main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That sucks. :( Are you doing something at least half-ways entertaining?

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh I am sure I will go up to the roof at midnight to watch the fireworks anyway. :) So no harm.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Hope nobody shoots fireworks through my window.

That's about it.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I've lived for over twenty years in New York and have never gone down to the ball drop at Times Square on New Years Eve, a tradition I intend to continue.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I went to NYC for New Year's one time, and watched the ball drop from the hotel ten blocks away. It was either that or get there twelve hours early. [face_talk_hand]
    My paperback spines are utterly obliterated. And I don't even reread them for the most part; I'm just an unrepentant folder.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I try to keep my paperbacks as uncreased as possible- much for the same reason as the above: I'm going to be seeing those spines far more often in my life than their contents. Another reason why I prefer HC's- you only have to worry about damaging the dust jacket, and, even then, one might be able to replace that and keep the book itself (which is useful if it's signed, for example).

As for New Years, only working til 10 tonight after an 11 hour shift, but no particular plans. Have to be in at work at 9 tomorrow, so I may just skip the whole countdown thing and get some sleep after an exhausting week (unfortunately, even having the never-happens fortune of not working on Xmas Eve AND Xmas Day did nothing for my state of restfulness), though if I decide to stay up for it, I'll probably just kill time playing ZombiU until the ball drops.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    New Years: That sucks Gorefiend -- I had to work NY in 2005 (into 2006). My shift didn't end until 12:30, but I was popular enough with my coworkers that I managed to convince somebody to cover my shift as well as theirs so I could sneak out early and catch the special Disneyland 50th anniversary + NY fireworks. :p

I'm going to spend the day with JC friends tomorrow, so I'm as yet uncertain if I want to have a late night out tonight or not. We'll see.

Books: Oh man, I should take a picture of my copy of XW:RS sometime. The things got its spine creased half a dozen ways, with bits of the cover just falling off, and half of the book detached from the binding. It's taped up more haphazardly than the Falcon's hyperdrive. That particular book (and many of my Bantam books, really) is the reason why I take super good care of my books now and want them to appear as close to new as possible. If there's even the slightest crease on the spine, I've failed.

The only exception to this policy is dog-ears: I started that with Bantam (XW:RS has dozens of them!) and largely continue it, though sometimes I feel guilty.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    My first copy of Return of the King fell apart at the crease. And I'm scared to touch my copy of Shatterpoint, for fear of a similar occurrence.

My New Year's Eve will be spent experiencing whatever stuff Charleston, WV is putting on (I think the Symphony might be doing something).

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Shamefully, my copy of Darksaber is the second most badly deteriorated of my books, meaning that I'd read it the second most times as a kid...

STOP JUDGING ME, I WAS IN THIRD GRADE AND DIDN'T KNOW BETTER

Mirax Terrik, Zeta1127 and DarthBoba like this.
  10. Red.Two

Red.Two Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2012
    Jello, you're looking at someone who thought "Spock's Brain" was one of the great TOS episodes, that the Marvel Star Wars comics were tons more fun than the Dark Horse run, and that people should just enjoy Lady Gaga for the entertainment she provides. I'm in no position to judge anyone. :cool:

11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Ok I gotta ask because it's been bugging me for a while: cthugha: why do you have a demonized version of Team Padme's avatar? Is this like, a personal thing between you two?

12. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    erm... not that I know :p
    I just liked the picture when I saw it in the ERC and started to use it as an avatar... then some time later Team Padme asked me if I had used Avatar Request, which I'd never heard of (what's that?), and some more time later I saw that she was using the same picture I did... so I just inverted the colors on mine to avoid confusion :p
    I don't mind really -- I guess Avatar Request is some process to guarantee you the exclusive use of your avatar picture or something? -- and as Team Padme is clearly the bigger Allana fan of the two of us I figured she should have the original pic. Eventually I want to change my avatar to something else entirely anyway, just haven't figured out what exactly I want it to be yet [face_thinking]

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My copy of Fellowship of the Ring is in tatters because I brought it to school a bunch for a writing assignment. Otherwise, only my copy of ROTS has a creased spine, among my SW books.

