main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL April Costume Club

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Schph_Gochi, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moy

Moy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    I knew you from the book signing :] I remembered your name was Phyllis and just put two and two together and just presumed that you were the same person.

And as for the stormtrooper armor, I don't know much about cutting and getting it to fit, because I got my armor in a kit and assembled it to fit me, but I can ask around to see if there is anyone that has had the similar issue and can lend you some assitance.

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I can help you.

TK armor is ez.

3. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Sounds good goat.....I have to say that I am a little intimidated by it...I guess I fear one bad move with a sharp object..
    .and the stuff is toast...

I do plan to bring it along with me....at least some of it....I know that I will be working on putting the vents in the bucket by cutting out the black portion of the "frown"....I have screening to put in from the inside.

I want to start to replace some of the velcro with the Industrial Strength velcro...and look into replacing some of the velcro/elastic system with snaps....

I also saw a neat tutorial on replacing the back of the belt with vinyl rather than the ABS...supposedly that is more screen accurate...dunno..haven't really done much research on this....and opinions are all over the boards with regard to rivets, snaps, velcro...and pretty much just about everything...what one person swears by...another will say is no good....very confusing...

4. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    meh, vinyl vs. abs belts. It really depends on the suit you are looking at. Despite what some people would have you believe each suit is unique in some way or another. I say go with whatever is easiest.

For TK armor snaps are the only way to go. Velcro works for some parts, like the calves, and thighs but to connect pieces at any stress/flex point you gotta go snaps otherwise you're gonna be fallin apart and needing adjustments quite often. That is no fun.

5. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Here's a useful site for everyone:
    http://www.thistothat.com/

It you give it two materials and it tells you what glue(s) you can use. Additionally it has advice on how to make the glue work better.

6. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Ok gang I'll be there, but be warned that due a full day in the bright St.Louis sun, my face is an adorable shade of pink. No telling what I'll look like when I wake up tomorrow morning.

~H~

7. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Pretty cool site Goat.....I will have to remember that one....

Yesterday I was moving my bucket and another piece fell off...lol...apparently the guy who owned it before me used a lot of hot glue. Personally, I have never had much success with hot glue...

8. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Thanks to all who came....
    Very nice to meet you Moy....I am glad that you found us...
    I love our meetings at Lionel and Emma's Studio....it is such a creative atmosphere..Thanks Chris for getting Moy home...

Thanks Erica for helping me sort out my Armor...

And to all of our participants....I always enjoy your company.....

Carrie....let me know how things go with getting to Heather's to sew....

and....

what would you all like to do for May?

9. Moy

Moy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    It was great meeting you too Phyllis :] Thanks again for bringing the book, that was a HUGE help and I want to give you a big thank you, and also bringing the extra pattern for the flak vest. You are incredible!

Thanks Lionel and Emma for letting me come and visit at your wonderful studio for the costume club! that's very generous that you would host it there (which is perfect!)

Thanks Chris SOOOOO MUCH for giving me a ride home. I can't emphasize how much I appreciate it That was very nice of you!

It was nice meeting everyone else there :] Everyone is so nice, i'll be sure to attend the next one for the leather working exercise! I have always wanted to make a real nice jedi belt :] I'm so excited!

10. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Well....one of the things we should do at an upcoming meeting is one of those spiffy hats....;)

11. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Did I read that right - Jedi belt for May? HMMMMMMM......I need to really rework mine.

Might the elusive, mysterious JediJeff make an appearance?
    Will the people recognize him?
    Will the Riddler get away with his diabolical plan to turn the dynamic duo into wax figures?

Tune in next week.....same Bat time......same Bat channel.

12. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    We definitely have leatherworking on the agenda...I bought a whole crapload of leatherworking supplies several months ago and have dabbled with them but prefer to apprentice under the "master".....Ben Kenobi...aka Lionel...

I have pieces cut already for a new Jedi belt....ready to start getting serious with it....

I will start a new thread/poll for May....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.