main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I can pretty much see Trip weirded out by the concept of people actually enjoying themselves :p

2. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    its creepy : (

i did have fun at sea world once when i was a kid though, mostly because i got to pet shamu. (and feed him a fish! i think. i was like six so i could be misremembering.)

ofc years later it occurred to me how monstrous the entire situation is but at the time it was pretty rad. albeit slightly disappointing.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Nope. Four or five kids by the time you're in your thirties is fairly standard, though.

In vanilla, your wife almost ALWAYS pops out one last kid at forty, too. So if she's got good stats, and you'd otherwise like to keep her around, I'd hold off on divorce until she's hit 42 or so.

And, yeah, a sixteen year old wife will guarantee you a few more kids.

This is rarely an option, for me. Unless I'm basque, or something, I consider matrilineal marriages to be off the table. House rules are fun!

instantdeath likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, well, I always play the imperial house, so what we say goes and people will marry into our house and LIKE it :p

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I can agree with the creepiness aspect of Disneyworld. For me, it feels like I'm just walking around a giant corporate machine. Really breaks the illusion of people walking around in Goofey outfits.

I'd love to do that, but everyone in my realm would get pissed :(

But I'll probably do it anyway. I'd certainly feel safer, and my daughters are showing great promise.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I adored Euro Disney when I was five or six years old. I spent, like, a good half an hour hugging the dude in the Winnie the Pooh suit. Mainly because I thought he was the real Winnie the Pooh, and I freakin' LOVED Winnie the Pooh.

In retrospect, I feel sorry for the poor frenchman. Probably freaked him out.

Point Given likes this.
  7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So the Boy Scouts lifted their ban on gay youth yesterday. They did so in a half-assed manner, and without lifting the ban on gay adults, but they did lift the gay youth ban.

Now if they could just lift the atheist ban I'd be happy. Baby steps.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    "Okay kid, you can be a Scout but as soon as you hit 18 you can't have anything to do with us because you're gay."

RC-1991 and instantdeath like this.
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Boy Scouts have an atheist ban? That's hilarious. I'm not sure it's chemically possible to be as lame as the boy scouts.

10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Pretty much. Like I said, it was done in the most half-assed manner possible.

ID, Scouting *is* fun. The atheist ban is hilarious for how easy it is to get around it. Half of my co-workers at camp were quietly atheists, and I just passed myself off as a "Jedi". I think I might go with Sheogorath worshipper this year.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Is it Christian only, or is there just some rule about how you have to worship some entity in the sky or another? I call Pan, the Goat God.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    You just have to worship something. I know at least one active neo-Pagan in the Scouts, for example.

... I totally call the Malazan pantheon.

Sent via Mojave Courier service

instantdeath likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As a former Eagle Scout, I recall a lot of bland deistic lip service, but nothing explicitly Christ-oriented. Suffice it to say I'd developed into an avowed atheist well before earning Eagle and it never got in my way. On the gay thing, they seem to be saying "oh, you're gay, son? No problem, c'mon in--we'll straighten that right out."

Unrelated: Trip, I approve of your Poots. It's nice to log in here and see something more pleasing to the eyes than eyeball tuxedos and Skeletor.

14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    hahah i can't believe you recognized who that is. have you seen the movie it's from?

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Didn't know you were a fellow Eagle, Coop.

I think that enforcement varies a lot from council to council. Religion did come up in a few of my boards of review, though at that point I could still pass myself off as Catholic.

CooperTFN likes this.
  16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I would keep the old gods. Thor, Odin, Väinämöinen, Eru, the lot.

Speaking of this sort of things, I have spent 40 hours this week drawing lines to sand with a rake. Yes, I have the coolest job. Here are some examples:

[​IMG]
    We can use our own imagination when drawing these. As fun as it would be to draw a star destroyer, I have refrained from doing so, and generally keep away from portraying anything particular. Usually it's circles and waves. You know, generally symbolic stuff.

[​IMG]
    This was cool to do, and notice that there are seven squares, because seven is the most magical number. All this needs now is a sign "Please do not walk here"

[​IMG]
    In this one I played with the "general symbolism". There's the cup, which can mean many things, like the Holy Grail, the background symbol is the infinity sign , and together they form a flower or a tree. "Eternal life" was what I was going for.

(At this point I must say that our art history lessons were mainly about knowing the differences between Baroque and Romanticism and Doric and Ionic columns, so I'm pulling this from my pockets)

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Nah, I cheated--Googled it.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  18. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    oh. that is cheating! i thought for a second you were one of the other fifteen people who have actually seen Centurion.

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Is it worth seeing? Aside from Poots, I mean?

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    If your into such stuff it is all right, nothing practically great, especially the gratuitous violence dragged it down for me.

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    That reminds me, I've been watching the Spartacus series. It's like they took 300's design ethic and did it with Romans, and giggled at the notion of historical accuracy (THEY DIDN'T WEAR LORICA SEGMENTATA AT THAT TIME AAAAAAARRRGGHH)

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know what I want more than anything now? A video that splices together some of Ian Mcdiarmid's scenes from Star Wars with his scenes from Dragonslayer to make it look like Plapatine is fighting the dragon.

Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Taking my first foray into the WEG world with the Dark Empire Sourcebook. Great stuff. Except the funny numbers mean nothing to me. Though I do know that Admiral Ackbar gets a dexterity bonus in moist environments. Sweeet.

Though I'm pretty surprised it gets such a ringing endorsement from Jello, since the first page after the prologue is some pretty heavy Rebel propaganda :p. Though I suppose you could argue that it is there for historical value.

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    On Boy Scouts--I have mixed feelings. I think they do some really cool outdoor-type stuff, but their conservative/religious stances is something I've had a hard time getting past, even as I know Scouts who are not conservative/religious types. I have not really considered it for my boys even though their father was a Scout and has wanted to at least look into troops. Supposedly the individual troop makes a difference?

Plus I don't want to sell popcorn. [/lazy]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, yes, it's a work of Rebel propaganda. That said, it's one of our best primary sources for the fall of the Empire. It -- like the X-wing comics -- actually addresses what went on at Court after Endor, and it puts Thrawn in his place. It's one of the few sources to focus on Imperial high politics and court intrigue, and consequently it's a favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.