main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello today's Doctor Who has a space Empire with Roman trappings. You should tune in. :p

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, for all we likely disagree on matters SW, good luck in the job market. It's gotten down-right vicious!

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think.... I think I'm leaning towards the regular edition of RTW myself, too. As awesome as that swag is, it doesn't nearly justify the astronomical price. Moreover, I'm never going to use it.

Steel box? Great -- but I think video game boxes are annoying. Replica onager? What'll I do with that? Total War Card game? Neat I guess, but I don't play those kind of games regularly. The Roman backgammon and dice are the only things I'd want... and I don't think I'm willing to pay an extra $120 for them. Especially since they'll just be plastic.

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I can always use another map on my walls- Vvardenfell, Cyrodiil, the Shivering Isles, Skyrim, Westeros, Middle-Earth, Scotland, and OoT-era Hyrule are feeling a little lonely at the moment- but that is just an insane price.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I've never been a map junkie. Every time I read a fantasy book, I commit what many consider to be an unforgivable sin; I skip over the maps. Or I look at them briefly, but not for what you might think. I love maps as artwork, but not so much as an informational tool.

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Wow, those child actors on tonight's Doctor Who were the absolute worst. Rest of the episode was great though.

Ulicus likes this.
  7. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Dead to me.

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I had a thought on mod colors.

Go stealth and don't color your name. That way no one will see the lock coming until it's too late.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    But remember how cloaking works in Star Wars? If the offenders can't see the mods, the mods can't see the offenders either. Best they can do is turn on a computer and start banning at random, hoping to get the target.

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    One has to admit, sometimes the results can be amusing.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If you want a map of the Roman Empire, get a decent one and not some silly video-game tie in. For instance, something like this.... http://www.unrv.com/roman-map-for-sale.php

blackmyron likes this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What, you're posting on the STAR WARS message board and you don't have any STAR WARS maps on your wall? Shame on you! Currently I've got the Tion Cluster, Grumani Sector, and the Outer and Mid Rim maps on the wall - sadly, I haven't printed the Expansion Region yet.
    Recent awesome map purchases - Beautiful signed maps from the Lone Wolf gamebook series; the Game of Thrones map set.
    I wish I could get a map of Middle-Earth, but the only one that is ever available is that horribly inaccurate one that labels the River Adorn as Swanfleet. SWANFLEET IS A SWAMP, NOT A RIVER AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THERE, but that's the map they used in the movies, so that's the map that gets published.
    I can say, truthfully and with absolutely no hyperbole, you are the worst person ever.

Barriss_Coffee and RC-1991 like this.
  13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Want.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I have the John Howe map collection with maps from The Hobbit, LotR, Beleriand and Númenor. I currently have the Beleriand map on my wall, it was very useful when I read the Silmarillion. I'd like some big map of the ASOIAF world. While the maps in the books are beautiful in their simplicity, they lack many towns and castles. I had to look for a big map from the Internet and found one that is 5480 x 3664 and includes Essos. I use that now when the books mention Ashemark or the Crag or one of the Free Cities.

And talking about the books, a little commentary about A Clash of Kings:

- King Renly is dead, and Edmure Tully's troops have just defeated Lord Tywin's army. But one thing at a time.
    - Currently I have one scene from the book that I would have liked to see and wonder why it was cut: Tyrion poisoning Cersei, ruling from the Iron Throne and having a talk with ser Allison Thorne. Besides it being totally awesome, that scene would have closed the side plot Old Bear opened in the first season's finale.
    - Renly's gayness is never said openly, but Stannis hints at it, and Renly wants ser Loras to "help him pray" in his tent the night before the battle. It must be a well-kept secret since no one ever mentions it in the novel. Curiously, it is hinted that Xaro Xhoan Daxos is gay as well. He could be, but it doesn't matter in the long run.
    - I have trouble imagining Stannis wearing a crown now. I can't see him wanting any other crown than the one that is his by right. He is a square peg. He only goes into a square hole.
    - Storm's End would have been cool to see, but I can see why it had to be cut. And I like that the Mother of Shadows scenes were compiled into one. When Melisandre isn't a conveyor belt for the shadows she is more terrifying.
    - Now don't tell me Tywin is not going to have discussions with Arya. How can Martin not have seen that he is going to be played by Charles Dance? A bald man with whiskers... seriously?
    - Now that I have figured out that Samwell is me without the tragic backstory, I am all the more worried about him. He will not be left at a good place.
    - A long time ago the Riverlands were nonexistent under the rule of Iron Islanders, then they were almost destroyed by the Lannisters, and now they have been cut from the show. And I just may picture Edmure as Percy Weasley, so their embarrassment is now complete.
    - My imagining skills have been at full speed. What does Ser Courtnay Penrose look like? Courtnay, court...nay, old, a little stooped, big feet. What about Benfred Tallhart? Benfred makes him a little shorter than normal and clunky-looking, but Tallhart makes him stand in his full height all the time. Jalabhar Xho? Lady Tanda and her daughter? Ser Jacelyn Bywater? Ser Horas and Ser Hobber Redwyne? Alester Florent? Keep imagining, the names just keep coming.

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    At some point I'd like to take my Atlas to some print shop and get them to ignore copyright laws long enough for me to print off a post-sized version of the galaxy map. As for Middle-Earth, I actually have two- the gold leaf one that was released for the movies, and this full-color one that came with the Battle For Middle-Earth strategy guide.

Jello, I'll have to look into that map once I have some disposable income.

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I have no maps of any kind on my wall. Just lame hipsteresque cityscape pictures and the framed, dead fly covered license plate of a van that broke down in the middle of Australia.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    In the old days, my bedroom at my folks house was covered in maps. I loved National Geographic maps especially. I also had a map of the Star Wars galaxy. That cool full color one from an issue of Insider. IIRC, that map came out during the height of the NJO, so I used to love to stare at that thing and imagine the battle lines.

Ironically, for being such a huge Star Wars fan, I had very little visible SW stuff, short of the books on my bookshelf. Back in those days, my walls were covered with historical, patriotic, and military stuff.

--Adm. Nick

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I have nothing on my walls.

instantdeath likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I have a crack on my wall.

HOLY ****!!!

Ulicus likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Not technically a map, but I do have a huge 3x5 satellite photo of Manhattan that I stitched together from Mapquest images like ten years ago.

Gorefiend likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

At least it's smiling! :)

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I have various Luis Royo posters... [face_whistling]

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    My walls are bare as well. I don't have any paintings, pictures, plants or knick-knacks in my home. I've always been austere, even as a kid.

If I could find a way to never have guests over my place without it being detrimental to my life, I probably wouldn't have furniture, either.

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I've been thinking of getting rid of the furniture, too. Never have any guests, so I wouldn't even have to worry about that.

Gorefiend and CT-867-5309 like this.
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You're living the dream.

CooperTFN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.