main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Appreciating that Star Wars abundantly LIVES ON!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Unkar's Muffins, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I hope mods will not look at this as a "gusher" thread, it is not my intent. But let me make the following case...

Whether you are a lover or hater of TFA, there is one thing that should be much appreciated: The fact that Star Wars is alive and well.

George Lucas made what must have been a very hard decision to make. He likened it to divorce. He also appeared to still have some animosity about Disney's ownership a few years after the deal was done. The decision was to let Star Wars LIVE ON in someone else's capable hands. The choices for that handoff must have been extremely few, as Star Wars is a family friendly series, but of the highest caliber in special effects and well known actors. The ONLY way for Star Wars to have a future was to give it to an organization like Disney. Lucas made it clear that overall fan reaction to the prequels, as well as the time investment in another trilogy just took any further movies off the table for him.

So, because Lucas made the hard decision, swallowed his pride, and let someone else take over, he essentially gave Star Wars a new lease on life. Even if TFA wasn't your favorite, you cannot deny the huge success the movie has been, and the fact that most fans liked it. Not only that, but there is a whole slew of new movies from here on out, each with different directors. If Lucas had not sold it, we would not have any new movies, and who would have been CAPABLE to take over the franchise once he passed on, without a huge fight that would drag on for 10 or 20 years?

I appreciate very much the fact that Lucas was willing to see the light and let Star Wars go before he got too old. Not because I thought the prequels were bad (I loved them), but because, like a good father, you have to eventually let your kid go out into the world and grow even more on their own. Lucas gave Star Wars the best possible start...I don't think anyone wants to mess it up. The future of the Galaxy Far, Far Away is very bight, and I sooo appreciate that we have new movies that most fans are excited to talk about and look forward to again. Thank you, GEORGE!

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Star Wars was still alive before Lucas sold it, in the form of the Clone Wars.

3. Mootsy

Mootsy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2016
    That's a bit different to actual films though..

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Among the "new" (none-OT) movies, too bad Episodes 1 and 2 were duds, with 3 being a merely okay one, but what really rejuvenated the franchise was definitely TFA... We have to have George for initiating that painful separation and giving new life to the franchise, for sure!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

5. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    No. Not a bit different. TCW was hugely different. The movie box office was not even a patch on a gnat's *** compared to the saga films. TFA made more in its first opening hours than TCW's did in its entire world wide box office take for its entire run. The actual TV series was like continuously getting served after dinner mints without getting any main meal.

Paraphrasing Count_DoodooKuku now it lives again because George made the conscious decision to let it live again by selling Lucasfilm, since he had no interest in doing more main courses.

6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Hmm...Quite interesting to think about.

The PT revived the fandom, it started to slow down but nothing even close to before it and now TFA has enhanced it greatly.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Note: The topic is fine, but everyone please keep the "PT vs. OT vs. ST (in any combination) debates are not allowed" rule in mind.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    um not really. i dont call a dying eu, and a decent tv show living,

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I can understand why he sold it to Disney as they're not like other studios , but what I wonder is - why didn't they want him involved ?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think it's because many of recent his ideas and the execution of them were... controversial, to say the least. There's also the very simple matter that it's really hard to do your own thing with the series with the creator looking over your shoulder going, "Well, see, if it were up to me..." Which is completely understandable on Lucas' part; it's really hard not to have an opinion on your baby. But I think both he and the people working on the current films realized that you had to cut the umbilical cord sooner rather than later.

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Wasn't Lucas planning to do the ST himself before selling to Disney?

Either way, while I love TFA and am super stoked about this trilogy, I absolutely am not ecstatic about this new era of Star Wars: To Infinity and Beyond. I appreciated that, with George, Star Wars feature films were rare cultural milestones. I will miss SW having that specialness, regardless of the overall reception of any particular episode.

Darth PJ likes this.
  12. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Nope the only positive it has done is make me appreciate the PT even more.

astronaut23 likes this.
  13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    my understanding was that Lucas was done with films. im glad he did not ruin TFA

14. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Lucas planned to do Ep VII before selling, so as to increase the buyout price and make LFL more attractive. Disney's quick interest convinced him to change plans.

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    huh. there was no news on that at all.

16. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Clone Wars was nowhere near the cultural phenom that the movies were. Evenyone knows the movies. CW, not so much. (I like CW, though, so don't get me wrong).

So basically, my point is, that if Lucas hadn't have sold it, Star Wars would pretty much die off slowly, and we might all still be here 20 years from now talking about how great the old movies were.

17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah. i agree. i mean i thought star wars was dying, and it is now revitalized to a degree never seen before. fun time.

18. Darth Calvin

Darth Calvin Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 9, 2015
    Absolutely. Thank you to George, Kathleen, Iger, JJ, and everyone else involved. I had thought Star Wars was over and done with, so this new trilogy is quite the unexpected gift. The spin-offs are an added bonus. We'll form our own opinions as to whether they are good as each comes out, but the fact that there will even be films about which to form an opinion at all is sweet.
    This ball is just getting rolling, and it's off to a heck of a start. Many older fans (like myself) are having their enthusiasm refired, and a new generation is falling in love with the GFFA. How the cornucopia of SW films over the next few years will play out will be interesting to see. And see it we will.
    And some will read the books, too.
    This is where the fun begins

In 20 years we will still be talking about how great the OT was/is. That won't change. But we might have some newer favorites to throw in the mix as well.

19. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Thanks to TFA, interest in Star Wars amongst today's new fans has never been greater... And even in Malaysia, where we are more known as Marvel or DC enthusiasts (BvS didn't do too well here, by the way), the Legoland in Johor Bahru has been chosen to be the home of the world's biggest Lego Millennium Falcon, in conjunction with Star Wars Day on May 4 - with loads of activities being planned for the big occasion too!

All this would not have been possible had George continued to hold on to his baby and make failures like The Clone Wars as well as Episodes 1 & 2 lookalikes... Resulting in a natural death for the whole franchise, instead of rejuvenation!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

20. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005

The TFA makes me appreciated all 6 Saga films all the more. .

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  21. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    True dat. My kids grew up with only getting to see the first 6 on DVD, none of the hoopla and marketing and cultural phenomenon that the TFA brought on. Because of TFA (and a bit of Clone Wars and Rebels), my kids totally got into Star Wars and want to talk about it all the time, even dressing up, and plans for conventions, etc. Say what you will, but Star Wars has truly been resurrected by TFA in a way that Clone Wars and Rebels could never acheive by themselves. Sure, it's mostly because of Disney, Abrams, etc tooting their horns and everyone wanting to be excited about Star Wars...but so what? It's fun. It's inspiring.

Millennium Falcon 888 likes this.
  22. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    I think you will come to appreciate TFA more after the next movies come out. I see a lot of setup in this movie, but not a lot of payoff just yet.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. GG.exe

GG.exe Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2015
    I don't like TFA so much after watching it a couple more times on DVD.

Specifically....TFA was very good up until they walked into Maz Canata's castle. The immediate second they walked in, all the way till the end of the movie, TFA was lackluster. But everything before then was great scenes, plot, pacing, etc.

Aside from that, really loved Daisy Ridley's acting ability thruout the film regardless.

24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    can't wholeheartedly agree with you, however your right in that the film's third act is lackluster, barring Rey

GG.exe likes this.
  25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The Star Wars franchise was alive, well, and beloved before there was a single prequel film, a single EU novel, or any of the more recent cartoons.

That's the magic of the original trilogy; it never needed follow ups to maintain it's allure and cultural impact. I mean people were in a frenzy over just the re-release of the films in the late 90s.

GG.exe likes this.