main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Approaches To Episodes VII-IX

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ulkesh2, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Don't get your hopes up, but recent whispers hint at possibilities...

Reports from SW summit are that another animated project and a 'live action' project may come to be.

My guess is that the animated project might be a feature length post-NJO movie. In other words Lucas might allow other talents to develop an animated Episode VII. The animated film may be released in theaters or on television.

If you the reader of this post were hired to develop animated features for Episodes VII-IX what kind of stories would you tell? As hired talent you must be aware of the parameters established by the Expanded Universe. Only Lucas himself can ignore continuity. You must not. Let the fun begin...

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I hope not. If they're going to make new movies, do the Thrawn Trilogy.

3. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Sorry the Thrawn trilogy's events are now the subject of Ben Skywalker's history studies. This post seeks thought on storyline arcs and character development in a post-NJO galaxy. Start with Episode VII and end with Episode IX.

4. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I doubt it will be anthing post-NJO for the reason that the majority of fans have yet to even bother with the novels. Why create something as a post-NJO either animation or live action wise.

What I think would be a good possiblity would be something post-ROTJ or something between Ep3 and Ep4(A New Hope). I hope its something post-ROTJ showing us how Lucas wanted the OT cast to end. Now that would be very interesting. Since it is live action, and if it didn't agree with the EU it would just overwrite somethings since the movies and I'm guess animation now(with the Clone Wars micro-series) are ranked higher then the novels and comics.

Thought I wouldn't mind something set in the NJO time-frame. It would basicly overwrite the NJO if things were different, most likly keeping all that the OT crew and allies work so hard for intact instead of being destoryed as it was in the NJO.

5. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Please keep in mind the situation I set up for the reader. You the reader are to pretend you're hired talent. You must be aware of both Lucasfilm and expanded universe parameters. This is not a post for your opinion of the expanded universe. Your job is to relay to other readers what you would do for a trilogy of animated films. This trilogy of stories would evolve into Episodes VII-IX.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Well, seeing as that I'd do the Thrawn Trilogy, I'd lay out some of the stories in the NR Era

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    It would ruin the thrawn trilogy to try to convert it to short series or movie. You could never have the exact conversations or descriptions that exist in the book. It would be better to go with an original story started from scratch, much like how they are doing the clone wars mini-series.

As for post NJO era story, Troy Denning is coming out with a trilogy. However it will still be in the NJO era.

8. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Sorry again the Thrawn trilogy is established and is now a few paragraphs in a GFFA history holo-lesson. You are not allowed to do any revisioning of prior licensed Lucasfilm materials. You must focus on outlining a trilogy of stories that take place post-NJO. The object here is to role-play as a hired writer.

9. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Try to think about fresh material that follows the basic SW themes and patterns.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "The object here is to role-play as a hired writer."

You know you have a few problems with a thread like this and making comments like that.

1. The Mods could think that this would be better off in Games Roleplaying forums (you are asking us to roleplay.)

2. The Mods could think that this would be better off in EU community forum (It is asking for more of a community participation in a kind of game).

3. The Mods could think that this would be better off in Amphitheatre forum (Its not literature related, but more movie, and tv related).

4. The Mods could think that this would be better off in Fanfic forum (you are asking us to come up with story ideas).

Who knows I might be overlooking a few more forums that the mods would direct this kind of thread to...

11. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Yeah I was not real sure where to place this post. So I turned off my targeting computer and trusted my feelings. Guess what? That Force business just does not work.

12. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    Herewith my ideas.

Episode VII: [i]First Blood[/i]

Padawan Ben Skywalker is under the tutelage of Master Lowbacca. The Council sends the two to investigate the loss of contact with Adumar. While on their way there, they're pulled out of hyperspace at Ord Mantell, and captured by the invaders, a saurian species called the Davions. (This is the first conflict on any scale in recent history that any Jedi have been involved in other than diplomatically.)

The two manage to break out of their cells aboard the lead cruiser, and sabotage it. They make it to the docking bay, but Lowbacca is mortally wounded. Ben pilots their ship out of there, and into hyperspace, wherein Lowie dies. They land on Kashyyk, and have a funeral; then Admiral Waroo shows Ben Chewie's memorial, whereupon Ben pulls the saber out.

Episode VIII: [i]Second Chances[/i]

Waroo leads a fleet meant to push back the Davions. Jedi fight in a massive ground battle on Ord Mantell. They barely escape with half their skins intact. :)

Episode IX: [i]Last Stand[/i]

The Battle of Coruscant. Both sides hold their own; stalemate. Ben offers the Davion leader a duel, for the fate of the planet. Ben whips Davion behind, defeating not only the leader, but the other leaders who'd spearheaded the invasion. (Said duel was in their throne room-ish place.) Leaderless, lost, the Davions are forced back, unable to focus long enough to defend their holdings.
    [hr]
    Certainly, the second two parts could stand to be fleshed out some more. But this was all on a moment's notice, so quiet, you. ;)

[i](edited to fix markup)[/i]
    [i](edited to fix spelling error)[/i]

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There is never going to be a "sequel" trilogy.

14. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Ok now we're getting somewhere. Please everybody more speculation. Don't worry I'll make some contributions soon.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, beware that if the mods get a chance to read this thread, you might have it closed because of the several off-topic elements you injected into it (games, roleplaying, community, and fanfic, etc)... However it may last a while longer...

16. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Well something is brewing. Something beyond Episode III. I tend to agree that Episodes VII-IX are a long shot, but stranger things do occur. The animated Clone War may very well be a testbed for a project with more ambition. Time and leaks will tell.

17. LuBusVassal

LuBusVassal Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Well, I think the Thrawn Trilogy would be the best for new movies, but some animated features set after the NJO would work well I think.

18. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    If anything, if I was given a chance to do something, I'd have it as a flashback with the OT character thinking back on their past adventures while laying to rest on of the them. Either Luke, Leia, Lando, Han, Chewie, or Wedge. During this time I'd keep the TTT and JAT pretty much the same but move through them in the first two movies. Then end the 3rd movie with the Hand of Thrawn movie and Union. Thing is that each movie would be from the PoV of one or two of the characters, each of the them being the narator. Then lastly completely writeout the NJO series of events ever taking place. After having the HoT movie events jump ahead 20 years show how much the galaxy has grown, how certain enemies have become friends, how others have become enemies, how the Jedi were mistrusted(dealing with Kyp and crew doing their own thing) and how Luke and Ben reformed the Jedi order. You'll see Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin both out in the galaxy with their padawans. Kyp out settling disagreements. Tonnie, Luke, Corran, etc training students at the academy.

Then before fading to black, many years later pan to the top of the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4 with Ben Skywalker(age 50 or so) looking out into the sunset with his first born(a girl in front of him, he's taller). To the left of him is the force version of Luke Skywalker with his hand on Ben's shoulder and Anakin Skywalker on the right with his hand on the other shoulder with Obi-wan, Qui-gon, and Yoda all behind them looking into the sunset with them.

I can't not honestly let the NJO events take place. I'm sorry I just can't, not after so much desruction that took place. I know my ending sounds a little sappy but I like it. A nice overview of events after RoTJ, we get to see the other characters grow, new ones introduced and it brings a sense of closure.

19. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    It would be neat if they did Episodes VII-IX as a trilogy of CG-computer animated films and would of course focus on the adventures of Ben Skywalker flying "a starship of strange design" perhaps having adventures in the Unknown Regions and destroying the threats there and allowing the Galactic Alliance to colonize the UR. And perhaps it would end with an Outbound Flight Project II with Ben leading the expedition to other gaalxies to find other force sensetive species. That's my idea of what the sequels should be about. And of course I would want Luke to appear as an Obi-Wan type Jedi Master at the age of 65. And I would like Mara and of course the aging Han and Leia and the droids.

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Sorry again the Thrawn trilogy is established and is now a few paragraphs in a GFFA history holo-lesson. You are not allowed to do any revisioning of prior licensed Lucasfilm materials. You must focus on outlining a trilogy of stories that take place post-NJO. The object here is to role-play as a hired writer.
    Didn't understand before... but now I get it.

No project... I'll just leave it.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Since it is live action, and if it didn't agree with the EU it would just overwrite somethings since the movies and I'm guess animation now(with the Clone Wars micro-series) are ranked higher then the novels and comics.<<

Incorrect- a live action show would still be EU, and the Clone Wars cartoon is NOT ranked higher than the novels and comics- they are equal, as it is part of the Clone Wars project, which is headed by Lucasbooks.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The only difference is that if there was a contradiction between a live-action or cartoon source, and a written EU source, and Lucas had a part in creating that contradiction due to plans he had created, it is more likely to become refrenced in a movie, than the material it was contradicting.

23. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    I stand corrected on the Clone Wars cartoon since Lucas wasn't involved in the storylines "but" if Lucas is the one that actually writes a live action show, or even a animation(story wise and even directs or produces) then it would be ranked up there with the movies. So it would be free to overwrite things if it pleased. Especially if it was post-ROTJ.

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "since Lucas wasn't involved in the storylines"

Actually Lucas was involved with the new cartoon series, we don't know how much however, or how much may or may not bleed into episode 3...

Only a few things Tartarvksy(sp?) said he discussed with Lucas, have been mentioned, such as the fact that Lucas told him that the CIS, had to have Geonosian fighters as their fighter force...

It's also possible that it was Lucas that told them to throw in the IG droids that will show up later... The fact that IG droids exist at this time is something listed under IG-88 movie facts(rather than the main EU facts) at starwars.com as well.

25. the-dork-knight

the-dork-knight Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2003
    Is it just me, or are some of the decisions Lucas makes regarding what can or can't be in the EU seem kind of random? Anakin must die, not Jacen, only use Geonosian fighters, etc.?

Personal opinion, of course. Just strikes me as odd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.