main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    To me, it's more the issue of "just pay the $10,000 and slap an HDMI port on your ****ing Macbooks and iMacs-- and iPads and iPhones while you're at it."

solojones likes this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, you know that I like watching stuff on my laptop and now my iMac, though I haven't really done much of the latter yet. I can say that watching my favorite films and TV episodes on my 17 inch MBP was plenty good enough for me. I'm not one to watch stuff on TV, I think, mostly because it feels too distant. An odd thing, I know, but everyone's got their stuff. Given how moved I was by, say, FNL on my MBP, I'm not sure how much better things could have been with anything else.

As for the iPhone vs. Android, I'm one of the "them," and I just go with what works. When things work the way they should, people tend not to change too much. I certainly don't. How much more stuff do you really need than what the 4S or I guess now the 5 provides? I have no interest in getting a 5, for the same reason I have no interest in an Android phone. What I have works well for me, and I don't need anything more than what it offers. When it comes to known vs. unknown, people go with the known that works. Even if I did look at other brands, I'm not sure what I could be gaining that I don't already have and use. The screen can only be so much bigger before it becomes unwieldy, and the resolution is already great (or so it seems to me).

I've watched stuff on my iPhone and been fine with it. I sort of walk all over tradition. I know it's not really a good thing, but it works for me.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Except to make it physically fit with the other ports you'd basically have to use a Type D, in which case you've added a less efficient connection port that still requires an adapter or specialized cable to use. And, frankly, if they managed to find that much space I'd rather they just throw on another USB port.

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Bigger screeeeeeeen. 5x5 icons with widgets. PLEAAASASSEEEE.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, thank God Apple hasn't come up with their own alternative to that, huh? :p

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No disagreements there. :p

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    KW, I think it makes sense for you since you don't drive, but good God every time I have to use an iPhone for navigation (either the old version or the new iMaps version), I am seriously baffled as to why anyone counts that as "just working". Their driving navigation is seriously awful. I had a standalone GPS and then Android with Google navigation, and so I'd never used anything but a great turn by turn navigator. I had no idea really how poor the iPhone was for navigation until I started dating someone with an iPhone. But most people who've never had any kind of smart phone or GPS besides an iPhone I think just genuinely don't know how much better Google Navigation on an Android phone is.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I stopped using the old Gmaps application quite awhile ago. Crappy database for where I live, bird's eye view years after everything else in the App Store had 3D, no turn by turn directions-my Garmin is far superior.

As for Gmaps for Android still being better-no, it's not.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/12/take-that-apple-maps/

As I mentioned, the UI is unlike what you saw previous to iOS 6, which used Google Maps exclusively. It’s also nothing like you’ve seen on Android, either. The team really hunkered down and pushed out something that utilizes all of the available design elements and gestures built into iOS. Since the app is built on OpenGL, it’s extremely snappy.
    “It’s been an interesting half year,” Graf told me, clearly referring to Apple’s decision to go out on its own when it comes to maps.
    The result? A completely new app from scratch with a progressive user experience:
    You’re not going to see any menu here, the map is the UI. The map is completely vector based, very fast, and we have the search box on top. Those are the two things Google is familiar with, speed and search. Panning around is super fast, labels appear quickly. You Zoom in, you can pan down with gestures for 3D.

I've used it some, and it is awfully nice, but it doesn't do anything my Garmin doesn't already do. And it's definitely not similar to the Gmaps for Android application, either-Gmaps for iOS pans literally as you move. The UI isn't at all the same.​

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

Except that HDMI isn't the superior output. And still needs adapters to use it with anything but HDMI. ;) Still, cheers I guess if lower screen resolution is your thing.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    eh having just gone Android I do think their maps is better.

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    As I own both a Nexus 7 and an iPhone, no it's not. They're wholly different apps and work significantly differently-the iOS version ties into your accelerometer and pans literally as you turn. The Android version doesn't.

There's also this:

Google, Android site both state Gmaps for iOS is better

Edit:

Original New York Times Article

I won't go on and say that apple maps is great or even very good, but right now iOS has the hands-down best map application.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hell do you need the damn thing to pan for?

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, because your map instantly pointing in the same direction you are is not of any use in any kind of way. /s It improves situational awareness, or do we really need a breakdown of orienting your map to the terrain you're on?

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Pfft if you can't read a map whatever direction it's facing you should invest in a glass of concrete to harden up!

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Right right. In the meantime the rest of us will enjoy our maps working for us. :D

16. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I had a MacBook Pro since August of 2010, and it worked like a dream. Unfortunately, the hard drive failed on it May 2011, but I got it fixed for free since it was under warranty still. Then the last week of November it stops working again, so I assumed that the hard drive broke again which would be irritating but fixable.

Nope the logic board failed on it. I could get it replaced, but that costs a lot of money with me being a starving college student. Sadly, I'm going to have to switch over to a PC. :(

Mind you, I really really loved my Mac with the reliable service and a great working DVD player. I was most likely given a faulty laptop which is frusterating, but I still appreciate Apple for the great 2.5 years that I had with it.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Uh, DarthBoba, my Google Navigation pans to face the direction that my car is pointing, too. That's not new.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I use a free 3rd party GPS app on our iOS devices. Works perfectly.

DarthBoba likes this.
  20. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    The inevitable has finally happened: after 3 years with no problems whatsoever; last night I dropped my iPhone 4 -it fell face down, of course- and there is a big crack on the corner plus a hairline crack across the screen. I may get an upgrade in a few months so don't want to pay the $65 it would cost to have it repaired. I'm thinking of buying the replacement parts and just fix it myself...it will at least solve the problem until I get an upgrade a few months down the road. Little shards of glass have been falling from the corner crack.

Sadly, this incident finally made me seriously consider an upgrade.

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I've never cracked an iPhone screen... *crosses fingers*

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Don't fix it, Morella. I heard on the news that having a cracked screen is the cool new thing. It gives you street cred.

23. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    How about you seriously consider drinking less?

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, smartphones can be pretty easy to lose a grip on especially if there isn't a case. I've had close calls when completely sober! 'Cause I'm kind of clumsy, but still.

25. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Nonsense, Debo. Besides, I've also dropped the phone several times while sober and it never broke before.