main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Apple releases Shake

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ewingsquadron, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    What are people's take on this? How much did it cost before Apple got their hands on this? Right now, they're gonna be selling it for about $5,000.

Personally, I love Apple, and I can't wait to see what they've done with this. :D

EDIT: Couldn't do without a link! http://www.apple.com/shake/

2. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    From macrumors.com-

Shake 2.5 will be available for Mac OS X for a suggested retail price of $4,950 (US) with annual maintenance of $1,199 (US), and for Linux, IRIX and Windows for a suggested retail price of $9,900 (US) with annual maintenance of $1,485 (US). Existing Shake customers will be given the option to double the number of their existing licenses at no additional cost by migrating to Mac OS X.

Apple appears to be aggressively trying to attract new users to the Mac platform with this sort of aggressive pricing. Note that Shake cost $9,900 prior to the Apple buyout, and the $4,950 OS X pricing is a discount of the OS X version... and not a markup on the Windows/Linux versions.

3. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Apple Shake?
    I don't like the sound of that! Personally I always prefer the Banana or Chocolate Shake. [face_plain]

I'm sure it's going to rock, but at $5000 plus $1495 per annum there after it's all a bit irrelevant to me. I'll stick with After Effects for the foreseeable future unless some rich Uncle suddenly buys me a copy for Christmas or something...

I do think from reading Bastions post it is very good marketing though. How much more incentive do 'industry people' need to switch to Macs?, and while they're there, chuck in that old Avid suite and install FCP as well. I spoke to someone a few weeks ago that worked for a company that had about fifty Avid workstations, and the computers that ran the Avid set up where.......PowerPC's. It just made me chuckle that all of that kit was being run by a machine I used to own about eight years ago... :)

4. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Shake... hmm. Judging by the interface it seems like its a Discreet product, huh? I'm sure there was a PC version too as I've seen guys that used it with MAX, like in Indigen. Its not on the Discreet site though. Anyone know where it can be located?

Carl

5. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    Shake was a product of Nothing Real. Apple bought out Nothing Real earlier this year. And there is Shake for PC, see my above post.

6. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    It's good they're not discontinuing the Linux and Windows versions. Although considering how much slower the current Macs are compared to dual Athlon MP machines, and more specifically those running Linux, I can't imagine too many current users switching to slower machines just to save some money.

7. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    The date of release coincides with the release of OS 10.2 and hopefully the new PowerMacs will be released that week (all the rumours and releases point to that, here's hoping!). So it would be a pretty sweet deal to switch, unless of course they release crap PowerMacs (here's hoping not!).

8. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Dont you dare start arguements in here Avene.

9. Ulric

Ulric Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    they have indeed somewhat discontinued the windows version, only previous owners of windows licences can buy it. http://www.apple.com/shake

10. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Carl,

Bastion is correct, Nothing Real was the original creator of Shake. Discreet's equivalent product would be Combustion, which you can find on their website. I had a chance to use it once and I was very impressed, especially with the keyer and particle effects. Of course it's way out of my price range and I, like Daft, will be sticking with After Effects.

NXTB

11. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    Just stating the facts. Have a read of this article if you don't believe me. The truth is Apple machines will continue to become slower and slower if they continue with the current Motorola CPUs.

12. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    STOP THE PRESSES! Another PC user who has never used a Mac in his life claims PC's are faster!

13. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    They call it the "industry standard" because it was used on Ice Age? What else has it been used in? To the best of my knowledge, After Effects is the "real" industry standard, used in just about everything you see in a theatre these days (including Star Wars). I'll stick with AE.

14. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Shake has been used in a ton of features, including Lord of the Rings, Pearl Harbor, Babe: Pig in the City, Fight Club...

AE is used a lot, but I definitely wouldn't call it a standard -- while AE was used on Star Wars (mostly for the shots done by Rebel Mac), ILM relies more on Comp Time these days...

15. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    *begins setting up a bomb shelter for all the Mac vs PC fallout victims...*

16. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    Shake's probably about the best compositer out there from what I've heard. Have a look at the Final Fantasy DVD to see it being used. It's node based interface makes it a lot easier to work with really complex composites. After Effects' interface could never compete on that scale.

17. Ulric

Ulric Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    Shake ends up being used in just about every other film - because it excels at dealing large images and scripting at the command line. However while it was probably used on Final Fantasy, the compositor you see on-screen on the DVD is Avid Media Illusion. There are many similar-looking high-end compositors out there.

18. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Heh Shake is nice but I personaly wasnt astounded with it when I first saw it at NAB2002. But who knows they wouldnt let me play with it and try to crash their system =P Another great compositing/image manipulation software package is the 5D one. They do some friggin amazing stuff. I sat at NAB and watched their 2 hour demo completley flaberghasted by the things they could do in a couple clicks, much less the stuff they could do if they knew what they were doing!

19. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    Oh, so that's Avid? Digital Fusion is another great program that uses nodes.

20. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    "STOP THE PRESSES! Another PC user who has never used a Mac in his life claims PC's are faster!"

**YAWN**

Man, give it up...you are SO hypersensitive about what other people say about Macs....people DO have opinions...let it go.

21. BluEScrEEnJedi

BluEScrEEnJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.