main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY April Meeting-major decisions to be made-please read

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by BubaFatt, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BubaFatt

BubaFatt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2006
    As everyone knows, Chris passed the title and duties of president down to me at the picnic last year. Well, I don't think it's a secret that he's has still been taking care of alot of the duties. Between my job making me unable to commit to certain events, and the fact that promoters and others who have a past relationship with the club continue to contact him out of habit because it is simply who they have dealt have with in the past, I feel as those I haven't given this job nearly the attention or effort it deserves. After speaking about it with Chris, Rena, Joe, and others, we have to decided to try a different route. A council, or group of individuals from the club will be elected through nomination and vote, to handle the everyday duties and coordinate club functions. We will be doing this at our next meeting, which is scheduled for Saturday, April 19th at 2 p.m., location to be determined at a later date. If you at all care about or feel you have a future with this club, please do your best to make it to this meeting. We would like to have a member in charge of different types of events, such as one for costuming, one for fan films, one for gaming, etc, and someone will need to be a figurehead for purposes of public appearances and in case a quick decision needs to be made. This will hopefully make the club run more efficiently and put the burden on more than just one or two people. I'm sure there will be other items to discuss, such as finalizing plans for the cape con, so I would like to see everyone there, and if you haven't paid your dues yet, please bring them. Thank you.

2. Valhalla

Valhalla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2006
    Since I was one of the first to talk to you about this I obviously support it 110%. But I don't think it will work nor the club continue to grow as it has with you and/or Chris spearheading it. You guys are Paly and Vader we are just your Moffs.

3. Nardo

Nardo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2006
    Couple of things--

A) Shouldn't this be decided by a vote? I know that at the beginning of the fanforce we actually took a vote when we had basically decided that there should not be more than two officers because it just worked out better that way. Obviously that was then, and some people's opinions have changed. However, I think that it should still be brought up and discussed and then put to a vote. I understand that it was discussed at the last meeting, but some people couldn't make it. I think that this is a pretty big decision and needs to be discussed. Even if I had known this was going to be brought up, I still would not have been able to attend, but I could have voiced my opinion somehow, at least through a proxy vote.

and 2) I am still not convinced that this is a good idea. I totally understand the pressure that Bubba and Bower have while they are spearheading our group. However, I don't see the need to nominate and elect people for certain areas (i.e. costuming? why does this need a subgroup?) If help is needed in a certain area or for a certain event, then whoever is in charge needs to delegate. In Bubba's scenario, there would still be a "spokesperson making decisions". So where is the real change? In short. We need one person in charge. A spokesperson for the group. Whoever that is can change or whatever (maybe like Matt can be in charge of Matt's event, and someone can volunteer for another event). But outside of that, we really only need THEM to delegate responsibilities.

Am I the only one who sees it this way? I guess I just do not see the point. People know in this group, who basically is involved in what. I don't need to vote Tilford into the position of "Fanfilm President" to know who I need to talk to about fanfilms. I go to our freaking fanfilm forum and I post something. If I have a question about armor, I don't need TK-8049 carrying a business card with his title on it to know I need to talk to him.

Sorry for the book

4. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    and furthermore...

Don't get me wrong. I really don't blame Bubba and Bower for getting burned out being the president. That has to be freaking exhausting and stressful. But I really think there has to be a better way to go about this. If things are delegated well, and duties asked of a person very plainly laid out, I think that would be much smoother. Example: The president shouldn't have to handle the website.

I know that in the past, Bower has asked for people to step up and take over an event if they wanted to, and it really hasn't happened. But, I think that given plenty of notice and help, we can clearly line out who can run what event or who even wants to. i.e. Matt's Dad's event. Or TK-8049's park event. He is more than qualified to organize and dish out responsibilities to helpers. And probably should since he brought the idea to the table.

Any other opinions?

5. LordINVAR

LordINVAR Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm not really in a position to have any legitimate voice in your decisions, but I'll offer my thoughts for consideration, maybe they will help.

