main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  3. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  5. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    my God man, that relic has only one blade

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    But it can make calls all across the galaxy!

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn, you people know how to make me feel young after a busy day at work.

This was my first cell phone.

[​IMG]

krtmd likes this.
  9. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    What a brick!

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Me too anakinfansince1983. My college roommate worked for Cellular One, and got me a deal on it.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It sat on the passenger side floor of my 1994 Toyota Tercel, and took up about half of said floor.

My monthly plan included 30 minutes of talk, and if you went over your minutes, the phone company wanted a lap dance for each additional minute.

jSarek and krtmd like this.
  12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My roommate had a much smaller model, but she had to have a signal booster installed under the car and one of those antennas on the roof. Now I'm really dating myself.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I, uh, remember dial up. That sure sucked didn't it?

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Very much so. I had it until 2003.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I got my first cell phone this year. Ever.

I hate cell phones.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

17. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    I used to be the same way.

Then I went off to university with one.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't wrap my brain around dislike of technology.

I'll be 42 in December, and I've seen so many Internet posts from people my age or so about "we played outside/it was better when we didn't have cell phones/we talked to each other in person instead of texting/etc.". Personally I think the world is better now, and I wouldn't want to go back to the days of one phone per family and no caller ID, or watching a TV show at the time it comes on or not at all.

Not slamming anyone who thinks differently, it's all personal taste. But I love being able to hit the Google app on my iPhone when I have a question, or being able to send a quick text and avoid all the small talk that comes with a phone conversation.

jSarek likes this.
  19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Nah, I love tech. Selectively. I hate people. (And that's not an old age consequence, as I've become less of a misanthrope with time)

What I do love are mp3 players, because that was something I would've never imagined in a million years when I was a kid - that I can have my entire music library in my hand to play in the car or walking around and still have room left over.

Also, apropos of nothing, I like Max Headroom. You kids should give it a whirl on your audiovisual telephonic interwebs gizmos or what-have-you.

Now get off my virtual lawn.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    a_g: Every time I watch Mad Men and watch people have a massive crisis because they can't reach Don when he's not in his office, I just think to myself "Well, good thing we have cell phones now!"

krtmd and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Technology is good and all but I feel that we are all screwed if something short circuits all technology.
    Still young but I can't imagine writing on a typewriter. So thank heavens for Microsoft Word or whatever typing thing everyone uses. You can read it and you can jump to a new topic in a paper if the current paragraph is not going for you and come back to it later etc.

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Typewriters weren't so bad, as long as you had a good idea of what you wanted to say before you started. I found them much easier to use than I'd expected: their setup was functionally quite similar to that of a keyboard.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ye gods. I got an electronic typewriter for high school graduation. Thought that thing was awesome because of the correcting ribbon that worked quickly.

Now I'm wondering how the hell I survived without word processing programs.

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Argh, typewriters blew. The fact that we have our awful keyboard layouts is because of them, but we're just too engrained with QWERTY to use anything else. Once word processing became a Real Thing, I never looked back. (Although I'm a fan of the old pen-and-paper as well).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I used to have great handwriting. It's gone to **** since I rarely write anything anymore.

But it's fine as I don't feel like I'll ever need to write out a long letter again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.