main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    [:D]

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Happy Awesome Day to everyone!
    That needs to become a real thing.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Happy Ottoman Empire day everyone!

There's something peculiar about a fish eating a turkey.

...peculiar? I sound like Threepio!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So I get to work from 7:30 PM tonight until 9:00 AM tomorrow morning. At Toys'R'Us. Whee.

If you see a news story tomorrow where some cashier strangled a customer with a phone cord, it was probably me.

On the upside, GOTY edition of Fallout 3 actually works with my Windows 7 PC!

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    My prayers are with you.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I had my first ever day of work at Disneyland on Thanksgiving during the 50th anniversary -- it was a nightmare. There were more people there than are in most settlements in the flyover states. It was a nightmare.

Just remember RC, "he was an annoying customer" is not a mitigating factor in most assault charges . . . although maybe it should be.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I know there are a lot of EU-Who fans, so some of you might get a kick out of this:

(also congrats Jello on reaching 70k posts!)

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I stopped by a local A+Plus Mini Market for a bag of ice today and I saw for sale Knight Errant and Riptide. Seeing those books at a convenience store amused me.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No way, I used to get single issues of Dark Empire from the local pharmacy (CVS-equivalent, doesn't exist anymore) and I'd get my Bantam EU books from Target. That's where I basically got the entire X-wing series when they were still new. :p

Thanks!!

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I used to get my comics at the pharmacy, too. Didn't have a Target in my area, so I got my books at Waldenbooks. I also picked up my sourcebooks from a music store that has since been replaced by a walk-in clinic.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I remember Waldenbooks. By the time of the NJO, I had moved on to mostly Borders (and in the early stages, Waldenbooks before it closed down). Now Borders is gone too. :(

I'd get the WotC sourcebooks from the Wizards store at the mall, back when that existed.

I never had WEG sourcebooks until relatively recently, thanks to the used book market. In the olden days of the EU, I'd look upon someone quoting a sourcebook on the boards as something close to a mystical oracle -- and someone possessing the SWAJs was obviously nothing less than divinely inspired!

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have one SWAJ somewhere... bought it at On*Cue, before it closed.

WotC sourcebooks I got at Barnes & Noble, or Borders, when they were still around. There's a Gamers' Resource store at one of my local (as in the next county) malls, and I can get RPG sourcebooks there. Local bookstores, back in the day, helped with building my EU library. I bought a few books at the Whistlestop Book Shop, before it closed and became a tattoo parlor. Then the old bookstore just a few doors down from the Square in Gettysburg had Bantam era books for cheap... until it closed and became a hippie shop.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My traditional Local Game Shop evolved to the point where their RPG section contained either (a) the most popular titles that were readily available at a bookstore or (b) the stuff they couldn't sell that they refused to put into a bargain bin, so they could have the illusion of being well-stocked. There was no in-between - frequently I'd ask about a title, and they would explain that they would only get one or two copies and that they were sold out, and didn't replace it because there was no demand... why they couldn't understand "sold out and someone asking to buy it" with "demand" I can't fathom, but then offering to order it was salt in the wounds. I'm in the store because I want to get it immediately instead of waiting to order it, which I can do online, myself.

Fortunately, a new game store has finally opened with an in-store warehouse, so I can order something and go and pick it up immediately, which is awesome.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    If Gettysburg had a larger population of nerds, getting a hold of things wouldn't require a trip across county lines. Living in Gettysburg has proved to be quite...

*sunglasses*

...a battle.

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Arawn_Fenn and blackmyron like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you can't beat 'em, Antietam.

Point Given and TrakNar like this.
  16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So, free tip for all of those Litizens who plan to work retail during the holidays:

You can kill hours by grabbing a few re-shop items and just wandering aimlessly down the aisles with a mildly confused yet determined look upon your face.

Valin__Kenobi and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  17. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I used to work at Borders during the time a majority of the time that the NJO was released. I'm am surprised Borders held on as long as they did. We never got incredibly busy, even during Christmas.

18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yay, my stars are back! Now I can act like my opinion matters!

TrakNar likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You guys hear something?

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    What does everyone think of Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome so far? For me, it has been a mixed bag. Especially the graphics. I am assuming that the budget for special effects is more limited for this series. I also think most characters are rather predictable and boring. On a positive note, I do like seeing all those different classes of Colonial Fleet warships. Still, all the eye candy in the world is no substitute for a good plot and solidly written characters.

--Adm. Nick

21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh yes new avatar

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    "Check and mate. I learned this by studying your art. Your idle doodling in the margins of your school papers taught me a lot about your strategies."

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Cross-posting from the Disney thread - just watched Safety Not Guaranteed. ST or no ST, you guys should all watch it. Awesome.

24. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

The other guy in my icon is the malevolent looking guy in the white

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll just leave this here.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.