main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

I initially read that as "hoardologist," which doesn't seem completely off the mark, if you look at it in a certain way.

Debo likes this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This past weekend I upgraded from my old iPhone 4S to a new iPhone 6. [face_dancing]

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I like watches, as with business wear they're one of the few ways you can display some personal flair, IMO. I'm far below ES's level though, I only have Fossil-level. :p

But yeah, wearable watch, no thanks. Except for exercise perhaps.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    SuperWatto once made me take a picture of my watch to prove I had one.

EHT likes this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That was in my strident days.

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Lady Warp Spasm

Lady Warp Spasm Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm an Apple user. While one of the gold watches is pretty, I am perfectly good with the clock on my iPhone. I'd rather put that money into an Apple computer.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would do it if the price dropped A LOT, just to keep from having to take my phone with me when I run.

And the only thing I really care about is speed and distance. My Mom has a FitBit and I find those a bit too type A for my taste. I don't need a device to tell me I've had "restless sleep" and I don't care how many steps I walk per day. My iPhone 5S has a health app that my 4S did not have, my parents showed me its features, but I haven't done anything with it other than enter vitals and allergies.

So...yeah, I'd use the iWatch (basic strap, no bling) but not enough for that price.

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think the FitBit is a fine enough ting dedicated to one particular feature, and I'm okay with that and wouldn't mind having one because I play a ton of videogames and quantifying how well I'm doing would probably work great for me :p

As for the iWatch, I'd probably use it, but not to the level they're pushing it at. Some of the more futuristic features you can already do with your phone (unlock your home door, use the pay pass thing) but I don't live in a tech city so...yeah. I think it's a decent enough product that'll sell millions but I also think they're going to have a new one in two years' time (and I think that's being generous with the time frame, as one year is just as likely) and I think that the world doesn't really care about smart watches.

I mean, I have a brand new MacBook Pro, an older Mac Pro tower, two different iPods and an iPhone 4S, but will I get the watch? I doubt it. It just fills a role that the phone effectively eliminated. My phone counts my steps and how far I've walked in a single day, too, and I already spent too much money on it.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The watch: I've read some amusing comments about folks wanting to buy the new Macbook at the brick and mortar stores and there were no MacBooks (those are coming in on the same day as the watches.) Yet the sales staff were offering appointments for the watches instead.

If you want a watch, great.

For me, I'm good with a iPhone and an Apple computer.

Here's to my aging iMac holding out for 12-18 months at least. I just upgraded to Yosemite and hope it's more stable on this machine than Mavericks was.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone use a shared calendar on their iPhone? My GF and I have one called "Shared" to sync events and we found it to be very useful so this way we don't end up double booked. Unfortunately, all of a sudden, a few weeks ago, we found out that when I create or update an event, she does not get notified. If she creates/edits, I do get notified. I've googled and tried a bunch of different solutions that I found on the web and nothing appears to be working. Anyone else run into this and have any ideas?

Side note: Sometimes when she goes into her settings and then exits, my events pop up a few seconds later which is very odd.

Other notes
    • iCloud sharing is on in both our phones under the Settings > iCloud
    • Under Settings > Mail, Contact, and Calendars we have it set to Sync - All Events, Default Calendar is "Shared"

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I solved my own problem. I discovered what I thought may have been a conflict between my GF's iPad and iPhone. She has two apple IDs - one with Hotmail and one with Gmail. Her Hotmail apple ID was on her iPad so I had her sign out of that, and sign in with her Gmail account. Then on her phone I deleted her Gmail account with the intention of reinstalling it, but I decided to just leave it uninstalled and use her iCloud account that was connected to her Gmail anyway. Once I did all that, the calendar started working and I installed the Google Inbox app for her e-mail instead of using Apple's Mail app. So we're all good! Hopefully this may help someone else out in the future if they run into the problem.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Multiple Apple IDs can be a pain. I really wish Apple would have let us combine them. I only want one.

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Well thankfully my 2010 iMac is hanging on so I cancelled the order for a newer one. Good thing too, the iMacs will hopefully be updated some time this quarter.

I was initially meh on the iWatch, but I'll keep an eye on it. Once the watch can work independently of the iPhone, I'd gladly switch over to this as I use the phone more as a commute time killer than anything else. And I'd rather not pay AT&T or another carrier for this calls and email alerts.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I can post about iPhones here, right? Because the lowercase keyboard on iOS 9 is ****ing horrible.

16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  17. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    also, just got one of the new rMBs. it's the best computer i've ever owned. i love it so much.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Weirdo.

19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    why

20. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I use a Nokia Lumia Windows Phone. My wife has an iPhone 6Plus. On the rare occasion that I need to borrow her phone for a quick message or Internet search, I have to suffer through that horrible, horrible keyboard. It is very frustrating to type with, never mind the fact that Apple apparently doesn't believe in a swipe-type feature.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I used an iPhone when I travelled, because like I care if stolen.

I'm sorry, once you go Android you can't ever go back.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    If Microsoft eventually abandons Windows Phone, I'll jump to Android.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Well the iPad Pro will be mine, mine, mine (said in Daffy Duck voice.) - glad the device is coming with productivity.

I just ditched the iPhone. Apple were great (they swapped out my broken iP6 with no problem), but the American carriers are highway robbery. So until Apple gets into the carrier end of things, flip phone and iPad Pro will be just fine.

My eyes and wallet will be a lot happier with the iPad Pro.:)

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001

Swype and many other keyboards have been available on the iPhone since iOS 8. I downloaded Swype for free and use it like .1% of the time. It's all a matter of preference and now Apple lets users choose the keyboard(s) they want.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The wife's not very tech savvy, so I guess she just never cared to add any of these convenient features to her phone.