Nardo expressed sentiments as did Valhalla that I also agree with.

I would think most folks in a club such as yours are in it for fun. There are not too many who would consider a Fanforce on the level as an American Legion or a Chamber of Commerce where decisions require a board of officers and such. You are not managing a club of hundreds or thousands of members that require service. You are a small club. It's an opportunity to get together and hang with fellow fans, share in a hobby, troop in public when able, and to help out the community on occasion. I imagine most folks are busy with life and sometimes it's difficult to commit to every activity and event the group is involved in. I think Bubba said at the meeting that he felt inadequate to deal with everything the club required, and yet the group was able to accomplish quite a bit in the last few months was it not? The people that are able to move, to shake and to get things done are already known and understood among your group. If everyone keeps doing what they have done, and are able to step up and fill a void that someone else may not be able to fill due to time and circumstance - the club will continue to chug along at a good pace dontcha think?

If you take a hard look at what you have accomplished and what you have been able to do, what kind of government and decision-making did you have? Did that system work? What made that system work, and what might help improve on that system without requiring tossing the baby out with the bathwater or sitting an elephant down in your living room that you have not had experience with before?

In my experience, decisions made by committee tend to lead to disaster. Nothing ever gets really decided without a long drag-out argument or debate and when consensus is reached, someone is bound to have hurt feelings because their motion got outvoted or some such thing. I can relate that in the creative world, plans and designs by committee are the most arduous and aggrivating of situations to be in. Committees always lead to politics, and if you thought cliques were bad - committees riddled with politics is a nightmare.

Just recall what Padme said about Committees in TPM. There's truth there.

You have been blessed with leadership and member participation that got you to where you are now. Why fix what may not be broken? The best service to any organisation is one that is supported and run by volunteers that have their heart in the activity they are serving. There's nothing better than a volunteer to step up and take care of whatever activity or operation they are involved in rather than someone appointed or conscripted to do a job. Since Sithmonger stepped up to do fanfilms - let him be the point man on fanfilms, and I'm sure the help and volunteers to make those ideas come to life was better with open participation than it would have been if a commitee or congress had to approve and make a decision before anything could be filmed. If someone has a talent and sees a need, stand up and fill it (within reason of course - the club may not have use for club customized beer bongs, but who knows?) Today TK8049 managed to network an opportunity for folks in the club to troop an Autism fundraiser in Paducah. Cool. No committee - no bureaucrats to weigh the opportunity before it could be decided to you should participate. Anyone that is able and willing - well, you will make the event happen.

He that governs best, governs least - even though you're patterned after the Empire. A benevolent dictatorship of sorts does tend to serve the interests of making snap decisions rather than having hands tied to make calls that might require a decision that cannot wait for a convening of a council to debate it.

Most importantly, anyone that leads must first be a better servant, and lead through service. You have already experienced this in your club. It works.

6. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    I think there?s a little misunderstanding with this plan. This committee would not be making decisions for the club or be the only ones voting on items. That is the prezs and the club member?s job as it has been and will continue to be. The committee is simply to plan events and present them to the club. We would still be one club we would just have a prez and four coordinators. Fan film cord, Charity/Fundraiser cord, Costuming Event cord, & Gaming Cord. The cords would simply plan the events in their "department" taking the pressure off one or two people. Like, for example, what TK8049 posted about the autism event. If he were coordinator of Costuming he could present all the details to the other club members, be the club liaison with the autism people, and line up which costumes would be appearing. Basically planning that event. It's like Lordinvar said, "stepping up and filling a need" this way it just makes that theory a little more dependable by having a person in place to handle those specific responsibilities.
    Does that make more sense?
    We would never take all the decision making out of the club member?s hands and give it to a committee. I personally like this plan alot and not because it takes pressure off me, I really like planning all the events. But I think there are members in the club with much better talents than I in many different areas. I do think Tilford is extremely talented at Fanfilms, and I think Lordinvar is gifted in the art of Charity Event Organization, I think Matt or William would make great Gaming Event coordinators, and I think Shannon would be an awesome Costuming Event organizer.
    I think one of the pros of this system would be more of our members taking pride in an event they coordinated and enjoying a feeling of a job well done.

