main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

April 2015 Meeting

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by thejackal327, Apr 15, 2015.

1. thejackal327

thejackal327 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2013
    I know everyone is in full blown Celebration mode, but I wanted to make sure I get the April meeting on the books. According to my notes, we'll be back at Village Inn on April 25th at 2:00.

2. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I probably won't be there. The big bead show is the same weekend.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk

3. AuttyBot

AuttyBot RMFF Secretarian star 1

Jul 21, 2014
    I am pretty sure I can make it.

4. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Not sure where else to put this, but there were some serious issues with SF. I was not there, but heard and read boatloads, including the new $100 charge for a fan table (included two passes, which as we know does nothing to staff a table). The SFians group on FB is the place to look (but spell it out); several different very long comment threads.

5. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Can we have the meeting someplace North instead? Rock Bottom at Westminster Promenade, perhaps?
    Us Northerners would appreciate it.

AuttyBot likes this.
  6. thejackal327

Dec 19, 2013
    I'll give RB a call tomorrow, if you don't think that's too late of notice for folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    The May 16th meeting is scheduled to be at Rock Bottom.

8. thejackal327

Dec 19, 2013
    Excellent. I like that much better than changing things at the last minute!

QueenHighMistress likes this.
  9. Katsu_MaRoy

Katsu_MaRoy Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2006
    I'll be out of town on business. Sorry folks. One of these days! Perhaps after Dungeons and Drafts opens up in FoCo, we can have a meeting up here. It will have food, and they are striving to be family friendly...and GEEK BAR! Perhaps July?

ladyblues and thejackal327 like this.
  10. FireParamedic

FireParamedic Jedi Padawan

Aug 13, 2011
    I'm on a panel at the Niwot Tolkien convention, so I'll be missing this one too, unfortunately.

Katsu_MaRoy likes this.
  11. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    I shall continue to look forward to getting my book, then.

12. Katsu_MaRoy

Katsu_MaRoy Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2006
    DAMN IT. I'm sorry Q. I will bring it to MTF next Sunday.

13. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    No worries. :p

14. ladyblues

ladyblues Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013
    I wasn't sure where else to post this. Can someone provide a link to where we submit "what does Fan Force mean to you?" Did I get that right that there's a thread or poll somewhere on the greater Fan Force forums? I have looked around and have not been able to find it. Sorry about being forum use-deficient.

15. AuttyBot

AuttyBot RMFF Secretarian star 1

Jul 21, 2014
    DieWompRatDie likes this.
  16. thejackal327

Dec 19, 2013
    RMFF April Meeting​
    4/25/2015 3:15 PM​
    Village Inn​
    ROLL CALL & RAFFLE
    15 members in attendance: Nerfherders, tia_Amidala, Geekchic15, QueenHighMistress, AuttyBot, JediPicard, JediJonas, KurtWeinreich, pagil m’gar, DieWompRatDie, ladyblues, thebreadnappa, he-guy, theJackal327, FanForced
    Topic: What is the coolest thing in your fandom (Star Wars or other event) that you have seen in the past month?

OLD BUSINESS
    -March meeting: minutes from the March meeting are available on the boards
    -Starfest: @KurtWeinreich provided a report of his experience with running the 501st booth at Starfest 2015. With the event coinciding with Celebration VII, a Star Wars presence was appreciated. Kurt reported on the heightened security at the hotel and the challenges/opportunities of working with Denver Police, the hotel, and the event administrators. An additional challenge that Kurt encountered was that he contacted RMFF to request a banner and/or other materials, but these were not provided. Confusion about working together with the different fan groups can result in missed opportunities for RMFF. Next year’s Starfest will be held at the DIA Marriott. Kurt will be working the Rocky Mountain Con in September, and would like to make sure RMFF is represented.
    -Celebration Anaheim: Several members provided reports on their experiences at Celebration VII. Highlights (among many others) included BB8, and the access to Episode VII costumes. Attendees did not feel that the event staff were as organized as in years past, but overall everyone had a great experience. Celebration VIII will be in London July 15-17, 2016.

