main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I knew I smelled snow and ice in the air outside tonight!

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Who says we need Lucas for a species name? He's superfluous now.

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Okay, the name is Fraypa. Or Siipder. Happy now? Unless it is Whill, and Yoda and the rest were exiled because they don't like writing, the mystery can't have a satisfying answer.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Calling it now: Moglin. Mogwai-Gremlin.

Also sounds like "Boglin"! And Boglins were cool.

5. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    It further turns out that the speedo-wearing bodyguard in Clockwork Orange was David Prowse. Apparently a few hours on the internet is all it takes to reveal my ignorance of fandoms I claim to belong to. :oops:

TrakNar likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    RC-1991 Have you seen this??

IT'S VVARDENFELL!!!!!!!!

also Solstheim.

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SWEET VIVEC THE RUMORS WERE TRUE!!!!!!!!! Oh my gods I can't wait to see the New North, as the ruins of Vvardenfell are supposedly called. This is perfect, because I've been working on a Dunmer character whose backstory involves fleeing Dunmer politics on Solstheim.

If you all will excuse me for a moment, I seem to have soiled myself.

EDIT: and now I notice that they haven't put out a PC release date yet, while XBox gets it on December 4th. On the one hand, dangit Bethesda stop it Microsoft already gave you a lifetime supply of XBL points; on the other hand, the console players get to bug test this for the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. This will make the first Skyrim DLC that I actually buy.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I bought the other two because I figured, why not? Hearthfire seems kind of silly when I can just get a house via mods, but oh well. I like how well-integrated official things are.

I'm really pleased that the crazy mushroom houses are still around -- I could ahve sworn that town we saw was Sadrith Mora, as it looks very familiar. Solsthiem itself looks different, the Imperial fort seems like it's seen better days.

Also I am really psyched about riding dragons. I had a mod for Oblivion that let you basically go around riding Akatosh. Combined with open cities, I basically never needed to use a horse or fast travel again---I just rode a freaking dragon god into town. And if some bandit or Daedra was foolish enough to attack me, well, the dragon god of time quickly disposed of them :p

(As for the whole Xbox thing -- yeah, it's going to be another Xbox preference thing. I don't see the point. Obviously it's due to a contract they have with Microsoft to favor their stuff--but PCs are a Microsoft platform too, dammit!)

edit: Also, watching that again, it looks like the Dunmer refugees may have also colonized part of Solsthiem too--I saw a Redoran style residence there. Also, BULL NETCH and BETTY NETCH! I miss those crazy guys...

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Holy crap! I am SOOOOOOOO excited to return to there. Vvardenfell AND Solstheim? That is wicked. I wonder what happened to old Imperial Legion base there, as well as that city you found. Holy crap, there are TONS of memories from Elder Scrolls: Morrowind flooding back into my brain... ]-}

--Adm. Nick

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    haha we posted at the same time basically -- but yeah, I think you can see bits of that old fort there in the trailer!

I miss the zaniness that was Morrowind. I haven't gone back to it since Skyrim came out but oh man, I have the sudden itch to pull it up again... I want to see all my old haunts again, hear the cry of the silt striders, get called a fetcher and an n'wah by those awful Ordinators...

11. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I still go back to it at times. MGSO+Tamriel Rebuilt=whole new game. And the lore confirms that the Dunmer resettled on Solstheim; there was a monkeytruth over on the forums a few months back that gave some speculation as to the political makeup of the island and the rebuilding efforts on Vvardenfell. As for the other DLC, well I did "play" them on PC, if you take my meaning. Hearthfire was kind of cool, but doesn't play nicely with mods. Dawnguard had some really neat stuff- the best parts were lore-based (Soul Cairn, St. Jiub, Auriel's Bow, Gelebor, the Aetherium Forge, etc.). That port had to be a resettled Raven Rock, I saw a netch, I saw corprus victims, Hermaeus Mora's realm, maybe Divayth Fyr's tower?, and that Dragon Priest's mask looks like a Falmer helmet, which is interesting considering how the Falmer originated on Solstheim.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Heathfire messes with mods? Like what?

What's MGSO? And I've seen TR but I haven't put it in, because as far as I knew, there weren't any story quests or anything to do there. And really the game has enough stuff to do that I don't have to really worry about content as it is... and besides, I update my mods sufficiently every time I come in that it's worth starting over.

Actually, the really miraculous thing is that somehow I've maintained the same Morrowind installation from 2002 -- across four different computers and with the addition and removal of probably 20gb of mods over time -- and somehow the darn thing still works.

