main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Apprentices' Round Robin

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi_Alman, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I haven't been on the boards in quite some time, and it's been even longer since I've written anything. But I want to get back into it.

My current idea is to start a round robin called Apprentices. The basic idea is that there are other apprentices at the Jedi Academy during the YJK/JJK, but we never hear about them. This story would tell about them.

If anyone would be interested in working on it with me, please let me know.

2. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    Are original characters acceptible? I'm not too up on those books to do a canon one.

3. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    I think that's what the whole idea of the story is. :p

I've never done a round-robin before, but I'd be interested in this.. I remember I was going to run an RP set at the same time, a loooong time ago... heh. Didn't in the end. pfft.
    But yes, I would take part in this.
    Details?

4. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    It sounds interesting although I wouldn't be able to join for another month (too busy right now).

5. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm interested! I was just wondering what might have happened to the Shadow Academy students after they were defeated by Luke's students. I know some went to live on Yavin 4, yet they're never mentioned. It'd be cool to explore that if you think it would work into your plot. Also, I've been looking for an excuse to write some OCs. :)

Are you thinking of interweaving all the character's stories together, or having a few individual story lines?

6. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    I think that the whole idea of a RR is that you don't know exactly what the story is going to be. I think that is the fun of it.

I think that one of the reasons the JA series and YJK/JJK series are written like they are is just for things like this. Look at I, Jedi. My idea would be a little like that book. Another good example would be Ender's Shadow compared to Ender's Game.

I like the idea of the Shadow Academy students though. OCs are a must. I think that Luke Skywalker would have to be involved, but other than him, I don't think that we would need any canon character involvment if we don't want it.

This thread is here to start tossing around ideas before the actual writing starts. If anyone has anything in particular they'd like to include, speak up here.

7. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    Should we start posting some bios for potential characters?

8. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm currently working out some plot ideas in my mind. Soon as I have something that I think to be good, I'll put it down here.

What I'm thinking, though, is that each person that wants in on the RR here just makes a character, then we just start writing. That's usually what I do with my writings anyway. I don't always know the plot until I start writing. Perhaps that would work here.

If you already have a character you'd like to use LW, go right ahead. I'll probly follow up on it sometime tomorrow or maybe even later tonight.

9. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I'm interested Alman. I would suggest waiting until you have all the interested authors accounted for and then assign spots so we don't wreck continuity and so forth (unlike Del Rey :p ). I mean our coninuity. ;)

10. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    sounds like fun. I've never done an RR on these boards before, but it sounds like fun.

Would you want to involve Tionne? She was quite involved as I recall with training the students. I think she'd be rather fun to play.

When would we be starting? at the beginning of the YJK storyline?

11. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Before, at the same time as, or after YJK...or all three with different characters. It depends on the characters we all come up with.

I think that the story would go much like I, Jedi. It starts out just introducing the characters and showing thme in their training. From there the plot is introduced and we let it fly.

Perhaps we should just all work on developing a single character and having he/she meet the other players as we develop them.

12. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    I do have one character that I would like to include in this, but she would have to come into play much later on in the story. The character Rone Maida from my full fanfic.

What I think we need to start with, though, is a student around the same age as the Solo twins that has been there about the same amount of time. The others could be current students or ones that come to the Academy later.

So, the first thing we need is a name and backstory for this primary character. Suggestions?

13. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    Are we each going write about our own characters, or should each author write about the whole assemble? Basically, if someone creates a OC, are they going to become the principle writer of the character?

14. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Basically the idea would be just to add to what the last person wrote. If that person has created a character, that character is free to use. If you want to create an OC, then do so. I think that we need a core storyline to follow, but the sub-plots and whatnot should be up to the discresion of each individual author.

15. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Apr 11, 2004
    Stupid question to ask, but would we have a pecking order for who adds to things when? The round robins I've been in before have been small affairs of just two, maybe three people tops.

16. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    First step, I think, would be to get a list of the authors who want to work on this. Then we decide on the rough story. Then someone who wants first post claims it. After that...we could either have an order of writers (I don't think that's the best idea)...or just have it up for grabs. After reading a post, tell the others if you want the next post or not. Perhaps you have a good idea to add on with. We'll have the story thread and the planning thread here, you could post up a claim at either place. Then the others will know to wait until your post before they begin work on one of their own.

This system would be much more dynamic and fun. Perhaps, if both people wanted to claim the next post, they could fuse their ideas into one, super idea and take over the wor...nevermind. It's late, sorry.

Anyway, that's how I believe it should be done. Claim the next post if you want it.

17. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks for the PM, JA, but I'm going to have to resist the temptation to join. I've got too many other stories to keep writing at present, and too many DRL things going on. I'd end up letting the side down. But thanks again for thinking of me. :)

I would be interested in reading your the stories though - so please PM me when people post. :)

BTW - we started an A/T scrapbook at the start of the year. Would you like to add some pieces to that? I'll up it so it's on page 1 here. That's another thing I have to work on, too. Gah! ;) Whyis there only 24 hours in a day.

18. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    hm... I actually might not be able to join in until the end of June, now I think about it.. but I'd still like to.

I need to try and think of an OC, huh...

19. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Ok, so the list of interested authors is:

Myself
    Lonewolf89
    Moff_D
    Vampi_Digitalwytch
    djcati
    PadawanRoo

Sounds like a good starting group. So, now that we have the original writing list, we should start working on a core storyline.

We already know roughly what the characters will be like (young Jedi at the Academy), and the time period the story will take place in (YJK era). It's been suggested that we include the Shadow Academy students as well. So, we start by describing some of their training, but we need a plot.

Suggestions?

20. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    If you're still looking for authors, I'm willing to join on in. ALwyas been a fan of the YJK era.

:Targeter:

21. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Friendly faces are always welcome, Targeter. :) <-- see, it's a friendly face!

So that's one more for our author list.

To plan the storyline, one important question must be answered: should it be AU or canon? If it's canon, the story cannot be too extreme, otherwise it would already have a place in the books. If it's AU, we can do whatever we dang well please :p

I suppose that we could do a canon story with a plot on par with the real YJK books, but, to me, AU just sounds like a lot more fun.

22. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Apr 11, 2004
    Either works for me, but there's more chance for character development with AU in my opinion.

23. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out of the RR, folks. I learned this weekend that a lot of my friends and family are going to be coming in from out of town over the next month, so with that, and judging for the Fan Fic Challenges this summer, I don't think I'll have the time to write anything now. I hope you're able to get things up and running, though. And I'll definitely be reading once the fic?s posted! Good luck! :)

24. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    I think if we keep it canon, there's still plenty we can do... so long as we don't involve the main characters too much.
    I mean, for that whole two years that YJK is set during, the YJK book series is all we have about the SW galaxy, right? So as long as the storyline doesn't actively contradict that, e.g., having the chars from this story thwart the Diversity Alliance, etc, then anything should be OK...

That is... it wouldn't actively be canon, but wouldn't contradict anything so much to make it AU...

Well I know what I mean, anyway.

25. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    How about loosely canon? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.