main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Babylon 5 reference is funnier.

3. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I'll probably get one, because it's kind of what I do as a wearable product designer, and I'll have a kind-of competing product on the market by end of year. I'm more interested in what's functionally a new OS and the interaction design, and the app development opportunities.

The "digital crown" was the most laugh-out-loud part of the presentation. It's a DIAL, guys.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

So is a crown? :p

A friend of mine has a Samsung Gear and has added all these screens that replicate the look of the PIPBoy from Fallout, the Submariner watch from Rolex, the Superocean II from Breitling etc but ultimately he said it's all fairly crap and expects the Apple Watch to be no different. Gimmicky, cute, but years off being close to what these companies envision it doing.

My question though, honestly, is this - my Seamaster is about 5 years old and still looks good. I will likely still own it in 5 years time. Do you see that being the case with smartwatches, or are you forever upgrading it - changing it in nature from jewelry to gadget?

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I saw an interface on the Moto 360 smart watch that looked like the screen from GoldenEye on N64. The health bar would even decrease as the battery went down.
    That's cool I guess, but it's just a novelty. If you already have a smartphone with you all the time I don't see why a smart watch is necessary.
    Were they ultimately to replace phones then they might be worth it, but that is years away

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 and Debo like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Well as I understand it it's ease of access to some of the functionality, but a good watch should last a number of years, right? I mean, even if you guy a $300 Guess? watch it should be a 5 year thing.

With phones being cycled every 18-36 months depending on the consumer, as new models come out, what happens to watches?

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  9. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    There's no way smart watches, including Apple Watch, will last more than 3 years for the majority of consumers. They might get the next version of the same thing, but any device that uses that kind of technology is obsolete within 2-3 years. Partly because the hardware improves, partly because the software improves and requires better hardware, and partly because that's how homie brings home bank.

This isn't a product for people that already have nice watches that they're attached to. It's for people that like gadgets and either don't wear a watch already, or have no particular attachment to the one they own.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone pre-order a 6 or 6 Plus?

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm going to the Apple Store later. I want them in hand before deciding between the two.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Went with the 6 myself. Just looking at a mockup of the size was enough to convince me, and the fact that I could get a memory upgrade at the same price as jumping to a Plus didn't hurt either. I spent more time agonizing over the color tbh :p

It's unfortunate to have one that's not top of the line as I get it, but I don't care so much about that. It's still a big improvement on the regular 5.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's for people that Kickstarter'd Pebble and Apple putting Pebble out of business.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Great for using the 6 Plus's new exercise features! It can also be strapped to your shoulder like a random piece of plate mail.

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm looking forward to the iFannypack.

Coruscant likes this.
  17. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    So, did anyone listen to the free U2 album yet?

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The only person I know who likes both U2 and Apple is KW, so I assume he has.

Everyone else is too busy finding ways to remove it.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm a fan of both, like KW, and am very excited about the phone. The album sucks. Though the internet ****storm people are making out of it is pretty absurd. People, ever here of a concept called "delete"?

Everton and Darth Tunes like this.
  21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It didn't appear on my account. I'd kinda like it to, just so I can delete it.

yankee8255 likes this.
  22. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yeah, unless you have the option selected that your iTunes purchases are automatically downloaded, you'll never even see it.

Everton likes this.
  23. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    But even if you delete an album from your playlist, it'll be there, lurking in the cloud. I wish I knew how to delete songs in the cloud, I want to get rid of the stupid sample songs.

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So, iOS8... fingers crossed this install doesn't bork my phone, like my windows 8.1 upgrade from 8.0 screwed my PC up.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So... bork or no bork?