main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Don't congratulate me yet! I still have my senior year to get through. But professors keep taking me aside and giving me real serious talks telling me that I need know where I want to apply by the time the next semester starts and to have applied to them by December. It's a bit overwhelming to think about, especially since I want to go for a doctorate.

I agree with you about going from high school to undergrad. It felt very mechanical. I love where I'm going right now, but I wish I had looked at a few other places as well and known a bit more about what the History professors covered since there are some serious gaps. I was pretty shocked when I found out that we didn't have a modern European historian and that the University wouldn't give the department money to hire anyone (but the engineering department got two new buildings!).

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    With undergrad I looked at location, quality of the program, and cost as my parents were willing to pay X amount. With grad school I actually didn't look at as many schools. But I had a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old at the time and "flexible options" was a top consideration.

With PhD/DLIS programs I'm looking at which area is the school's primary focus and whether they'd accept research in any of my areas of interest.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm just gonna be honest and admit I don't know how you people with families survive in grad school. It's gotta be like running a marathon with 100-lb weights attached to your limbs.

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Sounds like you're at roughly the same point as me. My history prof told me to look into doing a post-bach program at UPenn, since WVU's Latin and Ancient History courses are sparse, and Greek is nonexistent there. I'm pretty much going to delay seriously looking into grad schools for at least a year after I graduate.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is my post-grad experience:

Uli: Oh, I'm graduating. What the devil do I do, now? I know, I'll see if I can stick around to do an MA.
    Tutor: Oh, hello Uli.
    Uli: Hello tutor. Can I stick around for another year and do an MA?
    Tutor: Sure thing.
    Uli: Cool.

Later...

Tutor: Hey, do you want to stick around and do a PhD?
    Uli: NO!
    Tutor: Well, what else are you going to do?
    Uli: I'm sure I'll think of something.

Much later...

Uli: ... darn.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That's exactly what I am saying, but I don't believe that is the case with Steam.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Alright, based on some feedback from my Mod-in-Arms Ulicus, I have decided to try out less naval and more, well Ackbar colors. :p

Thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just got back from watching Gatsby -- 'twas fantastic! Hugely enjoyed it -- and not just for Carey Mulligan, of whose work I am always fond.

RC-1991

Penn's a nice campus. Ugly as hell (unless you're into that barbaric Gothic stuff) but quite nice. And they'll definitely have a finer grad program. Definitely apply.

I liked this post from my phone, but after looking at them -- yes, much better. Fine choice! Unique, too.

It is almost (but not quite) the reverse of my tyrian purple and gold, too. :p

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Which colors are you using?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He's using a gold border, dark red font, and ivory background. Just look at the HTML source.

11. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Hmm, it just occurred to me that Lit seems to attract quite a few History and history related majors / grad students. I wonder why?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where a good Renaissance grad program is?

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's too much work.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_ROME_II_Collector's_Edition

The game comes in a Steel Box with your Order Numer in Roman Numerals etched on it
    A Tabula game set
    A Tesserae Dice
    A Total War Cards Game
    A Canvas Map of the Campaign
    A working model of a Roman Siege Catapult (26cm x 12cm x 12cm) to defend and expand your glorious working space :D
    The Pre Order DLC
    and of course a Copy of Rome Total War II

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    179.99 (including shipping) ????????? That set sounds awesome, but seriously?

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    You stole my colors!

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    FIGHT!!!

Ulicus likes this.
  17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Pretty Tame for a CE actually ;) though yeah not going to get it either, as the stuff just sits around and eventfully gets lost anyway. They will just have to get my money through DLC stuff.

18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The_Forgotten_Jedi - If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that quite a few lit authors- particularly ones who write the secondary and tertiary sources- draw a lot on history and historiographical methods. Birds of a feather and all that. I view how jasonfry and Dan Wallace wrote the Atlas as them utilizing the novels and comics and such the way that historians use primary sources and archaeological data. And then there's the interpretation of the EU as being a bunch of in-universe sources.

Gorefiend, Jello- Holy Iuppiter Optimus Maximus that's hella pricy. I was expecting something like $90, not $180. That's insanely out of my price range :(

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, but his match his icon. So he wins. :p

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My masters is in library science. I figure I'm in the right place. :p

One thing I really enjoyed when I wrote fan fic was researching the GFFA on Wook.

Barriss_Coffee : I learned to function on very little sleep. I'm sure my professors wondered why I was always posting to Moodle at 1 am. :p. If I had been smart I would have gone to grad school straight from undergrad but the other side is that I think seeing me graduate was a good experience for my kids.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The real question is, for anyone continuing study is, do you like what you see of Academia?

Doing the MA convinced me that academia wasn't for me, didn't like what I saw at the higher levels of it.

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, that's what the "NO!" represented. Swanning around pretending to be intellectual was lovely... but, in the end, that's just not who I am.

Still, it was useful. I messed up my final year of undergrad something fierce and the very good result I got for the MA rectified that. At least on paper.

Not that I've done anything with it. :p

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    :oops::oops::oops:

I totally didn't think of that! Damned Uli, in his efforts to sow dissent among the citizens of the Litpublic, tricked me into switching to Ackbar colors. He is an enemy of the state and we should deal with him to the full extent of the law. :p

Seriously though, I can change them if you like. Or let Uli convince you to use Imperial grey & red to match your icon... [face_thinking]

--Adm. Nick

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It's cool, I'll change it to something more Baron Fel appropriate soon.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I just think everyone should use Havac's colors.

CooperTFN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.