main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, part 2 out of 2 to come tomorrow. Then I'll need to have to play another dice RPG in order to have more shenanigans... but don't worry, I plan to! Sure, people could just make characters to win the adventures, but what's the point of role playing if you don't actually play a role? :D

...oh hey that game actually looks kind of pretty. Graphics are a little last decade, but the designs themselves look thoughtful. At least the Roman ones do, I didn't really pay attention to all the barbarians. (edit: oh wow, they started work ten years ago -- well that explains it then. Still, it's cartoony but the buildings look right so that's fine with me. Hope the game is actually fun though).

Blithe likes this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    They haven't optimized things as much as they would like, mainly AI and pathfinding, so it has some lag, but it really is the logical evolution of Age of Empires.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well at least more logical then Age of Empires Online [face_sigh]

Zeta1127 likes this.
  4. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, when I saw Age of Empires Online and its cartoony graphics, I was horrified.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    BTW, the map set that Martin oversaw for GOT was incredible, especially since one of the major maps is of a region that has never, ever been travelled through in the series.

There's also a puzzling number of Lovecraftian references on the maps. I haven't puzzled that out yet.

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It turning out to a classic pay to win MMORPG is what actually annoyed me way more, especially since I had hoped that they would just make Age of Empires 4, since I enjoyed 1 to 3 immensely, especially since after #3 they would pretty much have had to make it Napoleonic / Victorian or go back to the classic period.

7. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    In which Keralys and Mrs. Keralys are bouncing off the walls giddily awaiting the arrival of The Wheel of Time, Book 14: A Memory of Light.

Also, we're completely packed up and out of Oklahoma and will depart my family's abode in Colorado for seminary in North Carolina in a day and a half. Life is crazy right now.

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Sadly, I missed the boat on Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III, but I sure wanted Age of Empires IV instead of "a classic pay to win MMORPG" too.

9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I still need to get that.

And love all the Lovecraft references in Martin's books, so should be interesting to see more. Are they primarily Mythos, or his other stories as well?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The maps are pretty awesome. I'm more interested in Valyria and the Free Cities than the far far regions, of course.

And man, Age of Mythology was bananas. What a fun game.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have played the Age of Mythology demo, and I definitely plan on trying acquire a copy of the original and the expansion at some point.

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Age of Empire 3 and Expansions are on Steam, though I think you might just have missed a half price sale and yes Age of Mythology is great fun. :D

13. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Aside from CKII DLC, I abstained from the Steam Sale. Need money for A) dinner/beer when I return to Morgantown and B) Dragonborn on PC (BETHESDA WHY ARE YOU HOLDING OUT ON ME MOST OF THE MORROWIND FANS ARE ON PC ANYWAY ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH).

Ahem.

So in other news, I just finished marathoning all 2.5 seasons of The Walking Dead.

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Apparently the PC version has very different coding so a lot more effort to properly implement it. I also pretty much abstained from the Steam Sale (though for the simple reasons that I had already bought all the games that caught my interest before) though I gifted a few games as holiday presents.
    I have been catching up on Mentalist, best thing about it, I can do it whilst at work ;).

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    See, I could have sworn it was the PS3 version that had different coding, whereas the 360 and PC versions are basically the same game, only one has mod support (and I'm still a bit peeved that Elder Scrolls has become a console-first series, when it was originally a PC game). I've heard tell of people using the 360 Dawnguard files, jury-rigging them a bit, and using them with the PC version before.

My work distractions usually entail reading books on my iPod. I've given up on Wheel of Time for now, and am trying my hand at Malazan. It's confusing so far, but I think I like the characters more.

16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Jello, you tiny-minded Imperial twit. Great stuff. Are you having an actual plot or "just" you trying to get away with as much as you can?

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time... actually, I have thought about it very often, ever since I was ten and had my first and best games with my brothers (I was DM). But then their interests shifted, and they couldn't be bothered with all the tables and bonuses (that game had a lot of both. So much that we had to count many throws with calculators). The One Ring seems much faster game with its more abstract battles, but I haven't yet tried it in action. But compared to MERP it wins in how well it portrays the setting (well, to be fair I played a dwarf-mage in MERP so I'm not exactly a person to point out problems with the lore). Hopefully it will get some WEG-worthy sourcebooks.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What do you mean by an actual plot?

The game we played as a demo thing, just to get me used to the system and to see if I'd want to DM one in the future (I decided we should have at least one full 5 person game before I try DMing). The DM came up with a story though he had to tweak it a bit once I bought that absurd comlink (I think that's how it's spelled, the double m looked wrong to me).

As for the character, I mean I basically wanted to play up the character to the fullest. I think in future games I might want to tone it down a bit because it might get old really fast and I don't want to aggravate the other players, but I really do strongly believe in playing characters and just having run rather than maxing out stats and stuff. In the future, if we play more games, I may try branching out to different character archetypes... maybe even a Rebel. Who knows? But I'm definitely going to use this particular character in one real game first, esp. since we spent most of the time trying to figure out how to BUILD the character. Don't want that to all to waste.

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I meant just that, if this game had a story and a mission or if you just tried the system for a session.

By the way, how well does the Saga character creation support characters that fall out from general adventurer types? Star Wars is a very different setting compared to fantasy RPGs, since those usually make it clear that you are an adventurer first, not for example a noble house-owner. But with Star Wars many of the main characters are politicians, so it makes sense to have that noble class.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, the Drowned God is pretty much Cthulhu, right? [face_devil]

blackmyron likes this.
  20. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yep, and a lot of names and minor references in Ironborn culture draw on Lovecraft.

21. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Based on my role-playing experience, you're on the right track here, Jello. It's far more important to focus on the role-playing aspects than the roll-playing. The mechanics and dice are just tools after all. Optimizing your stats are only really necessary if they help to flesh out the role you're trying to play. Not to mention that playing every turn in as tactical of a fashion as you possibly can usually only serves to make all the characters seem like mindless robots. Less is more in this sense.

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Sadly, I don't like Steam, being completely tied to Steam isn't something I am willing do.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh I am sure you can find it in CD-Form as well, Amazon.com for example has the Complete Collection set.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, for fans of Saint's Row and Metro:2013, things are looking a bit grim...

There's some stuff that looks straight out of the Dreamlands stories, including a K'dath, a Leng, a group of ruined cities around a lake that all have names similar to "Sarnoth" (as in "The Doom That Came To") and even the proto-Mythos city of Carcosa, home to good ol' Hastur.

RC-1991 likes this.
  25. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Yay! Someone else moving to the east coast! We need to have a Lit get together.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

Master_Keralys likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.