Please post your thoughts about this, opposed or for, spirited debate gives me life, lol

I do agree there should be a vote on whether or not this system should be adopted, so I move for a vote to do that to open the meeting on April 19th, anyone second? pv

7. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    That statement, I think, is where I got confused.

8. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    I will second the movement to vote on the cousil. I do however think it is a bad idea. Outside of my "smaller government the better" stance, I really do not think this is needed or will benefit our club in anyway. I really do think that the president has had too much to do and should have deligated more of it to members. Don't blame either Bower or Bubba for wanting part of the weight lifted. But as a president you have to DELEGATE some things.

Ok well what if he wasnt the "event/costume cooridinator"? He may know more about the event and have a love for it but if someoneelse is the "event/costume coordinator" does that give him the oppertunitiy to step up or does it complicate thinks by having to relay stuff through a counsil person?

I feel that this idea will keep members from stepping up because they may feel, well they have a person in charge of that let them deal with it.

You may have 3 or 4 more members taking pride in an event but if you alienate 15 others in the process is that a good thing? Look we all know who works hard and gets stuff done in our club. We all pretty much do. We have an outstanding FF for the size of Paducah. I have to agree with Lordinvar, why fix what isn't broke. No need to reinvent the wheel when your rolling along. Now saying all that I think us as members should do whatever we can do to help the president/spokesperson. The President shouldnt be doing the website by himself. Wading through hundereds of event pictures. Hauling all the event setup crap. If you say your gonna do something, do it. In closing I just want to reiterate that I think the problems and hurt feelings the "counsil" idea will cause far outweigh the benefits. (plus "counsil" sounds way too Jedi) lol

What does everyone else think?

Your libertarian friend, TKYTROOPER ---- REMEMBER KIDS BIG GOVERNMENT IS BAD

9. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
  10. Valhalla

Jan 26, 2006
    We're not really adding more govt. to the picture. Just adding a go to person to help lift some burden from Chris and Bubba's shoulders.

Everyone is making a lot of assumptions that the small band is going to govern everything. They aren't. I'm the one that brought this to Bubba in the first place when he was stressing, and thinking that he was doing a bad job job and about to give it up.

The "moffs" as Bubba and I joking called them Monday night basically become secretaries. Their job is to help come up with and coordinate events. To help come up with more ideas for the group.

I don't mean to step on any toes here, but the general direction of the group has gone towards costumes and fan films. And if you aren't into either of those you're left standing around with nothing to do or you're on cleanup duty. And thats all we offer to that group of people. Not everyone has the disposable income nor the extra $3500 tax refund for having a kid to throw at a $600 to $1200 set of plastic. And some of us due to the size of our backside, don't have many options to choose from anyway even if we had the money.

I would love to see other events such as a second Gonk day, a second diorama day, or maybe even a bi-weekly or monthly group who want to play the Star Wars Roleplaying game. Things that can appeal to all of our members not just a chosen few. My idea was to have secondary persons who could help come up with, flesh out, and do the leg work to get these events organized. And if someone else in the group, like Matt or Darryl, had something to contribute he could go to the "moff" who could help them with what they needed or go to the prez and they would delegate what was needed to be done. The ideas would always go through the pres first then through the group for a vote before it becomes official.

The prez will always have semi-final say and the club as a whole will always have final. Hence why this idea was brought to a vote in the first place and not just implemented.

And I agree, more members should step up and do more. It's always been the same set of people who seem to do all the work. The same ones that haul in their trucks. The same ones that get to an event at the butt crack of dawn to set up. The ones that stay late to tear down. The same ones that run the concession table, and the same ones that do all the moving. I've bowed out of a bit in the past due to personal reasons, but am ready to jump back in with both feet. However, there just doesn't seem to be much for me to be involved with anymore with the direction the club has veered.

