main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion April Fools, I know, but man I wish!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthPoppy, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
  2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [face_plain]

Please, not this again...

Pearlsaber likes this.
  3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Takei is a freaking legend. Would love to see him get a job in a big budget blockbuster instead of seeing him in our local pantomime production of Aladdin. Again.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    April Fool's is supposed to be jokes. Jokes and redundant threads are not the same thing. [face_plain]

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think he's referring to Takei's summary of the photo on his Facebook.

It's truly no more redundant than any other thread reporting on an April Fool "joke".

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed, which is why it will stay unlocked.

^^Irony^^

Chewgumma likes this.
  7. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    You would think that being in the business that he would know someone who is better at photoshop than that.

8. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    No.. it should stay a joke.. he would NOT make a good Jedi, sorry..

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    IN BEFORE THE LOCK
    :p[face_alien][face_chicken][face_clown]O:)[face_cow]=P~

11. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    LOL!

Wait a sec...George Takei is GAY!? Oh, is that the joke..? :p

;) JK, of course...

12. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Goodness Gracious Me > Oh, My!

13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'm beginning to think George Takei has himself BECOME a joke. And that's largely because he's a contradiction: at times he seems to be two entirely different people; the first one is a rather respectable person who is only trying to find some measure of personal happiness and acceptance as a person in general, and in particular as a gay man in a world that is still trying to adjust to acceptance of openly gay people; the second is a rather cheesy fellow who obviously puts himself out on hooks as lame bait for people who might give him work, such as "Hey, notice me! Wouldn't I be great on a Sulu-themed USS Excelsior series?' "Hey, notice me! Wouldn't I be great as a Jedi Master?" "Hey, notice me! Wouldn't I be great beating up on Shatner some more for no good reason?" "Hey, notice me! Wouldn't I be great stepping onto your show, that no one who doesn't watch Nickelodeon has ever heard of, in a five-second cameo and saying my wierd 'Oh, myyyy' catchphrase?" There's a layer of pathetic-ness to his character, a kind of desperation for attention, this need of his to be noticed, that simply rubs me the wrong way.

I'd feel more strongly about it if there weren't times where I half-suspected Takei was in on the joke that is him, such as his appearance on Big Bang Theory. But even there it's just hard for me to feel sympathy for his situation: "You try to stretch as an actor, do Strindberg, O'Neill, but all they want is 'course laid in, Captain...'" Yeah, I'm SO agonized that you'll be remembered for having done something when most of the planet lives and dies in anonymity (and by the way, if the prequels are any indicator, being a Jedi Master on the Council hardly counts as stretching yourself as an actor).

His "grievances," whatever the hell they really are, just baffle me. What the hell kind of stardom did he want that he didn't get? What chance does he really think he'll have to get it at his age? What happiness can he get from it that he isn't finding elsewhere in his life? And how much of his not having the kind of celebrity he wants is his fault? Even Walter Koenig got a second bite at the apple in Babylon 5, and that series may or may not have worked for some, but at least Koenig brought his A-game, took a risk, and saw it pay off to the point where at least some people will call him "Bester" first and "Chekov" second. Koenig got a second chance outside of Star Trek because the man WORKED for it. What has Takei done but become one of Howard Stern's sidekicks, and what is he known for at this point other than the occasional Shatner-bashing? Even Shatner doesn't know what that's about anymore, let alone us. And when he now comes out and basically billboards himself out for cheesy roles, who's to blame for his situation other than him?

Takei's time as an actor, for better or worse, has come and gone and he missed the boat. Period, end of story. He'd be better off if he stopped trying to be the cheesy actor-person at this point, and remained the respectable person instead, because at least THAT George Takei is one I can understand as a person. This has-been-but-still-wanna-be-actor performance of his is something I can't respect at all.

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    GT seems quite happy with his lot, actually - he's got MILLIONS of fans thanks to his very active presence on FB (anything GT post goes viral in moments) and that fan base (of which I'm pleased to be a member) supports his serious efforts as much as his humorous ones (Such as his play 'Allegiance' which seems to be Broadway bound, again in no small part due to his popularity via FB) . He's happily married, a gay rights activist, historian (I'd only mildly been aware of the Japanese American Internment camps as the Puyallup Fairgrounds had a little museum onsite, that briefly mentioned the fact it had been one in passing for many years) successful author, and humorist - not a bad way to end up all in all.

15. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
  16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    There is that everyone and to mama want to be in Star Wars thread.....

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.