main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL April 4th Shuttle Launch

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Thumper09, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Sorry, Buzz, I just thought posting it in a new thread would attract those interested (rather than my insanely-boringly(is that a word?)-titled "Well?" thread.

Like Buzz mentioned here there is a shuttle launch currently scheduled for Thursday, April 4 in the afternnon

-Katie
    Thumper

2. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Costumeless Fan asks to join the fray.
    I've got no costume and I've yet to make it to a meeting, but this one times pretty well with work (I think) and it includes a launch (one of my favorite things).

3. LordGoldenArrow

LordGoldenArrow Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    You know I'll definitly be there! :)

Farmboy

4. Rogue428

Rogue428 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 9, 2001
    My costume will probably not be ready..however since I live like 10 minutes from KSC...I can't see how I can not be there....(unless I get a new job soon)...

Also...if anyone wants to know anything technical about the shuttle....

Well....I used to be in the launch biz...that's what I used to do back when I used to be somebody...so any questions...fire away...

5. Delaya

Delaya Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2001
    I will do my best to be there!!

6. Rogue428

Rogue428 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 9, 2001
    I won't be able to make it. My sister is getting married that weekend so I have to drive out there.

also keep in mind that the whole base is still at Threatcon Bravo and that they won't take kindly to blasters etc... being brought in.

7. Sandy

Sandy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2002
    I'm about 50/50 on whether I'll be able to make this one. I will either be in D.C. on official business, watching the launch from my house with my wife, or with you guys. If I don't make it, I certainly won't come up with some lame excuse like a sibling getting married! After all, you get married lots of times but should only see the shuttle launch once.... wait, that's backwards... :)

He does make a damn good point about armor and blasters too close to the launch. I'm not sure where the viewing spot is but they really do take this very, very seriously.

Sandy

8. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    The viewing spot I'm thinking of is in Titusville, so it's all the way across the river from the Center, six miles at the very minimum. I'll check with the local police to see what their policy would be for this since it is a public spot.

-Katie
    Thumper

9. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Can I/we join you Katie?

10. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    NO!!!
    Heh heh, just kidding. Whoever wants to come is welcome.

So, are there going to be enough costumed people to try to do the photo thing? Otherwise it might just be easier to meet in "normal clothes" at the viewing site (I can post directions, etc.).

-Katie
    Thumper

11. Lord_Gita

Oct 5, 2000
    I could bring my TK gear and Stef can bring her Jedi, but I would need a place to change relatively quickly since it's hot as hell. :)

12. SeaTrooper

SeaTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2001
    Bad news Katie... I lost your number and I can't make it down ther. Work has me tied up.
    Buzz

13. Sandy

Jan 16, 2002
    I'll probably be there, downing lots of coffee and selling some from my thermos for $25.75 a cup.

Sandy

14. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    I'll probably be there, downing lots of coffee and selling some from my thermos for $25.75 a cup.

Still a better bargin than most of the theme parks.

15. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Okay, latest scoop...

Check the KSC home page this Wednesday afternoon/evening: they are supposed to release the official launch time for Thursday then.

If you're interested in coming out here to Titusville to see it, I suggest coming to Space View Park, and then I'd suggest we meet no later than 30 minutes before launch time. The best place to meet here is probably under the Gemini monument: it looks like a big Roman numeral II, and it's a little less crowded over there than by the Mercury memorial, though we can always go over there and be by the loudspeakers after meeting up.

It's relatively undecided yet as to whether anyone will be there in costume (Darryl, I have an e-mail heading your way later tonight), so if you don't see a bright orange Rebel pilot there and you don't know any of us, look for the girl with the X-wing hat.

Some of this may change depending on any feedback I get between now and Wednesday night (such as meeting time). E-mail me at kzajdel@fit.edu if you have any questions. I'll be checking that e-mail until about two hours before launch that day.

And for parking: don't let anyone sucker you into paying for parking somewhere. Space View Park is on Indian River Drive, right between US 1 and the Indian River at Hwy. 406 (Garden Street). If you go south on Indian River Drive a bit, south of the park (also called Veteran's Memorial Park), there's a place called Titusville Commons parking or something like that. Anyway, it's free city parking and it's usually fairly empty. And it's a very short walk from there to the park.