I admit. I came up with this idea for a selfish reason. Not that I want power. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be on the "council of Moffs" (does that sounds better to you) but if I'm not, oh well. My selfish reason is I want to see more events and more things come about that I as a member can get into. The ballgame trip, gonk day, days in the park. Something that doesn't revolve around trooping and fanfilms.

In closing the "Moffs" simply become extra "official" hands for the prez. They become gophers and go to guys (or gals). They help take some of the strain off the prez. Other members still have full access to help out and come up with ideas. In fact they are encouraged to. We have a lot of new people coming in to our group. And I for one would like to see a little more organization in our group and more to offer to a wider spectrum of fans.

I hope the rambling makes since and I haven't stepped on any toes, but I think this is a great idea. And more govt. isn't a bad thing as long as it's done the right way. And I believe this is the right way. Power is not being taken from the people, but more options are being given to them.

11. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

DarkLordOsirisPrime1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2006
    Just thought I'd throw in my two cents on the subject. I whole-heartedly agree that all the responsibilities for running the club and events should not be placed on one or two people. There is no doubt in my mind that doing so is truly overwhelming and stressful. I try to help out however I can and am willing to do whatever needs to be done to help the club. And the idea of a council, is a great idea to solve the problem. Whether it is because of jobs, family, whatever, not everyone has unlimited free time. I agree that those responsible for setting up events, should be the spokesman/co-ordinator for that event. With my dad's car show, I have already had discussions with their club about some things that can be done to make our involvement run smoother, such as set times for pictures to be taken so we know what is going on. However, I can understand how some people might be just a little unsure about how the idea will eventually play out.

I think, and this is totally my opinion so I could be wrong, that some people worry that they might be excluded or marginalized from the core group. Also, I agree with Valhalla that there needs to be more events besides just trooping and fanfilms. I would love to see some prop-building days, gonk days, and maybe some regular gaming days, i.e. minis and RPG or whatever. And I freely offer my garage for prop-building and whatever. Personally, I love all the events our club is involved in, whether they be trooping, gaming, whatever. One of the things that I enjoy the most about this club, is the camraderie and friendship it gives. Outside of family and work, this club is my only social outlet and I consider those within it to be friends. And I hope the club continues to grow and strengthern. There is a lot of good we've done.

I also think we've got a great group of people in our fanforce, with a variety of interests, that makes our club so successful. For a town as small as Paducah, we have been able to accomplish quite a bit. And I agree that people who are not able to troop for one reason or another, should not feel left out or marginalized. On the flipside, people who do troop need not feel that others have any animosity towards them, whether it is because their body shape allows them to troop (and believe me, I know my body shape is not the greatest) or because a tax return is larger because of having a child and they can afford to buy a set of plastic. I definitely second pacervader's motion that this topic be the first item on our agenda in the next meeting.

If I have offended or upset anyone, that was not my intention. Just thought I'd get my opinion out there. And its true, more government isn't a bad thing, as long as its done right.

12. willismaximus

willismaximus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2006
    All I have to say is that sometimes this system works and sometimes it doesn't. Regardless of that, I think 5 people was a wise choice . . . that's really about the largest number of people you can have on a commitee and actually get things done.

The bottom line is this though . . . our leadership is wore plumb the **** out. It's hard enough dealing with all your life problems without then having to turn right around and deal with the club's. I don't see any reason why one person has to carry the load. The council idea will spread the load over several people who have the time and energy to deal with it.

I'm for it.

13. LordINVAR

Mar 13, 2002
    It appears that the reason for this 'change' in how decisions are made in the club is directly due to a need to delegate responsibility and have other members carry the load that some have been carrying since the group's inception.

In a group as small as yours, that may not really change anything, as those who were the main movers and shakers of making things happen are possibly the only ones who can continue to make them happen. I imagine that everyone that had the capability of doing something to serve the club has done so, and those not capable or willing have not. Voting for a council is not going to really change that reality.

