main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My best friend in high school had a term for hipster-ism before the term "hipster" was ever coined. He called it "conforming to nonconformity."

*shrug* I'm not sure I understand the phenomenon of taking into account what other people like before deciding to like or dislike something, especially when it comes to entertainment..

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    hip to the ham fo shizz
    [​IMG]

....yeah and I wouldn't drink out of that.

Ulicus and s65horsey like this.
  3. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    yeah i pretty much feel this way about Avatar: The Last Airbender myself

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah but the difference is that's stupid. Go watch it right now.

They don't bother me so much because they're not insisting that they're special.

Yeah, that's definitely true. Film and TV are playing a huge part in that: some of the greatest films and TV shows are also tremendously popular, and certainly well-known. That's probably true of music to a certain extent, although I must confess ignorance on that score.

That said, even in those media, there's a lot of highly popular dross out there. I just saw Transformers for the first time while bored in a hotel room, and I just couldn't believe how terrible it was. I thought it was a parody at first.

instantdeath likes this.
  5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I've said this before, but Transformers 2 has the dubious honor of being the only movie to ever make me fall asleep. And I was in a theater. If two hours of loud explosions on blaring surround sound speaker is putting you to sleep, you really have a problem.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel like I'd have walked out if I'd seen it in a theater. Seeing it in a place where my friends and I could loudly comment or express disbelief at how bad everything was, however, actually made it a somewhat tolerable experience.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    They insist that nothing is special, but they're at least honest about it. It's a cultural version of anti-intellectualism, and they can't accept anyone liking something they don't unless they're being contrary 'hipsters' - something that bothers me to no end. Actual hipsters I find mildly irritating, but they're more about snobbery than bullying.

The very reason that MST3K and Rifftrax exists.

9. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    no you cant make me

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Jello, if you're going to tell Trip to watch Avatar, then you have to watch Breaking Bad.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I have all of the Transformers movies on my to-see list, but only for the purpose of seeing how bad they are. I love a good bad movie (I watched The Last Airbender - the Shamamalama movie, not the cartoon, with two younger brothers and mocked it non-stop through its entire length) and I also love Transformers, so I'll watch them and be extra mad, too mad to really get bored. Who knows? I might even drink, which is something I never do, not even at sporting events.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've already seen the first few episodes of Breaking Bad. So there. Now go make him watch Avatar. You have no excuses.

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Her.

Trip likes this.
  14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    When you do, make sure to watch it in a high-def format, and add "to marvel at the special effects" to your purposes. Michael Bay is a terrible director, but even his hackery can't take away the giddy awe that comes from that first scene where you watch a helicopter disassemble itself and rebuild itself as a robot, or the ones that follow. Add in the nostalgic salt of Peter Cullen reprising his role as Optimus Prime and the original transforming noise underlying the transformations, and you wind up with something watchable, though never good.

The second movie sucks so bad that, despite still having the above elements, it's just plain NOT watchable. I never watched the third movie, on account of the second; hearsay tells it's an improvement over its predecessor, but I haven't taken the risk to learn for myself.

tjace likes this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    One of the things that irritated me about the original Bay film was, like, they made a huge deal about how "mass-shifting" transformations were dumb, so there'd be no Soundwave becoming a tape player, or whatever.....

... and then had the bloody cube thing mass shift at the end.

DAMMIT.

Strongly agree.

tjace likes this.
  17. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Speaking of Bay ... anyone seen Pain & Gain?

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Loads of people have seen it by now, I'm sure.

19. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I hope loads of people have seen it, because I don't think cats would comprehend it...

Unless they were the Thunder variety of said species...

jSarek likes this.
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ho, ho, hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

jSarek and Bib Fartuna like this.
  21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    We have Kenobi. Repeat: We have Kenobi.

We also have the first KOTOR Omnibus, so we are not sure how the package could contain so much JJM and not leak awesome on the floor.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I did, it is actually surprisingly enjoyable for a Micheal Bay movie starring Mark Wahlberg.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "We"? Oh dear, are the voices back?

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, answer the nice gentleman.

No sir.

There, nothing to worry about.

RC-1991 likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

New to Assassin's Creed: shark jumping minigame!

Also, a ten-minute gameplay video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.