main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    glad you like it :). try getting tech help here. lots of good people.

2. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    What type of router do you have? If it is not a g router, the Macbook airport won't pick it up.

3. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Nah it is a G router. I think there are problems because of the security i have put around it, and i have no idea how to edit those settings on my pc. Ive even forgotten the password/network names and stuff. But the strange thing is, that when i tried to plug my internet in directly (via the USB port), it didnt find it or anything. Like if i stick that USB cable into my sisters Windows laptop, it will autimatically let me go online...

Also few software q's.
    I got VLC Player and Real Player versions that work with Mac, but what i really want it WinAmp. Anyone have a link for the latest Mac WinAmp? I couldnt even confirm if it existed...
    Also the latest Media Player for Mac. I got one, but it didnt install.
    ^ also doing all this has been a pain because my lack on internet, ive had to use USB HD's to put all the files onto my Mac.

Also people have always said PCs are easier to use, but i think after 2 days with a Mac, its safe to say there is no comparison. Ive learnt how to use a mac properly within this time...when it comes to Windows, im still learning new stuff everyday, because its so complex. Just setting up basic things can became a problem on Windows.
    Also the user interface is so simple as well. And the programs you get with it are so so much better than the crappy free stuff Bill Gates gives you.
    This isnt to say im anti-windows, i love it too. But OS X is so much better

4. DarkSyder

DarkSyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    Clock for clock, a Core Duo is faster than a G5 processor, which in turn is faster than a G4. The Core Duo is used in both the MacBooks and PC laptops. So your statement is not correct. And let's not even get into the Core 2 Duo offerings both Apple and PC manufacturers will have. These are quite possibly the most impressive CPUs seen to date. From here on out, Macs and PCs will have equal processing capacity.

Are you serious? And I was thinking of getting one so I can use it with my school's wireless. In that case, the Dell XPS M1210 is a superior machine. It has the same CPU, better (i.e. Nvidia) video card, wireless B compatibility. I was going to install dual boot Linux/OSX on it so I could have both LightWave (OSX/Windows only) and Houdini (Linux/Windows only).

5. Bananakin

Bananakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2003
    Can you get a normal mouse for a mac yet?

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    When haven't you been able to use a three button mouse on a Mac? Not for many many years at the very least.

7. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Does anyone know of a place to do a kind of trade-up deal to get a Macbook? I know Apple doesn't have a program, but is there a reseller or someplace to go to? My iBook is only a few months old, but I kind of want one of the Macbooks.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Apple previews OS X 10.5 next week (the 4th major update since the release of XP). Many other announcements possible as well.

9. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Great thread! =D=

I'm excited about my iMac G5; 20" widescreen monitor, Tiger 10.4, bluetooth, Airport Extreme, 1 GB of RAM, a whopping 250 GB ata HD and countless other "toys." I was given a Celeron PC with Windows Office XP, but, I love the simplicity of use and graphics of the iMac.

One thing though:

I downloaded Firefox 1.5 (waiting for FF2) and began using it, but, I can't view any pdf documents (with Adobe Reader). When I go to view something, I get a message dialogue box, "what should Firefox do with this file?" It gives me the option of saving to disk, or, choosing an application to open it with. When I select Adobe Reader and click "open," I receive a "no information found" message and a "blank" copy of the document appears on the desktop. I have no problems viewing documents with Adobe when I run everything through Safari. So, right now, I use Firefox just to browse the web.

Any ideas? Thanks!

10. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I heard Firefox SUCKS on Macs. Try using a different browser.

11. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    I use Safari...it comes with the Mac's and I love it...much easier than any other browsers I've used.

12. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I really like Safari too, but occasionally you run into a problem with something only wanting to show up on IE.

13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I use AOL for my mac. It sort of sucks. Because it's nowheres near as good as the normal AOL.

14. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Thanks for the tips.

I'm able to view documents with Adobe Reader using Safari, but, certain features in Gmail don't show when using it; like being able to tell who is online so I can chat with them using Gtalk. Most of the time, I have two windows open...one with Firefox and the other Safari.

Anyone using the Intel based Macs? What do you think so far? Since I just bought this iMac G5, I'm not exactly going to run out and get an Intel based one yet. This purchase was kinda pricey even with the $100 rebate and no interest for a year.

Firewall question: A firewall system is free to all comcast internet customers through McAfee; but, when I signed up, the website said it's not available for Macs. Any suggestions? [face_thinking]

15. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    I have an intel based one, runs very nicely

16. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Question here. I have an iBook G4 (love it, runs great), about a month old. What I also have is this Microsoft Office software that I've tried to install on it. On the cover of the software it says it will work with Macs and it should start running when I pop the disk in. My problem is that it's not starting when I pop it in, and haven't yet been able to get in touch with the software people. So until then, does anyone have any ideas as to why this is?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Btw, how are those Macbooks? I had the option of getting that instead of the G4, but opted for the one I got because the screen was bigger and it came with a warranty. So, tell me, did I make the totally wrong decision? I'm happy with this one, using it for school, but I can't help but think I made a mistake.

-Krystal

17. Darth_Walters

Darth_Walters Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2006
    The only mistake you made was getting an Apple :oops: As for your other problem you may have to ajust your settings. I only use Dells but for some reason I had to change my settings to allow it to install plug-ins and programs.

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    apple released a 24 inch imac today, and updated to the core 2 duos for all imacs.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Major updates to iTunes, iPods and the addition of disney movies for download. See here for more info :).

20. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Yeah, good idea to apply advice about Dells to a real computer. o_O

Now, I installed MS Office on my PowerBook a while ago. If the computer can read the disc, it should appear as a CD icon beneath the Mac HD icon on your desktop (or somewhere else on the desktop if you've got alot of stuff there). Click that CD icon, and you should find the file you need.

21. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    How major is the iTunes update? They never seem that drastic to me (aside from a cosmetic change)...

22. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    theres also an overhaul of the music store, adding movies, adding GAMES for the first time, and adding a new veiwing mode for your CD art.

23. Jedi_Hendrix

Jedi_Hendrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2005
    Anyone else have their MacBook Pro batteries recalled?
    What a pain in the butt. Explains why my laptop kept shutting off though.

And for some reason my letter A is flaking off. :(
    It looks dirty. Can I replace one letter on the keyboard?

24. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    3 different ways of viewing your music, list, album view, and album scoll view.
    Re-design of the sidebar, splitting your library, devices, store and playlists into seperate parts.
    Also devices now have settings built into the screen so you dont have to go to Edit>preferences, none of that stuff.
    You can also (if you have a music store account) download album art for your songs. Just ctrl+a the songs and right click> get album artwork. Takes a while but it makes the album scroll view much better.

25. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Glory to the 17" PowerBook/Macbook Pro- no battery recalls.

That's weird that your A is flaking off... It's got the silver keys and the backlighting, right? I've been typing away on my laptop for a year and have no flaking yet, although the paint does look a bit dirty in a couple places.

A classmate who got the 15" powerbook really ****** up his keyboard... I think he had to replace the entire keyboard. He also had to have alot of stuff repaired because he really treated the laptop like ****. He dropped it, slammed it on the table after taking it out of his backpack.... turned it on INSIDE his backpack, wedging the laptop open so he could listen to iTunes without taking the computer out.... and many things that are too terrible to name.

One key, maybe they'll send you a replacement. But it's a bit of a doozy to replace the keys... I had a tough time replacing my ESC key after I popped it off to clean underneath.