That said, titles and authority have a nasty habit of going to some folks' heads, and contrary to the idea, more government is always the biggest enemy to the freedom and movement to accomplish even simple goals. I saw this firsthand on the Gulf Coast after Katrina when we went down there to help clean up. A group of volunteers that organized themselves to handle the rescue effort were hampered by the bureaucratic nonsense and politics of big government that ended up delaying and in some cases forbidding aid to those who needed it. So I'm rather negative on the more government is better idea. I've seen what volunteers can do versus what elected officials can do - and there is NO comparison.

Since TK8049 became the contact for a charity Autism event, and you have several members commiting to attend and serve, would TK 8049 be required to get permission from the council to do that event and would he then need to turn the event on over to whomever handles events and trooping? I think to do so hinders your ability to be flexible and to fill a need or take advantage of an opportunity. For example: If the council instead decided to go troop Cape instead of allowing members of the club to do the Autism event, you could be closing the door on an opportunity in the future. It would be wiser to let those who want to troop Cape, troop Cape, and those who are willing to do the Autism event do that. Councils have a nasty habit of making rulings that are the desire of the council members and not those volunteering. Now, If someone on the council who is technically the point man on club events coordination recognizes his role is to assist TK8049 with anything he requires in handling the Autism event, and to step in altogether if TK8049 is unavailable, then then such a council position would fulfil the intended goals without infringing on the liberties of volunteers or the rest of the club membership.

If these council positions are seen as service obligations rather than offices of decision-making, you might stave-off the power-trips that often come with positions of authority. If they are opened up to volunteers who want to serve a position and are willing and able to fulfill the responsibilites and obligations of that position, simply let the club "confirm" that person for the position they have volunteered for by a vote. If no one wants to fill a position, you could then have the president appoint somemone who accepts the position and is then 'confirmed' by a membership vote. Where I caution for example, is if say...Sithmonger is the Fanfilm Chair - if some member of the club has shot his own film or anime - does he need to clear that with the Chair before he can make or display his project? Or if he wants to do a fanfilm, is it then the Chair's responsibility to assist the member in making it? I guess the point is, people in positions of authority tend to lord it over others as opposed to serving those who want to volunteer to do something. If everyone is mindful of of that risk, and uses their position as a department chair to help facilitate any project or event to fruition by helping the membership accomplish the goal or step in and handle it themselves, I think your goals and intents of a council can help rather than hinder.

Just beware of playing politics. Leadership is one that works best when it is serving and not micromanaging or limiting others.

I do reca

14. Valhalla

Jan 26, 2006
    OK let me try to reword all of this again. The Moffs are not an extension of the governing body, they are simply there to lighten the load of the prez when it comes to events and to try to think up new ones. We'll use TK8049's Autism walk as an example. He is the one that was contacted. He is the one that came on the board and posted, "hey heres the idea". Now, instead of TK having to go to Bubba who is also trying to run his business, have a life and deal with the Cape Con the same weekend, he can go to the Moff (we'll say me) for any help thats he needed that Bubba does not have time to provide. Bubba still has full authority, will be responsible for any major snap decisions and the club as a whole will make any large decisions by vote. The Moff is there to try and help TK with any running, contacts, and prep to make the event go as smooth as possible. TK still has control and credit of his event. The Moff is just there to help handle the small bits that Bubba may not have time for.

The only extra power or anything of that nature I can forsee, is they would be the "official liason" to the prez on anything that TK couldn't deal with. Say the coordinator of the entire event wanted us to come back next year. If TK didn't feel comfortable dealing with the person, the Moff would show intrest, thank the coordinator and then get their contact info so that they or the prez could contact the person at a later date after it was established that we would in fact be coming back.

