main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I hear it's terrible.

The Grauniad said so. So it must be true.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In my circles I've always heard way more about Poor Unfortunate Souls--but then, I've been to a lot of drag shows.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I always hated Ursula, but then I can't trust squids and octopodes.

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Ah just needs a little patching (Beta Patch fixed a lot of things on my PC) and you might need to set your PC to some odd resolutions for it to work fine. :)

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Edit: Second thought, best to let that go.

So, on the topic of Disney Songs...I have to say, Strangers like Me has always been my favorite.

Nice to have a song about learning and exploration instead of the usual themes.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, I haven't seen most of the classic Disney movies since I was a kid. I imagine I'd have a much different take on them now. I do have all my old VHSs. [face_whistling]

The one Disney song that's popular no matter who I'm with is I'll Make a Man Out of You from Mulan. It's just that awesome. I also knew a guy who could do Under the Sea perfectly.

As for non-Disney animated musicals, The Prince of Egypt had some top notch music. Playing With the Big Boys is a great villain song, especially since it's ****ing Steve Martin and Martin Short. :D

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I know all the words to Kiss the Girl......... but in Spanish. We had to sing that stupid song for that class, and the Spanish lyrics have never left me. I guess I rehearsed better than I thought.

jSarek and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Well I somehow missed it :mad:

I guess the obvious question is if it lives up to the first game? I enjoyed Shogun II, but didn't like it as much as the first Rome.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was watching it last year on youtube and was so disturbed. Similar to the Pink Elephants scene in Dumbo. My thought after watching that for the first time since I was younger was 'I used to watch this stuff?' That is scary. Be Prepared, Hellfire, Prince Ali reprise (man that was brilliant of Jafar) are amazing.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If we're discussing the disturbed and wacked side of Disney, the whole plot of 101 Dalmatians is... really bothersome... in retrospect. The song doesn't really convey the point enough, alas.

Also... those pink elephants... kids' cartoons really didn't shy away from the alcohol theme in those days. Bizarre.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's because alcohol was just a thing that made some adults silly sometimes, and drunkards were harmless figures of fun!

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Have you all ever watched the drug-enhanced visual that is Yo Gabba Gabba?

Holy hell. Pink Floyd's "The Wall" looks tame now.

krtmd likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    World of Color is still the best use of Disney music ever:

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Off the topic of Disney music for a minute (although it's always good to come back to :p ), this happened at work today:

A first-grader looked at some of the thicker books in my fiction collection and said, "Are those grown-up books?"

Me: "Older kids read them."

Him: "I'll bet people die in those books."

I thought about telling him that I don't have the NJO in the library. But I do have Harry Potter so, yeah, he's right. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Was that supposed to be a complaint with regard to the books he has to read?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, I don't assign him books. I let the kids check out what they're interested in reading.

I thought it was funny, although in a sad way, that he thought "grown up books" meant "books where someone dies."

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Except to relate back to Disney, people die all the time in Disney cartoons -- especially parents!

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    True. I had a harder time with the idea of my kids watching Bambi than I did with the idea of watching many PG-13 movies.

20. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Disney animated films do not even come close to disturbing. As much as I loved growing up on films like The Brave Little Toaster and The Secret of NIMH, if I ever have kids I'd rather they watch Bambi.

EDIT: As for favorite songs, if Pixar counts, then I'm all for "You've Got a Friend in Me". Gets me every time.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think he's confusing 'books' with 'cartoon shows'.

Although Adventure Time death is around every corner. Makes up for the 100+ Hanna Barbera 70s cartoons, where you just wish they would die.

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I watched the Brave Little Toaster when I was about five or six, in my cartoon phase after movies like Aladdin hit video. I didn't have a cartoon phase for much longer. It scarred me even more than Pinocchio did. That clown. That demon clown.

My favorite animated movie from that period, though, is still The Land Before Time. It still makes me cry like a little baby.

23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

It's not as good as Rome I with mods, i.e. Europa Barbarorum. It's pretty buggy, but still a solid game. That being said, I do have some complaints with it.

I think that patches and the mod community will take care of the lion's share of the issues, of course. Empire was just as buggy on release.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The rage being directed at it is sort of extreme, probably borne of unreasonable expectations and foggy memory over just how godawful unmodded RTW was.

Aside from some headscratching decisions (some of which can be reversed with mods) such as lack of family trees and one turn-per-year gameplay, it's great. More subtle, nuanced, and generally more historical (though with blips here and there).

25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Election Day in Australia. Ron Burgundy's opinion piece:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.