You're sick to death of reading this by now, I can tell. Sorry for not having anything more concrete, but until that launch time is released there's not much I can do.

Any questions/complaints/comments/concerns/apple pies/self-adhesive stamps, send them my way.

-Katie
    Thumper
    the one who can type so much and yet say absolutely nothing at all

16. SeaTrooper

Jul 21, 2001
    **pounding head into floor... I wish I was there I wish I was there I wish I was there....

17. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    :( Aww, Buzz, I know you tried to get down here. You'll be here in spirit at least. And you'll catch another launch really soon, I'm sure!

-Katie
    Thumper

18. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks, Thumper, for the detailed info on the launch viewing area and free parking. It's nice to have an insider reveal this stuff. I have every intention of being there and look forward to meeting you and the rest of the gang.

19. Lord_Gita

Oct 5, 2000
    You know what Katie, what the hell. Let's do the costumes. Worst case we can suit down there. :)

20. Sandy

Jan 16, 2002
    Katie,

To Hell with Buzz's spirit. If its taking up space I'm kicking it out to the parking lot.

Sandy

21. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Okay, Darryl, sounds good. You get my insanely long e-mail last night?

I love it when a plan comes together.
    (Of course, maybe I should wait until the plan does come together before I say that.)

Looking forward to seeing y'all. It's been suggested that we get supper after the launch too, so anyone who wants to is welcome to stick around for that, but we can figure that out Thursday. I'll be posting again Wednesday night (no! wait! don't run away!).

-Katie
    Thumper
    who'd better remember now to fix the part of her costume that broke at Megacon

22. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Aloha!

How is the weather there? I hope ya'll have fun.

Sandy, was the Fanning Islands nice? I won't be able to go there aftr all. Has anyone heard about the Indonesian fishing ship that caught fire on March 13. It was drifting for a while until my cruise ship potted one of it's flairs early Tusfay morning. We picked up 11 crew orf the 12. Sadly the 12th died during the fire. One man was burned on 5o% of his body. They said that several ships passed them, but never stopped.

So since we changed course, we won't be going to the Fanning Islands. But I don't mind at all in this situation.

I can't wit to see the photograph. Hehe. I've been sick all week, so I wouldn't have been abe to make it anone. :)

From the gal who only got sunburn on her face.
    Aloha!

BTW- My dad got some nice video shots of the mountans and waterfalls. The shots are short but if you would like to borrow any of them for backgrounds, feel free to ask.

23. Sandy

Jan 16, 2002
    Mayo,

I'm not sure what the Fanning Islands are. If that's one of the thousand nicknames for Hawaii I haven't heard that one. Hawaii is generally called The Sandwich Islands but there are a lot of other labels depending on the subculture you mingle with.

You sound like someone NOT to take on vacation. Cruise ships have to divert, boats catch on fire, etc. Some people actually go on vacation to relax not be in the middle of a continuous stream of distasters. Not me of course, but there are some people who do that.

I didn't realize your cruise was so soon. I was going to send you some info but though I had more time. Apologies for that.

Thanks for the offer for the video. Depends on the format of the video whether it would be any good but I NEVER turn down offers for good video.

Sandy

24. SeaTrooper

Jul 21, 2001
    Mayo,
    Have ya thought about joining the Navy??? I think you have real potential there! You did good kiddo.

Okay now to be dark and foreboding.... (Sith don't whine....) I'll be there in spirit and to prove it everyone will get a sudden wedgie as the picture is taken! I am expanding my Sith powers :).
    I hope everyone has a blast-off.
    Love ya'll,
    Buzz

25. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Okey-day. Launch time is scheduled for 5:13pm tomorrow (Thursday). If you're going straight to the park, it would be best to get there no later than 4:45pm, IMO. If you're one of those people who's gonna carpool with me, I'll be home at 4:00, and will be going to the park at 4:40.

So. How 'bout we meet under the Gemini monument, which is the big silver II just to the north of the main part of the park. Any of the side streets there (unless posted otherwise) or the Titusville Commons south of Main St. should be available for parking.

Any questions, e-mail me at kzajdel@fit.edu until about 3:45pm.
    Pray for nice weather. I'll see ya tomorrow.

-Katie
    Thumper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.