The Moff also takes partial responsibility to try to come up with new events, or recreate old ones, to try and take some of that burden from the prez. After Bubba has worked a 12 hr day and PV has been in Northern Ill all week, I'm sure the last thing they want to think about is what kind of event can I throw together this month to give the club a gathering. Moff's are the ones trying to help come up with these ideas that go to the prez and if oked to a vote with the club at large.

Other members who come across opportunities or have ideas are more than welcome and dare I say encouraged to come forward with them. Again the moff is just there to handle the menial tasks that go along with the event to take the burdon off the prez or maybe even the person who came up with the event.

We are not proposing more chiefs, just giving the one and three quarters we have a few extra hands. There is no "Council" vote on anything. The Moffs vote at the exact same time as everyone else and their vote counts as 1 just like everyone else.

What we are proposing, or the way I envisioned it anyway, is just giving an extra hand. Taking the burdon away from the one and distributing to a few others. No power shift, no struggles. Just a few extra hands and some new ideas. Everything still goes to the prez and the club as a whole for decisions, the Moffs just help the prez get the facts straight before presenting to the club and then helps with some of the mundane chores.

And the momentum won't be hindered a bit. It may even pick up with addition of new and exciting ideas and the prez having more free time to work on the important things.

15. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    O.K. Val I know you are saying they are not in a real leadership role just helpers, but shouldn't we all be doing that anyway? I count 21 members on our roster. So if we have 5 "Moffs" a President and a Treas/Sec thats one in every 3 people having a title! I still see it being more of a problem than a solution. I'm all for doing new stuff as a club or even revisiting old events. But do you need a title to get these things rolling? I don't think so.

I am also unclear on something? Is the president changing? Is that up for vote at the same time? Is Bubba staying, is it a co-president thing, Bubba/Bower? Wasnt sure about that didn't know if I missed that at the meeting Mon.

16. Valhalla

Jan 26, 2006
    TKY, Yes we should ALL be doing that. If ALL of us did that then there would be no need for this to begin with. But as an argument went many moons ago, some people want to pay dues and go head long into everything they can, and some people want to pay dues and then kick back and reap what other people sow. We don't even have to give the people a title. The idea is just to give a small group of people that the prez can count on to delegate things to when the need arises and the rest of the club have someone they know they can go to when Bubba is unavailable for something. Using the Autism walk for example. Bubba can't be at it and go to the Cape Con. The Moff, represenative, whatever would be able to take up the one he can not be at and be the go to guy for him.

You have been here since the beginning and I know you have seen many time were we have 3 or 4 different people doing their own thing at events that contradict each other, or have seen people who should not be speaking on behalf of the club do so because Bower or Bubba were tied up with other things and could have caused a disaster.

And i know some one could bring up that adding another link in the chain just gives another point of failure. But I see it as taking some of the weight off the main link.

And as far as I know, the president situation kinda stays as is. The Moff thing was an idea to help it stay that way.

17. LordINVAR

Mar 13, 2002
    "I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently....the regional Governors now have direct control over their territories" - Grand Moff Tarkin

18. Valhalla

Jan 26, 2006
    What does that mean and how does that help? Is there a point you are trying to make?

19. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Maybe we should just go on a "break." If it worked for Ross and Rachael, why not us? Everything will work out in the end.

What the hell is up with the look of the forum?!?

And "I like cake", too!!

:)

20. LordINVAR

Mar 13, 2002
    Trying a little levity within the confines of the Star Wars universe in an otherwise serious and intense subject.

I think that you will find that you and I are on the same page as to sentiments.

Perhaps you are suggesting more of a "chain of command" rather than a council to make decisions - which might be a better way to frame the debate. "Chain of command" is also very Imperial I might add.

I think of serious consideration to your note about people speaking or making arrangements on behalf of the club, who are not granted authority to do so is a point to consider and address. I'm curious as to what "3 or 4 different people doing their own thing at events that contradict each other" is. Would that pertain to folks trooping a Star Trek event or Stormtroopers speaking in Klingon?

I can think of no sacriledge greater than that.

