main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The original has it's charms and it's highlights, but watching the original is unnecessary to watch the reimagining (outside of recognizing actor cameos and eventual flashbacks to the Cylon War (which Blood & Chrome is a part of) using the ship and robot designs from the original series).

Watching Caprica, then B&C, then BSG might be an interesting viewing experience- even though Caprica was cancelled, it's coda probably connects nicely to things.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No point in watching the original series unless you want to see all the gags and homages.

I would suggest: BSG (reimagined), Caprica (if you must), and then this new B&C

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah! Next you'll be bagging on the Star Wars Holiday Special. I have fond memories of the series.

No, seriously. Back in the pre-Internet days, when cable and VCRs were luxuries, you took what you could get on TV. Now? Good grief, they're the worst. Even the original BSG is pretty dated - but like Buck Rodgers, there's a few episodes worth watching.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am SOOOOOOO excited for Blood and Chrome. I am still at the office, so I will not be able to watch until later.

I was saying in another thread that this type of series would be awesome if based around a Rebel starfighter squadron during the period between ROTJ and Episode VII. Disney, you better take notice!

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't like BSG reimagined or SGU, but I would take either one of them over Sci-Fi's failure to continue having space sci-fi shows.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    SGU suffered from utter character concept failure, you literally just waited for the one of the cast to slip up somehow and be eaten by the rest, which is especially jarring if you contrast it with SG 1 and SGA which had fun characters and was based around adventure and comradeship.

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, watched some eps of SGU on PIck TV - not the same as it's predecessors and that isn't good.

BSG: B&C looks like it could be quite epic, the first few minutes of that first ep were stunning. Too bad it's only being done as a movie, I'll still get the DVD.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Agree. I found the first two eps to be excellent, but I am huuuugely annoyed having found out that Syfy didn't actually pick it up and all we're getting is what was originally the pilot episode.

Syfy is stupid.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    SGU had a rocky early first season- the first few episodes were mostly excellent (and among the few pieces of entertainment to really capture the wonder and beauty of the universe [Sunshine's Mercury moment probably being the only other recent example[) but it got hung up on a lot of the Earth/stone scenes.

Then they introduced the first major threat (the blue aliens) with the rather clever twist that they made the stones a threat to use, which seemed almost like an on-the-fly acknowledgement of their overuse earlier in the season.

By time they got to the second season, they really did find the perfect balance between the serious BSG-style and the adventurous SG1-style. Sadly it didn't get a third season, because it really was going somewhere with the plot, characters and overall episode quality.

Still, Rush, Eli & Greer were absolutely fantastic characters (easily as good as the top 3 characters from the other shows, just in different ways....ok, maybe not McKay. It's hard to top McKay).

If we're lucky we'll get to see them again one day (the end of SGU is fortunately suited to explaining any reasonable gap of time). They had several movie wrap up plans in the works (one that was an SGU resolution, and another that brought together the casts of all three shows to wrap things up) had MGM not been in serious trouble at the time.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    What really ticked me off about the failure of Universe was the fact it ruined plans for the third SG-1 movie, Stargate: Revolution, and the first Atlantis movie, Stargate: Extinction. I guess no one at Sci-Fi (yes I still call it Sci-Fi despite the fact it was re-branded Syfy) or the creative team behind the series realized that an adventure series like SG-1 and Atlantis were what Stargate fans wanted, not something similar to BSG reimagined. Sci-Fi is indeed stupid ever since they stopped having space sci-fi shows, and the re-branding to Syfy and refocus on reality shows sure didn't jive with me either.

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    All I can say on that is that there's a reason I don't have cable.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Since Eureka ended recently, the only show I still watch on Sci-Fi is Warehouse 13.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm sorry to tell you this.... but Eureka's Castle ended seventeen years ago.

CooperTFN likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We all still live inside a small world owned by a giant. The dragons just became bears.

The loss of SGU to anchor the other movies was certainly a contributing factor, but the main thing was MGM's financial state of flux and the collapse of the direct-to-DVD market, more than any supposed fan backlash (as SGU maintained pretty decent ratings, all things considered).

SFC was only at fault for SGA: Extinction, since they were the ones who were supposed to fund it/air it first. Revolution was to be like the other 2 DVD movies, funded by MGM with backend deals for rebroadcast on SFC.

And, once MGM got things straightened out, their only focus was on Bond and The Hobbit to start generating revenue.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally finished and uploaded my Tron Legacy Easter egg & homage guide! :D Been working on this a little at a time since the movie came on video last year.

RC-1991, Ulicus , blackmyron and 2 others like this.
  17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I read three Cthulhu Mythos stories last night, which brings my current count up to four.

RC-1991 likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Whoh.... that's hardcore! Awesome! [face_hypnotized]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You. I like you.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I hope not by Derleth or Lumley...

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Lovecraft and Belknap Long.

blackmyron likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    s65horsey, Zeta1127, TrakNar and 2 others like this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    My eyes cannot handle awesomeness of that magnitude! ^:)^

--Adm. Nick

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Must... create... snowflakes... [face_hypnotized]

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    To all my friends and fellow posters here, I wish a very happy Thanksgiving! [face_peace] Since many of you are not Americans, I still wish you an awesome day all the same. [:D]

Just finished the stuffing (my contribution to our family dinner today), so now I am off for a shower & shave before heading over to my folks house.

Copious amounts of food and drink, assemble! [face_flag]

--Adm. Nick

s65horsey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.