NEW BUSINESS
    -RMFF banner for Kurt: Discussion was held whether we should print a dedicated banner for Kurt to keep in his possession. thejackal327 will start a discussion on the boards to conduct a materials audit. We will try to determine who has what and then decide whether another banner is needed.
    -May the Fourth (Sunday, May 3rd): the Google doc has been posted to the boards. Some of the details on the WOTR site is confusion and out of date. The event is from 9-3. There are 2 hour sign up shifts. 2 hours of volunteering gets you free admission, 4 hours gets you lunch.
    -Denver Comic Con (Saturday May 23rd-Monday May 25th): a google doc will be posted soon for volunteer opportunities. Candy donations are needed. RMFF will have a 10x20 booth and will be hosting a laser etching station. Other booth items will include the Death Star prize wheel, flyers, and the Make a Wish auction. ladyblues may set up a Facebook page for the Make a Wish auction. A changing area will be provided for the costumers. This will provide a nice space for banners and signs. Volunteers will need to sign up for a 4 hour commitment for the 3-day badge. These shifts do not include set up and tear down. Discussion was held regarding whether or not we will need to have additional power dropped for the laser etcher, of if this has already been provided. @pagil m’gar also put in a plug for folks to come to his comics panel.

STAR WARS NEWS
    -Jedi marriage: a young fan asked if Jedi can get married. The response he received was well-worded, but non-committal. You can be married and still have the heart of a Jedi.
    -Marvel Comics: a Lando arc will follow the Leia arc. Obi-Wan will have his own arc in the main Star Wars comic. New comics will be published in September to arch between Episodes VI and VII.

Open Discussion:
    -Topic – Star Wars Episode VII: members are excited about the new materials released in the trailer. The trailer and the panels at Celebration VII have members feeling much better about how these new movies will be treated. The eBook version of Episode VII will be available on the movie release date. The book will be released in January.
    -Topic- Star Wars Anthologies: Star Wars Anthologies: Rogue One comes out next year. The movie will cover the plans to steal the Death Star Plans.

WEBSITE NEWS
    No report

PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE
    An audit will be conducted to determine who has what materials and where

GAMING NEWS
    Battlefront!

TREASURER’S REPORT
    No report

COLLECTING NEWS

OPEN DISCUSSION
    501st will be holding a meet & greet on May 10th at Highlands Ranch. If enough people are interested, we will do another t-shirt run. Post to the thread if you would like a shirt, minimum 30 to order another run. Per DieWompRatDie, Mark Hamill loved his shirt.

GROUP PHOTO:
    https://www.facebook.com/RockyMount...42438998984/10152918619553985/?type=1&theater

DieWompRatDie and nnaydolem like this.
  17. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Our booth size is NOT 10X20 booth, we will have 2 tables. The laser etching is Jim Shima's personal equipment and has trained guests that know how to use the equipment and we should just stay away from it.

18. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Publications Committee is not handling the audit. We will be making flyers for the MAW auction.

19. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

At the meeting we were told that he'd be in the RMFF space and would necessitate power, which we were uncertain if that cost would have to come out of the RMFF treasury funds. Can y'all provide some clarification on that?

20. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Jim is getting his own dedicated drop for electricity for the laser etch machine. His machine is not part of the RMFF and he does not require members to help with it since he has a staff to man it. All group leaders should have been notified of all info including links to the google docs for shift signups and where to pay (the discounted exhibitor passes are $50 this year and you must sign up for two 2-hour shifts), and map of the area. This should have been posted and emailed to all members yesterday and today. Group leaders have been very busy coordinating via facebook to bring the best experience we can. Your leaders are on the ball (BB8 ball?), so to speak.

On that note, I need to ask a favor. Because of limited space for the many droids coming I'm going to try to put at least one droid per group area. Will you please provide some space at your area for one droid, please? Thank you for your cooperation.

21. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    If you'd check the DCC thread, you'd see the signup a are ready to go, and we don't need that info in this thread.

However, we don't even know for sure what space we are getting to use, as we are already sharing it. Jim's laser machine, according to our group leader, will be in the RMFF area (and Jim is a member of the RMFF), and Kim already clarified that we aren't staffing that machine. So our space is already cut. That's something the group leaders should talk about, if they're so on the ball, and it should at the very least go in the DCC thread. We can't make that decision here.

22. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I would have to say someone miss read or heard this info, we are not sharing, well technically we are all sharing one big @$$ space, but we didn't have to limit our space to accommodate anyone else.
    Jim is a RMFF member, but that's as far as that goes. No clue where all this other info came from, he-guy maybe you could re-read what was said so it's a little clearer? and then relay it to us, so we can stop being snapping turtles? I wasn't in on the messages but DH swears this was never discussed in any form.
    Jim is paying for his line drop and no body is to touch that one, there will be 3 others to use between the groups (and they are not cheap, something like $130 per) that the ticket money is going to take care of and we won't overload anything.
    TO REPEAT: NOBODY IS TO TOUCH JIM SHIMA'S POWER DROP HE IS PAYING FOR IT OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET, last year power was knocked out a few times for whatever reason and that is not good for lasers.

Posting map in DCC thread so everyone can see we are not sharing.

nnaydolem and QueenHighMistress like this.