Also - I have no freaking clue what happened to the graphic banner. Seems that the entire Midwest Fanforce section of TF.net is affected by that.

Maybe someone at NBC is fiddling around with the FTP site Sithmonger!

21. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    So, I guess it does need to be made clearer on whether or not Bubba is staying as Prez, or if its the combo of Bower/Bubba or whatev. And I can see where everyone is coming from (I haven't had my toes stepped on at all, I'm like Bower, I like debate anyway) but I'm still not convinced a Moff "council" (not counsil, tkytrooper. just your spelling gestapo here) is the way to go.

Maybe what needs to happen is we need just one more volunteer or office or whatever. Maybe a V-P position. A Grand Moff. Whatev. Maybe this is what you are looking for, Val. And if you are interested in this, you should just step up to it! I am much more inclined to one position helping out, rather than a council of 5.

22. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    I think that if people are wanting to see a change in the type of events we are doing (not just costuming and fanfilms) then they should bring it to the table, step up and do it. Then if we have one more Grand Moff or whatever, then there is someone to take the strain off of the Prez.

23. TK8049

TK8049 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2006
    This is all great and stuff but I assure you that after the council of 5 is formed,Bubba and Bower will still be asked just as many questions as they were before. I for one do not need a commitee to tell me where,when or why to troop. What if the costume person and the fanfilm guy need 4 stormtroopers on the same day?! Will there be an emergency sesssion?! An easy suggestion for this would be for people to learn to think for themselves or WWBOBD(What would Bower or Bubba do). What if after the vote Tilford isn't the guy for fanfilms. Is Bubba gonna be in charge of gaming and be president.Why not give William,Greg,Matt a shot. I didn't really care about this at first but now i'm startin to not like it. Heres how you organize an event:

Hey everyone IRON MAN opens MAY 2nd who wants to go to the show on sunday afternoon at 2 or

Hey lets go Bowling @ 7 in Metropolis.

Now heres where I might see this comittee as a plus. REALLY BIG EVENTS. Stuff like the Symphony and the Metro Con I could see putting people in charge of certain things,That makes sense but I think it already exist. I know the troopers know when to troop. The truckers know when to truck.The bakers know when to bake.etc.etc
    Before I ever posted the Autism walk.I knew Vader and at least 3 troopers would be there,because i know those people and knew they would do it. I don't think its because of the event as much as its out of friendship to me.That might be my ego talkin but I truly believe that.
    Well I'm on the verge of becoming a Tilford post so I think I'm gonna stop here.

24. willismaximus

willismaximus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2006
    But now they can direct questions to the appropriate leaders so they don't have to deal with it, which is the point. Part of being president is being the figurehead/go to guy. It's part of the job, and I doubt that would change. The only difference is now they have people to help with the responsibilities.

No one would "tell" you anything. You (and I, and whoever) will still be able/encouraged to troop whenever you want for whatever reason. The committee would just be able to provide us with MORE opportunities to troop.

That's why we have meetings. I'm sure those two people can work something out.

If there's an emergency.

People already do, and would continue to. The council isn't there to keep people from having to think for themselves. Think of them as an aid.

Seriously . . . who's not going to vote for him if he wants the job >_>

And that would continue to happen as much as it ever did . . . and both of these examples have nothing to do with Star Wars or the club itself. That's just a bunch of friends hanging out . . . I'm pretty sure you don't need to run that by the Moffs >_>

I think people are fretting over nothing. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason then we can just *GASP* go back to how it was. It's not like if it doesn't work then we are forever doomed to walk a path of destruction.

True story.

25. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    lol, wow, I had no idea everyone felt so strongly about this. I was coming at it from a totally laid back approach and never even considered most the stuff you guys brought up. I support this mainly to give our club some event variety and to include more members in said events, if you guys think that will have the oppisite effect then we def should not do it. I'm fine with the way things are, I'm here to help no matter what anyway. But you guys did bring up some very good points. I will still vote for the system but if it doesn't pass it won't bother me. pv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.