main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i like apples. but i don't like them as much when you get closer to the core, because it gets all mealy and gross.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Original.

3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    next time i will reach out to you and take advantage of your intimate knowledge of the content of every long thread on the board before i post.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Zip it, noob.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm wondering how many annoying glitches it will take to drive the masses away from Apple. As if getting lost due to their dumb maps isn't bad enough, now they can't even wake you up properly.

Seems all that money Mr Cook bleeds out of people is really being used to refine and rigorously test stuff, I assume Apple will still claim it's innovative or something.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You are kidding right? They still have top notch customer approval and customer satisfaction ratings. No company is perfect and Mr. Cook acknowledged the issue with Maps and is taking huge steps to fix it. And by the way, Do Not Disturb has nothing to do with waking anyone up. That's what an alarm is for, which works fine on iOS. But hey why bother with facts before you criticize a company for something that happens to ALL technology. And you know that Android phones are also plagued by annoying glitches too right? And let's not even talk about the annoying glitches in Microsoft products. Honestly, who expects perfection out of technology?

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Nobody. We just dislike smug, self righteous hipster douche brands that have no reason to be so smug because once you get past the philosophy of form over function, Apple's not really great for much outside of design or video editing.

Unless you figure spending a packet on a Facebook machine is worth it?

George Roper likes this.
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That is without a doubt just your own opinion. Myself and many MANY apple users I know use our Macs for far more than just design and editing. They do it well. The OS is far superior in my experience just for using and navigating and stability. I have UNIX under the hood for all sorts of things, if I need it. And honestly, you're just going to ride the tired cliches of platform war crap, is there really a reason to post in this thread?

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK so what else do you use it for?

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Apple does, given how much they claim they are the best and how much they charge for their apparently superior technology.

Of course Android has glitches, but they don't go around acting like what they make is endowed by tears from the Almighty himself. And they don't use underhand tactics to ensure they dominate the market when they realise their product isn't actually as good as they claim it is.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Everything. Everything you do on your computer. I use a Mac at work. I support 1500 Apple computers for my company. I use Firefox, Safari, Outlook, instant messaging, iTunes, Calendaring, HTML code, Adobe CS, Visio docs, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, photo importing and organizing, FTP, remoting into other computers for support, UNIX terminal commands and more. Oh and at home, I do design and video editing.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am wondering, if both of you hate Apple and their products so much, why are you posting in this thread?

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Hate the products is a strong word, hate the company.

They make some decent stuff, it's just over-priced and over-rated (and stupidly limited).
    Consider it a crusade to elighten the masses who clearly have been fooled by powerful acts of deception.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Truly a Star Wars message board is an effective staging ground for this modern, adult variant on the old console wars. Perhaps we can begin talking about how Linux does what Nintendon't.

Bacon164 likes this.
  16. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I started using Apple products after having a run of horrible PCs and Android phones. I will never go back. I love my MacBook and iPhone. I don't understand why you are in here bashing Apple products if you hate the things. Why don't you start a debate thread instead?

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow that's arrogant of you. Spare me your enlightenment. You assume that because we don't share your opinions that we are fools who have been deceived and need enlightening? Who do you think you are? You don't like their products and don't wanna use them? Fine. Don't force your opinions on the rest of us.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I force no-one, nothing is beyond criticism. Ya'll are welcome to bash Android if ever a thread is made discussing their stuff.

Or Windows for that matter, I'm sure Jello would love it.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That is neither a criticism nor a "bash" in a discussion. That is an arrogant statement about a crusade to enlighten fools who've allowed themselves to be deceived.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well no Strilo, your machine can't compete with mine as a games platform.

21. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well that's good, as I hate video games and think they are a huge waste of time.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I feel many Apple fans have been deceived, I see many who want stuff solely because of the brand or because others have it with no thought to even researching the alternatives first.

I'm not aiming it at any particular person here, neither am I saying everyone here didn't decide on an Apple product after a lot of thought and research. But any argument I've heard here and elsewhere about why one prefers Apple doesn't seem particularly compelling when what most people like about Apple products can be done by pretty much everything else and often better.
    If you use a Mac because you do editing, OK, Macs are good at that. If you don't, I personally ask why you fork out crazy money for a fancy-looking computer.

I personally dislike iTunes, but the iPod itslef is a pretty solid device. I just refuse to be bound to using software I hate when with other products I can use what I want.

A lot of people buy into stuff because they are told it's good, all I'm saying is perhaps such people should spend more time looking harder first.

But for the sake of further argument I will say no more on the matter.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah you are right. My $599 Mac is HUGELY expensive.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yep. But to be fair, it's about 3mo old and was purpose built to run games.

A comparable Mac would have cost 4x the price. In a scenario like Strilo's work, they would be able to apply discounts so the normal issue of overpriced machines wouldn't apply but for home machines, you will pay more for absolutely no benefit for an Apple product.

I will say this; I loved the iPhone 3 on release, because they had the foresight to take a concept that was exclusively for the business elite and made it a mass market toy that we cannot live without. That's vision.

Since then, they have become capricious, spiteful monopolists that remind us of Microsoft in the 90's. Except, with far worse fanboys (due to the advent of the image-conscious hipster, for one)

I have yet to hear a compelling argument in favour of Apple's pricing model, and their annoying way of making their peripherals incompatible with the computing industry. Have they not realised that's what hurt them during the 80's and 90's?