main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There's an old Mickey Mouse watch of mine I re-discovered recently -during a cleaning of my desk- that I wouldn't mind/would like to fix; Lately, I'm finding checking the time via my iPod touch when I'm out can be too distracting, especially when I'm on my walks.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm trying to decide what it would need to be able to do for $350 that would make me want one, considering that I still need to own and carry around my *even bigger* iPhone. Maybe if I'm 75 years old and it sends real time vitals to my doctor and alerts a loved one when I fall and can't get up and also tests my blood sugar level and reminds me when to take my pills and administers neuro psych tests for early warning signs of dementia and acts as a universal remote control for the tv that I can't lose under the sofa cushions because it's strapped to my wrist.

I'd totally buy that for my elderly parents.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Why do you say this to me, when you know I would rewrite Man of Steel for it...

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I bet if Apple simply rebranded Google Glass and released it, it would sell in the millions. I bet if whoever-the-****-the-CEO-is-now took a **** in a box and called it an iTurd, people would buy it and wear it like a fanny pack.

Ender Sai and Darth Tunes like this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    If anyone is under the impression that Apple Watch is just a small iPhone strapped to your wrist, let me assure you that it is oh so much less than that.

yankee8255, Ender Sai and Darth-Lando like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    While the iPad is just a giant iPhone with no phone, the iWatch Apple Watch takes it further and requires an iPhone to work at all. It appears to be for people who have $350 to throw away just because they're too lazy to take their iPhones out of their pockets.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    the iPhone 6 plus will be so tightly wedged in people's pockets that they won't be able to get them out at all.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The best part of today was the free U2 album and I'm not even that big of a fan of theirs. But hey, free is free.

9. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    A free U2 album is like getting cancer for free.

Darth Guy, Ender Sai, FatBurt and 8 others like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't worn a watch since 2002 or so, I doubt I'll start now. As far as the iPhone 6, my biggest hope for it is that Sprint will lower the price for my upgrade from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5S.

No desire for a 6 at the moment. I never buy the latest technology right when it comes out, and I don't understand why people want large phones.

Posted from my iPad 2 because an iPad 3 was not worth the extra $200
    Using Safari because Tapatalk HD is headache-inducing

heels1785 likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't like this larger phone trend. Blah. I also tend to upgrade fairly often, but resent having my cases outmoded by new form factors.

That's not entirely true -- there are some iPad-only apps, including things like office suites and stuff. Though why anybody would want to type on that thing is beyond me. But it's useful for bars and restaurants who want to have a show-offy menu I guess.

Darth Tunes and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I agree with your point there, Iello, concerning its uses in a bar/restaurant setting; The Elephant Bar chain in particular uses 'em for that purpose, and it made going there for drinks a much better experience... less ridiculous chit-chat with the bartenders, more precise ordering for drinks.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I use my iPad because I like to sit on my couch and post. :p The chair in front of my desktop is uncomfortable.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's apparently the single best touch pad-based device for LaTeX on the market, so if you want something more portable than a laptop or a desktop and you absolutely have to math... well, there you go.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    So terrible word processing, math, and bar menus. Guys, I'm sorry. I was totally wrong about the iPad.

Rogue_Follower and Ender Sai like this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Also basically every lab science by extension. LaTeX is pretty ubiquitous in academic STEM-land.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think the first thing to address is that the name LaTeX sounds like a sex toy advertised on late night TV.

Coruscant, KnightWriter and Ender Sai like this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well duh.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    They tried to make us use LaTeX for writing our reports in final year engineering. We used Word instead. 300MB Word files and Equation Editor ftw.

Also all of these seem pointless. The only remaining point of a watch is to look nice, and these fail.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Tim Cook was saying the iWatch will do to Switzerland what the iPhone did to Blackberry.

The stupidity of this statement takes my breath away.

Firstly; I'm sorry, if you think your iWatch is better than my Seamaster you're kidding yourself.

Secondly; most of these companies are owned by the parent Swatch group, who make... quality accessible watches. So, no, it won't do the same you idiot. Steve Jobs will be so angry in whatever hell people like him deserve to go to... the iPhone made the smart phone a tool of the masses, whereas with Blackberry it was an executive device.

If Swatch didn't exist, maybe, but they do so you're just another annoying Apple ****, Mr Cook. However, be sure to build in a function that mandates daily syncing to the iClock to determine time. And as your legion of loyal ovine followers love how you make decisions for them, like that Flash isn't crucial or that bespoke video formats are the best, they'll also be happy with whatever timezone you set. "I like that Apple has set me for local time in Johannesburg, despite living in Shanghai. They know what's best for me and I trust them", said a typical Apple fanboy.

Sodding Apple.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You monster.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It will come as no surprise that we coded LaTeX extensions to generate schedules in graphical forms for our semesters...

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    My contract is up and I'm getting a new iphone. Which one will depend upon comfort once in hand. I'm also getting an Apple watch, the higher end one. So **** all of you :)

Coruscant likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

A "higher end" one? Adorable.

The iWatch will be the new TAG-Heuer, only it'll cost less. [face_plain]

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Apple Watch, not iWatch.

Coruscant likes this.