main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX April Meeting

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by _erikstormtrooper_, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _erikstormtrooper_

_erikstormtrooper_ Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2006
    So how is Saturday, April 17th for everyone?

EDIT: This month we will be meeting on 4-17 at 6:30 at TWO ROWS (www.tworows.com).
    It's located on the second floor of the shopping center at 2400 University Blvd., near Rice University.

2. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    The 501st has a pretty big event on the 24th, North Shore Relay For Life (the beneficiary of our green screen photo earnings). Anyone here is welcome to come help or just visit, but it will preclude a number of us from attending a HFF meeting.

So: I vote for the 17th. I also think we should start looking at someplace besides Stag's Head since the service and food have been sub par for the last several meetings.

3. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    Update: The Relay for Life is now on Friday, April 23rd from 6pm until Saturday morning at 6:00 a.m. (I reported it wrong.)

I think the Star Wars booth is closing around midnight of the 23rd.

I think the 17th would be good for me.

4. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Anyone else for the 17th?

Ian, Stag's Head has been rough lately, but I'd say that has more to do with us not getting the party room. But you may be right. I really wish there were some way we could reserve the room.

In the past, people have suggested Two Rows and Bodegas Taco Shop as possible places to meet. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let us know.

5. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a place that has beer, dinner, and won't be ticked off if we camp for three or more hours like usual.

Bodegas is great, but seating and parking would be issues there. Two Rows might be a good option; the food is good, they validate the parking, and have lots of space both indoors and on the covered patio. It might need to be avoided if there are any big sports event on meeting night, though.

There is also- very close to Stag's- a bar called Mugsy's that might be OK. The Hobbit Cafe is next door, so anyone who wants to eat could meet at Hobbit Cafe at 6:30-7pm, then mosey over to Mugsy's about 8ish. Just a thought.

6. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    I like the idea of trying new places but I am not interested in eating at one place and then moving over to the bar for our meeting. I am there for the nerd rush not the alcohol.

I would think there is too many places that would love 15 to 20 people on a Saturday night to give there place a good shot of money and would offer great service. Heck they could advertise that we meet there.

If they are really into marketing, they would help sponsor our booths at cons and we could pass out their flyer as our meeting place. win-win.

7. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Jumping from place to place will be too much trouble, since we have some people who eat early, and some who eat late.

I think we should try Two Rows.

So please vote on where we should go:

- Let's try Two Rows
    or
    - Let's stay at Stag's Head

8. Sith-Trooper

Sith-Trooper Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2009
    I'm always open to trying something new so my vote is for Two Rows.
    I should also be good to go for the 17th.

-Brian

9. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    Two Rows
    2400 University Blvd
    www.tworows.com

Menu looks like it has a lot of good choices with good prices.

I vote for trying Two Rows.

10. StormMoose

StormMoose Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Change is good. I should make it unless something comes up.

11. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    OK. That's 4 people for Two Rows (including me), and 0 against. Anyone else?

12. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Either one is fine for me. The food is much better at Two Rows, as is the beer. The only thing is its proximity to Rice... lots of college kids go out to party in Rice Village and may be loud & rowdy if that bothers anyone.

Looks like its Two Rows this month!

13. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    I received a few more votes for Two Rows via email, so I'm officially calling it for Two Rows. First post updated.

14. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    I'll cross-post it to the Facebook page.

15. TK8171

TK8171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2009
    Two rows sounds great! But, I might have to miss this meeting. If things change, I will be there to try it out. Is there anywhere downtown that we could meet at? I know over at Discovery Green there is a bar/restaurant that is called the Grove. Bodega's over near the Houston Museum of Science is good too. Just some ideas.

16. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    Hopefully everyone received the blast email about NC Relay for Life. If not, let me know.

We are needing toys, (Burger King, Happy Meal, Beanie Babies) to use as prizes for the carnival games. If you have some to donate, bring them and we can make a parking lot trade. They can be new and slightly used.

Even if you are not able to make the Relay on April 23, we can still use the toys.

See ya on Saturday....

17. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Chris, most of that stuff by the Green is pretty pricey. The exception might be Home Plate Grill.

Star Pizza on Washington is close to downtown. There are also a lot of new restaurants along Washington that might be happy to have a group show up. I'll do some looking.

18. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    John, is it OK if the happy meal toys are a little old (monsters vs aliens, etc)? We have tons of old happy meal toys at home.

Chris and Ian, feel free to get as many suggestions for a meeting place as you want. If there's a place that has a separate room where we can meet, that would be awesome.

Proposed agenda for this weeks's meeting:
    - Follow-up thoughts on Comicpalooza (everyone)
    - NC Relay for Life (John)
    - Astros Star Wars day (Chris)
    - Any updates on Celebration V plans (everyone)
    - Discussions on places to meet (Ian, Chris, & anyone else)

Anything else y'all would like to talk about?

19. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    Erik, I believe that every toy can make a child happy. I will take anything you offer.

Thank you.

20. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    I made a reservation at Two Rows in my name (Erik) for 6:30. We have a table for 8 set up, but we may be able to expand if more come. At least 3 people need to be there before they can seat us.

21. StormMoose

StormMoose Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    If i can still make it, i will be late. I am in Katy with an old friend and have no idea when I will leave out here.

22. Slowmo

Slowmo Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    see you guys in an hour or so.

23. Sith-Trooper

Jun 30, 2009
    Another fun meeting!!!! We also have Comicpalooza to thank for our newest member Catherine.

2 Rows was a great venue. Too bad they charge for parking if you are there past 3 hours. Thankfully its only a couple of dollars offset by the good food/beer and big tv screens:)

Group Pic

24. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Yes, welcome, Catherine. I thought it went pretty well at Two Rows. In the next few days I'll try to update the thread with my notes.

Brian, did you end up paying something for parking? If so, this could be a potential deal break for Two Rows in my book.

25. Sith-Trooper

Jun 30, 2009
    Yeah, I paid 2 dollars and was only 1/2 hour past the 3 hour mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.