JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Anyone have problems with discoloration on their Macbook? Apparently this was a problem at the very beginning. The white part around the keyboard would turn pink after a lot of contact with hands. Mine is starting to do that even though I got it a few months after they debuted and I thought the problem was fixed by then, although it's not really bad yet. I think Apple will replace the material around the keyboard, but still, a bit of a pain.
  2. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Yeah apparantly its a big problem, there is a huge blog about it too.
    Hopefully my one wont get it, seeing as its ordered now, been a few months.
  3. darth_grievous1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I've never had a mac, and personally, I wish my old school would ahve dumped them and got PC's. Why? For starts, if you accidently hit on of the F keys (F1 - F12) it would crash. Secondly, you had to hold down your mouse to scroll through menus. Thrid, the mouse. I like have two buttons and a scrolly wheel. [face_plain]
  4. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Amen. I can't stand the single-button mice. You lose so much functionality when you don't have right click. I use the second mouse button all the time. And scroll wheels are useful also. If anything, people should be developing mice that have even more buttons so you can do more stuff, not fewer buttons.
  5. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Apple's Mighty Mouse. Vertical/horizontal scroll wheel, left and right click (OSX has supported all of this from the start back in 2000-ish), Expose and Dashboard buttons also. :p
  6. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    They shipped my macbook yestersay afternoon! Now its just a race against time to see if it can get from China to London before my holiday (which means i'll have to get it by monday, because i leave early tuesday morning)
  7. JediStarKiller2 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have the mighty mouse and I have four buttons on my mouse...is that enough for you?
  8. skawookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, the one-button mouses are annoying, but you can always control-click if you don't have a Mighty Mouse. and I use an iBook, so i just use the 2-fingers-on-the-touchpad scrolling, so it's not bad at all. The benifits of the mac far outweigh the mouse deal.
  9. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    These things are called Macbooks?
  10. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Yeah, i just bought one, should be with me soon-ish (been posted, but coming from China)
  11. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    I have a Macbook of some sort. They gave it to me to familiarize myself with it...but I don't really feel comfortable with Macs. What is the possible advantage over a good old PC that runs all of my favorite programs?
  12. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    The Intel laptops, yes.
  13. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Most programs run on MAC.
    Took me a while to get used to it, but its far superior.

You might not have Macbook, its only a few months old. Your school mighta given you an iBook (which the Macbook replaced)
  14. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    Whatever it is, it's new, but I think it's an iBook. Are there any major differences?
  15. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    alot...its a huge update, asthetically and technically (mainly).

ibook
    http://nl.gizmodo.com/white_ibook3.jpg

macbook
    http://images.apple.com/macbook/gallery/images/macbook1white20050516.jpg

It does say which one it is under the screen :p

16. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    Apparently I have an iBook G4.
  17. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Ah ok. A nice machine, be happy you have one (i would be, because i desperately need any laptop, no matter what model)
  18. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    Excellente. I've heard that these ibooks supposedly have superior processing speed to PCs or Microsoft laptops. Does the buck stop there, as for advantages?
  19. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    EDIT: Well then. never mind :p
  20. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Im not a mac expert, only used it for 2 years at school (once a week, spent browsing on the net lol)
    But when it comes to Viruses, you will be very safe, nearly all viruses are made for Microsoft PCs.

Also Mac is a million times better for video editing, music making, etc. Thats why we had them at school, for Media Studies class. Find Garage Band on your Mac, you might be interested in making some music there.
    Making home videos is also brilliant on mac, check out iMovies (not sure if thos comes standard on all macs, or if it has to be purchased)

^ thats all i used the Mac for back then
  21. YoungAngus Jedi Youngling

star 5
    [image=http://images.apple.com/getamac/images/indextop20060501.jpg]
  22. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    lol @ the cool guy actually being a dork
  23. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm gonna be taking music theory, so if its better for music that will be dope.
  24. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    Is that a hardware or softwear thing, or is is a setting I can choose? Because I find myself unable to do that...
  25. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Had my Macbook a few days now, really loving it. My wireless net isnt being detected by it though for some reason grrr