main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Cartoons I consider worth watching
    Futurama
    Archer
    Venture Brothers
    MLP:FiM
    Robot Chicken gets an honorable mention.

Only 12 hours to go before Civ V Brave New World is out to play!

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Should they ever get around to making another television series, I hope they go with something more like this.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That Tron cartoon was great, too. Pity it was cancelled.

I'm mainly curious as to whether they'd set a new television show in the original universe, or the movie!verse.

4. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I can't really see them doing the movieverse, considering how underdeveloped it is compared to the preexisting material, but I'd certainly expect them to take certain elements from it (ship and bridge design, the more advanced-looking technology, and so forth).

5. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Hm. TBH, that's a large part of why I can see them being more keen on the movie!verse. It would offer them a cleaner slate.

6. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Perhaps, but then they'd also be constricted by any plans made for future movies. Especially if, say, they wanted to do something significant like set about reintroducing the Borg.

7. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Fair point, yeah.

8. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    TBH, I'm not sure if there will be another TV series; Enterprise was rather a fiasco and apparently TV and movies rights are split between Paramount and CBS so trying for a show with the Rebootverse crew would have serious hurdles.

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I suppose they could always do a halfway measure - set a new series in a broad strokes version of the original continuity. It's not like they don't already have more parallel universes and alternate past/present/futures than anyone can count.

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The BBC should just do a Star Trek rip-off set in the Whoniverse.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  11. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Make it so.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I just cannae do it.

13. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Still can't believe that both CBS and Paramount were being so boneheaded that the AST novels set to come out after ST09 are still in limbo after four years with no chance of them ever seeing daylight. I mean, would it really have caused that much confusion to have books set in the prime timeline with the TOS crew still being written while new books with the AST crew were being written as well? I think they could have found some way to differentiate between PUTOS and AST books without difficulty, and if consumers didn't pay attention and picked up a AST book in mistake for a PUTOS book or vice versa, then it's their own fault.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/16/how-rights-issues-killed-a-new-star-trek-tv-show

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Funny, that's exactly what my son just said to me.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Gonna make it a Hannibal crossover too huh?

jSarek likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hey, I understood that joke!

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    For any UK Litzens (as I can't find the thread), Forbidden Planet isn't stocking Crucible but Ebay has some. Waterstones gets it in August...

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I have to wait 4 more days [face_bleh]

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Edit: Whoops wrong thread

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You know, as a fan of the non-Abrams timeline, this actually makes me happy. I want more Star Trek on TV, but NOT THE ABRAMSVERSE. I want the prime timeline, not the damned reboot timeline. Christ, at least in the prime timeline, the Federation is still an entity to admire and root for. While Star Wars is always nearest to my heart, ST is a close second. Hell, the very concept that former adversaries/rivals such as Earth, Vulcan, Andor, and Tellar could set aside their differences and form a galactic union is still one of my favorite stories ever. Period.

--Adm. Nick

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Each to his own. The only aspect of the prime universe that I really love is TNG, though TOS, VOY, and DS9 are decent too, and I absolutely enjoy TWOK and TSFS. Maybe its because I grew up watching TNG on TV, but I've always had more fondness for it than TOS or the others.

The Abrams movies are good, IMO. My parents like both TOS and the AST movies, so for some at least it's not a case of one or the other.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, if I were one of those marketing suits, I would think the best option would be to make it ambiguous. Set it around a new ship, a new captain, one that could exist in either universe. That said, I'm not much of a Star Trek aficionado, so there may be some core differences in the universes that just can't be ignored, I'm not sure (the one I could imagine would be the destruction of Vulcan).

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Why a rip off?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jSarek and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    CooperTFN AdmiralNick22 and anybody else who has taste and plays flight sims...

I've decided to use my breaks from studying to de-stress with a "guts and glory" playthrough of XWA -- basically go for any and every possible bonus objective and stay absurdly long after missions are over in hopes of trying to kill everything.

In so doing I've:
    -- cleared out an entire Imperial starfighter factory, including cargo containers, storage units, and the TIE Defenders they sent to defend it (B-wing)
    -- tried to solo an Imperial-II Star Destroyer only to be driven off by the TIE Avengers that showed up when its shields were down (B-wing)
    -- gotten possessed with madness and solo'd an Imperial-II Star Destroyer (Y-wing)
    -- stayed in the Kuat system after a mission was finished to try to take out an entire ISD-II's fighter and interceptor complement myself (every time I killed an interceptor, seems like they sent out four more!), only to flee when the TIE Avengers showed up... but then to change my mind and fly back in to take them out. But then after they sent out another flight of Avengers, more interceptors, AND missile-armed bombers I took a look at my already high mission score and decided not to risk it in futile gallantry and headed back home.

...not that a Rebel could possibly be gallant, but since it's me we're talking about I'll allow it.

'course, flying missions as brief study interludes is not effective when I'm making the missions last a good ten to twenty minutes longer than they're supposed to :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.