I unfortunately am at the worst part of a head cold, so I'm gonna stay in this year and watch New Years stuff on TV, maybe have a few drinks with my dad. (I know, drinks + cold ≠ good idea, but whatever :p ) Some years I spend New Years in Cape Cod and go to a "cod drop" in Chatham, but not this year. As for Times Square, I already loathe the place when I see Broadway shows, so I can very well imagine how bad it'd be on New Years. Plus, no more Dick Clark. :(

14. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Heh all my old Bantam books are stuffed with little bookmarks, one for every page where there was some bit of continuity that I thought I might use for my 400+ page fanfic 8-}

But the only two books I've ever really ruined are my Annotated Alice (by carrying it around in the rain; I gave myself a new one this christmas:p) and the copy of Finnegans Wake I tried to glue around a stick so the beginning would be next to the end as the text implies... :oops:

15. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    My copy of Dark Force Rising fell in half, and then I lost one of the halves. :( I still need to get a replacement copy.

My books are well-loved.

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    8 to 8 shift for me, so 8+ more hours to go and fireworks are likely to suck, as it raining like the world was ending. [face_plain]

Actually mine is as well, though do to it getting drenched in a mixture of coffee, mineral water and orange juice. Iron Fist on the other hand is utterly destroyed from reading it way too often, though I own 2 other copies of that. One for looking nice on the shelf and the other for re-reading ;)

Avatar Request is usually a thread where people can ask others to make a board avatar for them. We lack such a thread because as good SW fans we are apparently all tech savvy enough to make our own Avatars. :p

You could always go for old Daala just to scare everyone. :D
    [​IMG]

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Happy New Year!

Hmm, 2013 - has a nice ring to it. Not sure why, maybe due to 2012 having a hold on the popular imagination but that's now gone.

Whatever the reason, does actually feel new this year!

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think my JAT (and maybe my first three Tales Of/From) have spine creases, but I improved much after that.

My SW & ESB paperbacks are wrecked, though. Scotch tape along the spine keeps the former in one piece. Damn photo pages ;)

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    In my youth, I did not care for my books well enough, so I have some creases in the collection. This has since ended, however, and I am now a master of spine preservation who cringes at the sight of creased spines.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Happy New Year!

Great start as well, we already had to call the Fire Brigade because one of the patients set fire to his room when he tried to shoot a rocket out the window…. :rolleyes:

21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Happy N....what the heck Gorefiend?!?? Everyone ok??

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    The patient who set off the rocket was the only one who got injured and had light burns on his hands and face, though I am sure setting fire to his room didn’t help the lung condition he was getting treated for. Otherwise only light property damage in one room (curtains are gone, as is the bed and the room will have to be repainted) and a lot of riled up personal and patients. Though we are still wondering how the hell he managed to hide the fireworks in his room, since his last visitor was a week ago.

Still he is pretty lucky all things considered, other than likely having to pay for the repairs and the fire brigade operation (unlikely to get sued as he is senile). Minor miracle being that we wasn’t actually hocked to his oxygen flask at the time. As that would likely have gotten him to go up in cinders and the oxygen tank itself would likely have turned ballistic and punched a hole through the wall, or a person (though maybe not as the current models are designed to be able to handle such pressure and have security valves).

23. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Really, guys? Is there any real way to prevent spine creases, or am I just that uncoordinated and/or careless? I've tried reading my paperbacks in about every way I could think of, and I seem to always end up with creases and worn corners.

And speaking of XW:RS, I've got parts that have come that are held on with tape. The spine is a total mess. My copy of the OT is nearly as bad.

What bugs me more than the spine creases and worn edges are the smudgy little prints that appear on the outside of the pages right where thumbs tend to rest. I'm guessing it's oil coming off the skin, because I've always had a strict policy of never reading anything until I wash my hands. I'm not the type who wold thumb through a paperback while eating snack food. SBS and Shatterpoint look kind of dirty because of it. [face_blush]

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    FYI Dark Horse Digital is having a New Years deal: $2 off anything. That's enough to get you one free back issue.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Don't crack them open along the spine; hold them along the sides of the spine with your fingers and bend the pages open with your thumbs, so that you're curving the covers and the pages rather than the spines. It gives the covers some light curl, but putting them back on the bookshelf between books cures that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.