main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think Jello's going to be converting anytime soon, and more to the point, there's little to nothing anyone in an Apple Store can say that he won't have a good response for.

I need a new laptop soon and Macs are ridiculously light. I may get a macbook just to prove I can be open-minded, but I need good reasons to.

You may want to wait until the x1300 Intel video comes along to replace what's there now. Rumor has it that new MacBooks will be along in a month or two. I think maybe the best reason I can think of is that a MacBook can give you a lot of power in a small package that you can take with you easily. Hard to beat five pounds for a laptop of its type.

is that a guess? LOL

Yes, but I'm pretty sure it would be fine :). Try asking at a place like ThinkSecret or MacRumors for certainty, though. What Mac are you currently using right now?

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, I know, don't worry. :p

I always feel like I'm witnessing something of epic, historic proportions every time I see you and Jello go back and forth at it. Like the Lincoln-Douglass debates or something....

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    A note about the adapter is that it may still not be "good enough" for most higher-end games (even at the lesser end of high, like WoW). When I heard the new Intel chip was coming out for PC months ago, I looked into it to see if it would be good enough to put into a budget hybrid work/gaming machine and the answer I'd seem from people running benchmarks (even against mid-range ATI/NVidia chips) was "probably not."

Which is sad on a couple of different levels. Though it apparently IS quite sufficient for movie playback and HD TV, just not gaming if that's your thing. So it'll probably make movie playback on a Mac even better.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think Jello's going to be converting anytime soon, and more to the point, there's little to nothing anyone in an Apple Store can say that he won't have a good response for.

Bingo. It'd be a slaughter. :p

Yeah, the primary selling point to me is the weight, though I'm genuinely curious about Leopard's new features. I prefer to hear things from "primary sources" that I know rather than salesmen or reviewers, though.

As far as gaming goes, pah. I have the top video card on the market (still) and my setup is still top of the line despite being a few months old, so I have no need for that kind of performance on my laptop. I'm after portability, anyway. My last laptop was a cutting-edge desktop replacement model, but its weight made it unwieldy. For once I want lightness and fast starts. All I'd be doing is word processing or using the interwebs, and I don't need Windows for that.

5. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I plan to have the best of both worlds. Have a PC Desktop and a Mac laptop.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    The MacBook is a great deal, honestly. Although I do not like Macs and find them to be generally overpriced, a 13" notebook that's less than 5 lbs has a Core 2 for $999 with the educational discount (used to get a free iPod Shuffle, too) is a pretty good deal. An inferior configuration of the Dell XPS M1330 costs about $1,250 with the educational discount.

For the weight, the quality, and the price, it can't be beat. However, if you want more performance and a bigger screen, I'd recommend a PC.

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Just picked up the 20" 2.4GHz iMac today with Leopard. Sweet. I'd have gotten the 24" but there's not enough space on my desk, lol.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Early Christmas! Let us all know how it goes :).

For once I want lightness and fast starts. All I'd be doing is word processing or using the interwebs, and I don't need Windows for that.

Leopard is said to have improved on the start times (though my MBP starts up in no more than about 15-20 seconds even now; I'll time it just to see), and of course you already know how light a MBP is just from holding mine at C4. A MacBook is several ounces lighter.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...now that I think of it, I could get a MacBook and install Windows on it, couldn't I?

10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    If you want to pop down another couple hundred bucks for a copy of the non-OEM non-upgrade version of XP or Vista.

11. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Already have one. Woohoo. :p

13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Well, then you're set.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I've installed Leopard, and I have to say, I'm a believer. The stacks are a cool feature, as well as the multiple desk tops. I also really like the option to view everything on my computer through coverflow. It's working out great.

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I paid $99 for my copy of XP, though of course it was OEM. It's on my MBP, and it's easy to pop into Windows if I need to.

16. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Only played with Leopard for a few hours last night, but so far it's great. And it's soooo pretty =P~

17. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    About running Windows, I've heard that Macs are prone to overheating when running Windows. XP lacking the drivers for the fans I think. Can anyone here confirm or deny this?

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I can confirm that at least my laptop runs hotter while running Windows. I've heard that there are workarounds, however. I just haven't gone out of my way to look for them.

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    I had heard that for bootcamp you need a non-OEM version, but I guess I was misinformed.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yep, it's the San Fransisco store (though it looks identical, from that view, to the Soho one in NYC, which is one I visited a lot while at school since it was 2 blocks down the road).

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So far I love Leopard. I knew I would though. I used the WWDC beta for a while. I will say that stacks were better in the WWDC version than they are now.

22. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I would like to state the Apple program Itunes is irritating to me and I have uninstalled it today. I installed it only a few days ago, yet even when I am not running it and I did the ctrl alt del to see what programs are running, are three ridiculous Apple programs, including ipodservice and applemobiledevice whatever it was called, and when I cancelled them, they turned back on moments later. Incredible!! Is this what Apple considers to be good manners? Hardly! I will never download itunes again. I will die first.

I think I posted in here before, but anyways I do like Mac computers for editing and photoshopping, and if I ever have the cash to set up my own editing system I'll be getting a mac and Final Cut for that, but otherwise I'll probably stick to PC for regular everyday use.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not certain, but it sounds like those are secondary programs to emulate features on a PC that iTunes has built-in on a Mac. In this case, autosync programs or something for iPods and iPhones.

24. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    ipodservice is required for a PC to recognize when an iPod is connected. If it is turned off, the PC will think the iPod is just a USB drive.

25. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Well after months of saving up I bought a lightly used 17" MBP with MS Office and Leopard on ebay for $2,112 from some dude in Canada. I'll probably end up putting another $600 into it upgrading the Ram to 4GB and the HD to 200 or 250 gigs and getting applecare. Hooray. Now I'm broke. So does changing the RAM/HD void any warranty? On just the part you messed with or the whole machine? How does that all work?

As for leopard, the multiple desktop feature looks great. One thing I like about windows is the ease with which I can minimize open windows by clicking the tab in the taskbar -- yeah yeah you can do the same on a mac, but still. Anyways, this multi-desktop feature of Leopard will be a great alternative. Ctrl+arrow key and I'm in a new app. or file or whatever. I won't even have to minimize/dock programs. I'll just swap between virtual desktops to get where I want.