main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I never played the first two, and there's little relevant story from them anyway. The Third is honestly one of the most over-the-top, most entertaining games that I have played in the last 5 years.

2. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    instantdeath Saint's Row isn't the most narrative video game series. Everything you need to know is explained at the beginning of the game.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I don't expect it to, but that tendency of mine isn't driven by logic. Still, I don't really have time to play three big open world games, so The Third it is.

In other news, I'm having to cheat rather creatively.

For one of my classes, I had to conduct an interview, in addition to writing a paper. Unfortunately, I waited too long and wasn't able to line an interview up. So now, I'm in the rather awkward position of having to fake an interview. Is it sad I'm actually finding it really fun? It's actually an unorthodox way to practice my writing; I'm having to take special care to give myself and my "interviewee" distinct voices, and I've gone as far as to give my interviewee some particular quirks and frequent word choices. I write quite a bit, but I've never tried to pass something off as a completely natural conversation over text, and certainly never turned it in.

We'll have to see if it's convincing :p Luckily it concerns a topic I know very well (and in many ways despise), the recording industry, so it's very easy to simulate multiple opinions of its inner workings.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm pretty much faking a month's worth of research on native rights in Guatemala. I'm going to talk about Rios Montt (thanks to Coffee, your service to the Malazan Empire has been noted), mention various struggles, then throw in a bunch of peer-reviewed articles as a biblio.

Faking voice sounds fascinating! If you ever become a writer, I imagine that's a great skill to pick up.

Barriss_Coffee and instantdeath like this.
  5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    One thing that should work in my favor is that I've made my low opinion of the recording industry very well known, and I'm having my interviewee understand my frustrations, yet defend it and offer what I consider valid arguments for the industries existence. That should completely throw her off :p

6. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Howard Shore's LOTR soundtracks make great study aids.

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Those things are just fantastic to listen to, period. The Fellowship Theme is perhaps the most heroic piece of music ever :p. Also, it's somewhat subtle use in the "For Frodo" scene in ROTK may be my favorite callback music cue of all time.

Also, May it Be is a ridiculously addicting song.

8. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    "Flaming Red Hair" is an insanely upbeat and addictive song. Although not too helpful when I'm writing a paper. One hundred and eleventh birthdays do NOT mix with paper writing.

And suddenly this paper has shifted to focus on Rios Montt.

EDIT: and dammit, I want to play LEGO Lord of the Rings now.

9. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    How long until there is a Lego game version of every franchise? Maybe we'll get a Mega Bloks Halo some day.

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

11. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Hey kids! Buy Lego A Song of Ice and Fire! Experience classic scenes like the beheading of Eddard Stark and the White Walker assault on the Fist of the First Men, all with that special Lego touch! Pre-order now and unlock the Oberyn Martell and Daario Naharis playable characters! Jaime Lannister's hands are now extra-detachable!

Valin__Kenobi and krtmd like this.
  12. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    nope, and the same goes for all the other AC games. (except the first maybe? i can't recall.) they're sorta infamous for this.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I've never been able to finish the game. It just drags on me - I don't particularly like the protagonist, and I feel like I'm supposed to learn that crime doesn't pay while playing a crime game. Sweet Hastur, a dozen missions to retrieve a stupid bag of diamonds that ends up in the hands of some homeless guy (who somehow manages to become a millionaire rather than be robbed or turned over to the police by whomever he tried to initially sell them to). Your irritating friends that constantly call to play tedious minigames.
    The two DLCs were much better and recaptured some of the spirit of the earlier GTAs.
    Saint's Row 2 is a good place to start moving from GTA IV, although if you play on the PC it's a rather poor port (then again, so was GTA IV).

14. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    Havac You'd think if they're going to insist on giving credit for every person who participated in every version of the game, they might make it optional and with a selection for it in the menu somewhere for those that absolutely need to watch 20 minute credits of a game.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't mind their being nonskippable -- they just don't need to be so long. Or they should do what ACII did, and which I'm disappointed they haven't continued to do, and have interactivity during the credits -- for a long segment of the credits, you were in a fight while the credits played over it. That's the way to do credits. Give us something to latch onto. Video or sound clips at the least, something interactive preferably.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh limping towards the finish line, I see. That's a long and noble tradition. I'm doing something similar with my last final on Friday... so unmotivated to study for it. Spent most of the evening hanging out with my favorite friend out here, and generally took it easy today since I had that other exam. Was originally planning to do a bunch of studying on Thursday, but I decided I'd rather spend more time with my friends esp. since said friend is moving out and that sucks. There's also this party in the evening for an acquaintance that's moving out that I'd like to go to, but I think discretion is the better part of valor there -- going to a party the night before an exam is NOT a good move.

But because of how occupied my schedule is tomorrow, I'm probably not gonna actually be able to study for this exam. Ordinarily that wouldn't be a problem except I have this annoying tendency to want to get As on everything and get disappointed when I don't. Bah!

Why can't I just not study and get an A? It works with Constitutional Law!1!

17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    As long as I receive a passing grade on the paper, I'm satisfied. My test grades in the class should be enough to keep me at a B.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I have my first finals on Monday, though I do have one final project due today. Yup, senior year's winding down, alright.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Senior year? You graduating soon, Todd?

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yup, the 23rd, though the entire university graduation is the 22nd, at Yankee stadium, no less!

RC-1991 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Awesome! [face_party]

I'll save the full "congratulations" spiel for closer to the time. I didn't realize you were this close.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

Feels, you guys.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
  24. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So, minus a few perfunctory finals next week, I have completed the most research-intensive semester of my life.

[face_party]

Trip and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Disliked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.