main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I dance at funerals. And on graves.

jSarek likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh gee, in California. Go figure. [face_sigh]

Zeta1127 and Point Given like this.
  3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Home of Disneyland. Of course.

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Shut up, we are going to have a dance party.
    [​IMG]

It's the Lit way to cope with the unknown future.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Another west coast celebration? :(

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    For physics qualifier, you would receive uplifting encouragement such as "Oh, most people usually fail it the first time".

Not to mention seeing people coming out of the room crying, or curling up in the fetal position.

(In all fairness, the main reason was the verbal portion, which you had to solve a problem in front of three physics professors. In general, they were fairly supportive and gave hints if you got stuck, but some of the grad students were geniuses with science but couldn't take working under pressure in front of people, even if they were people they saw every day.)

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not at all convenient for me either, but the past two have been in Orlando; it makes sense that this one would be in Anaheim.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    About flippin' time -- I've wanted one in Anaheim almost a decade now. At least this one is super easy to go to -- I could walk to it from my parents' place.

blackmyron -- the passage rate is 74% for my state, so it's not that people usually fail it -- but it's a high enough number that I worry that I could be among that number, especially as ill-prepared as I feel. But I'm told that everyone feels ill-prepared and my scores on practice things are supposedly above average, so who knows.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    And yet another Celebration I will almost certainly be unable to attend. The coasts are fine and all, but just too far away for me to make it out to from the Midwest.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Duuuude, it's like a couple of hours away by plane, max! Sell your horse and buggy already!

jSarek and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't have a job and, therefore, definitely don't have the money to fly anywhere.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good luck Jello. :)

I missed C3 because I was at a waddling-level of pregnant and I missed C4 because I had a newborn; my only excuse for missing C5 and C6 was not being able to get my act together. With this amount of notice I don't have that reason. Determined to make it this time.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, you should come. They're always a blast.

Zeta, psh. You have almost two years' notice. If you start walking now, you'll surely make it in time!

Zeta1127 likes this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah, you'll be fine. From what a friend of mine (who has a successful personal practice) told me, in general those who fail the exam are those who consider the exam a formality to making lots of money and don't want to be bothered with having to study or something... in which case, they just keep taking it until they pass.

And as far as physics goes, the secret is... you can do a dissertation instead. Since the purpose to be a physicist is to write research papers I was never sure why you would want to do any other option.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I'll definitely attempt to go. In the meantime, I'll enjoy all the nice conventions we have up here in New England and NYC. :D

Point Given likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, good. While I've been slower with studying than I'd like (I blame *you* lot for the distraction!), I've at least studied all the subjects at least once and will be reviewing hard these next couple of days... suppose it's just more the fact that I'm not sure what to expect, I guess.

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have never taken much stock in standardized tests, because they never give you enough time to demonstrate your knowledge of the material. I was an A and B student in high school, but I got a 22 on my first ACT and 23 on my second one.

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    If I can raise the money (big 'if', considering what post-bach will probably cost me), I will do my best to attend.

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    In a way, I think they can warp the entire learning process rather badly, when you're trying to pass the test rather than fully comprehend the material (and that's not even getting into how poorly it prepares you to actually use that information: work very rarely comes in the form of a hundred and twenty multiple choice and short essay questions). It's a highly artificial, one-size-should-fit-all approach.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I historically do pretty well on standardized tests -- which, for the most part, don't actually require studying, but just reasoning through questions and things. ACT, SATIIs, even the LSAT (though I did have to review two weeks before that one -- I took it blind before, and that was NOT wise -- unlike other standardized tests). The problem is that they determine so much so, as LI says, people start teaching to the test -- but if the test doesn't actually measure substantive knowledge, all you're learning how to do is how to take a test... and bam, there's the problem with standardized testing.

The bar exam is different in that you actually have to know things -- you have to know all the things. Even the multiple choice questions will test different nuances of different exceptions, and you can have a fact pattern for a single question that's half a sheet of paper. Given you're supposed to spend a minute and change per question, it's rough.

Of course it's still artificial, as LI notes, because the bar exam requires you to memorize, cram, and if you don't know the rule for an essay answer, you make one up and shoot from the hip. In real life, you wouldn't be allowed to get away with not doing any research for a question and shooting from the hip... that's called malpractice!

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Now that my complaining about the lack of Northeast representation is done (seriously, we have New York, Washington, Boston and Philly (ugh) here!) I'll definitely be going, no doubt about it. Of course it's also helpful that my aunt and her wife live in Anaheim.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Now that it's Disney-owned, I doubt that there will ever be one not in Anaheim or Orlando.

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    As a Californian, I am certainly among the "Woot!" camp about the location.

Wait ... they're selling tickets nearly two years in advance? The hell?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I know, right? Usually I wouldn't bother to get them until 6 months before the event. But now I suddenly feel panicked thinking they're going to run out way ahead of time. Well played, crafty Disney marketers. Well played.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.