I've been holding off going back to Morrowind until Westly finishes his head pack. Have you seen those? It's the best head pack ever -- because instead of using celebrity faces or whatever, he takes the VANILLA faces and tries to make them look like they were made for a modern game. He's finished the Nords, Bretons, Bosmer, Altmer, Redguards, and Orcs so far I think... still waiting on Imperials and Dunmer.

Examples: Female Altmer, male Breton, female Imperial (WIP), male Imperial (WIP), female Nord, male Nord -- etc etc.

The Imperials look freaking AWESOME.

13. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Hearthfire hates the Unofficial patch, randomly gets screwed up by Wildlife mods... there's a big list floating around somewhere. It messes with some really random scripts.

TR now has quests implemented (though no main quest yet), and extends from the tippy top of eastern Morrowind as far south as the northern border of the Indoril holdings. Port Telvannis, Kemel-ze, Necrom, Firewatch... they've all been implemented, and they're awesome. I'll try and see if I can upload some of my screenies from it.

MGSO is a huge graphics and sound overhaul that basically brings Morrowind's graphics up to Oblivion levels, but with Morrowind's massively superior art style. The 3.0 version is out, but for now I'm sticking with the 2.2 or 2.5 or whatever the previous version was. http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, that. I could never install that without jettisoning my Morrowind installation and starting from scratch -- it implements WAY too many disparate new things, and I hate modpacks because I don't get to control what goes into them. I have a lot of high res texture packs and a lot of improved armor/clothing models, but I mix and match them individually on a per-texture basis and I'll even go in and tweak the textures and mods that don't match what I want. I need full control dammit. :p

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't got to play anything The Elder Scrolls, let alone Skyrim, but I have been tremendously interested in it ever since virtually everything I have heard about it basically said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Morrowind might just be the greatest game ever. It's seriously written on a literary level. Oblivion was... well it was fun at the time. Skyrim is fun, but lacks the mind-blowing Morrowind writing. But you should definitely give either Morrowind or Skyrim a try.

Heck, my current icon is derived from ES lore. Good old Vivec. Became a god by murdering his friend/realizing that he was in a videogame.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The thing is -- you get from these games what you put into them. Skyrim is more accessible to everyone (so is Oblivion, but it's a little TOO arcade-y). I've seen plenty of people who I think would appreciate Morrowind give up on it because they enter a game with a giant huge world and it doesn't hold your hand.

But persistence is rewarded. In spades.

RC-1991 likes this.
  18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    What's the Latin word for that?

Spades. I mean.
    :p

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Apparently the 1.8 Beta update had various hidden references to the upcoming DLC, and enterprising folk managed to ferret them out.

I came into Elder Scrolls late (haven't bothered with a fantasy-type computer game since the original Bard's Tale) but bought Oblivion cheap while I waited for Skyrim to go on sale. What can I say? I was impressed. Going through iteration Number Two on the game, with both current DLCs. Man, that game is big. And it really rewards you if you take the time to actually learn how to do things besides just swing a sword.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you thought Oblivion was great, Morrowind and Skyrim will blow your mind. :p

Palae. :p

21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    My God, I don't even want to know the total number of hours I poured into Morrowind and it's expansions. I know it is easily triple or quadruple what I ever put into Oblivion or Skyrim. Morrowind was my first foray into the world of TES and I will always have the fondest of memories for it.

--Adm. Nick

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Shoot, I wasn't too clear, was I? I should've mentioned that I *did* get Skyrim (after playing Oblivion) and I'm on the Second Iteration of that game right now.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Damn you Jello, I am loading up Skyrim on my XBOX 360 right now. Guess I will see what my Imperial Dragonborn is up to. Probably upholding the Empire and defeating traitorous Nords.

Thank Akatosh I kept Skyrim in the Empire. All that remains is Cyrodill, Skyrim, and High Rock. We must rebuild our strength and reunite all of Tamriel under the glory of the Empire! Those traitorous High Elves and their new Dominion must be stopped at all costs.

For the Empire!

--Adm. Nick (seriously, Jello didn't hack my account, I just love TES) :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's spelled Cyrodiil :p

It's just a shame that we're serving these silly Medes. Bring back the Septims!

Point Given likes this.
  25. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Personally, I wish Bethesda had allowed the player character to make a bid for either the throne of Skyrim or the Ruby Throne itself. Or both. Dragonborns do have this tendency to end up in such a position, after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.