't it? [face_dancing]

24. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Absolutely. I was expecting a new 1st gen but was quite pleased to find out I got an upgrade. It was worth the wait :)

25. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Ok so...here's the deal, I spilled a small amount of Coke on my keyboard Friday night. Violent coughing and sneezing caused the panic-inducing spill. I did all that you were supposed to do: (shut it off, flip it over, hair dryer, yadda yadda). It is working now (I am posting this off of said MacBook). However, my computer is stuck in CAPS. It's not the capslock (which responds to me turning it on and off). When I boot up my computer, it goes into safe mode (shift being held down?). I have popped off both keys and there is NO coke residue on either of them. WTF do I do? I hesitate to bring it in because it will void Applecare if they discover any coke residue inside...