main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Speaking of Game of Thrones, I just saw Davos Seaworth (Liam Cunningham) play a Russian submarine captain on Doctor Who, and now I can't stop thinking about what an amazing crossover that would be.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well he already is a Smuggler, so pretty close. ;)

3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    When a good man goes to war ... you win, or you die.

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, is that version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" that got posted in the GoT thread the one that was featured in the credits of this week's episode? Because it's flipping sweet (and I squeeed when they sang/played it this week).

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think so. I prefer the sung version, though. I practically cheered when I heard it. My friends -- non-readers, all, this time -- were all like "????" Also Meereenese knot, lololol.

6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Scary scene in Boston this afternoon. Hope everyone is ok.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Typical, I learn about this stuff on TFN. But damn, I know lots of people in the Marathon, so hopefully they're all fine. Same with the people I don't know.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Yeah, seriously, I go off to watch a movie for two hours, and I come back to this.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Facebook's on fire -- heard that the device was loaded up with ball bearings, so effectively like grapeshot. Whoever did this wanted to hurt as many people as possible. Sick.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So's Twitter. Oh, and Youtube can go **** itself.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm sure there are already a bunch of inhumane videos up.

12. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    What happened? I've been in class all day.

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    There were two explosions at the Boston Marathon today. At least 2 dead, nearly 30 injured.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon; two confirmed deaths, dozens injured. Lots of blood.

...and now the stupid comments include those from a "friend" on facebook who insists the best response to this tragedy is to not feel any empathy for the victims because it doesn't help them anyway, and besides it's what the perpetrators want. [face_plain]

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    The hell?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Luckily I'm actually from around Boston, and so are the majority of my facebook friends, so I probably won't see any such comments there.

17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I might be able to make sense of that point of view, if we were talking about mass hysteria or uncontrollable panic and not empathy.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The argument is that: the people responsible want her emotions and her reaction, but they don't deserve it. I asked: I understand the argument that getting attention is what these people want, but don't the victims deserve some thought? I said that there is a cost to letting yourself become inured to suffering Her response was, essentially, that her emotions wouldn't help them, but asking questions and getting something done would, and that besides there are victims suffering from crimes every day and emotions get in the way.

I find that... really hard to stomach. Like, on a deep level. There's a huge value to just caring and being there for people, and in tragedies like this uniting is of inestimable value. I can get the argument that yes, someone needs to do an investigation and find the answers to it but that doesn't solve the problem for those people who have lost loved ones. They need support. And you can't fight evil by just killing it, or arresting it: there have to be people who rebuild and recover, and people who teach our children that this isn't the way.

To hear this kind of thing from someone who's a friend of mine is really sickening to my stomach.

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    So much for that. One of my NY friends seems to think there's a connection between this and Sandy Hook. [face_sigh]

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    To some degree, I think I can understand that. See it often enough, and I can see why someone might eventually prefer to just turn off entirely. I can't imagine someone advocating that approach, but I can see how it would happen on an individual basis.

21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    While I'm normally not one for theorizing, this one's not entirely baseless. The marathon was, from what I've heard, dedicated to the victims, and it seems their families were seated not far from the explosions. Not that I think that's the case, but it's not the usual conspiracy theorist nonsense we're talking about.

Regardless, and more importantly, it's truly unfortunate that they were present for this.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've heard a lot of people say that. I hope it's not the case, but information's going to be totally unreliable right now so there will be a lot of wild speculation running around.

I guess, but that's not the sense I got from that comment, in relation to my response.

Here's the line: "There are victims suffering from horrible crimes every second of every day. For me, emotions get in the way. And the victims will get more from something being done or questions answered than just my empathy."

That's not tuning it out because the world is full of suffering -- that's straight up not caring.

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I guess the important defining factor for me, here, would be whether we're talking about someone who's doing something about it or not. I'd say there's a line between trying to bring about change without getting caught up in it in emotionally, and an unwillingness to care or do anything about it.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't know, Facebook just sometimes brings out the worst aspects of people... and unfortunately, so do tragedies. But, in a lot of cases, the latter also brings out some of the best. (The former, not as much).

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I honestly have to take her side in this one. Maybe because I am an EMT, but I agree that while sympathy and emotional support is very important, but where it will have an effect. Family members, people who know the victims and their family, people who live in the community, they are the ones who are best to provide that sort of love and support. Not someone who heard about it on the news and lives across the country, or simply read about it on the internet. Sure, they can provide sympathies, but personally, I find far more value in these strangers learning a lesson from the tragedy, asking questions and encouraging action, rather than feeling like expressing their sympathies on the internet somewhere is a grand gesture to help the victims.

I agree with you that you need more than stopping evil, you need to promote good. But you need both sides, and neither is wrong. And you should not feel sick, as both yours and her responses are natural reactions to this type of tragedy.

Jedi Ben likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.