main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, here's a reason - my work has a tight control over our computers. So, when inevitable boredom sets in, I write.

The irony is that most of what I write at work is programming to put in when I get home... 8-}

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Does anyone still use Cursive? I was told in 3rd grade that that was all we would use later in life. Only one class in HS required it.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, but he's Don. He'd still have it on silent when he's at the movies and he'd always ignore it and be like, "Oh, sorry, I was in a meeting," all the time. Technology cannot solve the Don Draper problem.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My son is in third grade; his second grade teacher taught some cursive but didn't focus on it. He prints everything he writes.

There is an argument in favor of teaching cursive that it helps with fine motor skills, but so do a lot of other things.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Havac -- well true, but that was just an example of the whole not being able to ever contact people thing.

Use it almost constantly. edit: that is, when I actually write, which is almost never.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I remember learning cursive in elementary school, and knowing we were never going to use it once we got out of school. I was right.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I am horribly disappointed. I have this image of you at a desk writing with a quill pen that's ruined forever.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Funny thing about cursive: I outright refused to learn it. I've always been incredibly stubborn, and in third grade I felt there would never be any use for cursive and didn't want to put forth the effort to learn it (though I suppose I was right in the end, wasn't I?). The teacher kept trying to get me to learn it, but eventually I won out, even after she started taking points off for not writing my assignments in cursive (but later stopped as she realized it would not do any good). It was the principal of the matter.

God I was a prick.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, when I write I tend to use fountain pens. Quills are ridiculously messy.

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    They don't really teach cursive writing in school anymore. You know, because it's not on those federal and state mandated tests, so why bother...

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't know if this is still the case, but as of a couple of years ago they forced you to handwrite a confidentiality statement in cursive for the GRE (for those not of the US -- the "graduate record examination" standardized test required for most graduate schools). It was sort of a silly formality, but if you refused or wrote in print you risked inuring the wrath of the examiners.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I vaguely remember having to do that. I took it in 2008.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I bought a quill and ink set years ago over a decade ago) and tried to maintain some correspondence with it. I was an American history major and I was enamored with the idea of using stuff from the Founding Period. I had visions of myself maintaining deep, thought provoking correspondence with friends far away. I imagined myself sitting at my desk, quill in one hand, a glass of Maderia in the other. :-B

Suffice to say, they are messy, hard to write with, and require patience. I did end up using to sign letters for awhile, but once I ran out of ink I never bothered to buy anymore. :p

--Adm. Nick

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. I only use it to sign Checks and other legal document things.
    I remember that my 3rd Grade teacher kept stressing that fact. Freaked me out a bit. All for nothing.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ugh you barbarians. Respect cursive. It is perfectly useful, and moreover it would be silly not to be able to read things that are in cursive. No respect for the past or elegance these days. Damn kids.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  16. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    My normal handwriting looks like mangled illegible cursive. Does that count as using it?

I never actually learned to write in cursive. I was having surgery while the rest of my 3rd grade class learned it, so I got to write normally on any assignments that required cursive, which stopped being given after 5th grade anyway.

17. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, the Carthaginian early game on R2 is far more intense than that of the Romans or the Ptolemies. Within 10 turns all of the North African nomadic tribes are overrunning your client colonies, your economy is in the tank, Lilybaeum is on the point of revolt, Carthaginian troops are quite frankly inferior to the Celtiberian and Roman units, and mercenaries have insane upkeep costs. It makes surviving all that and persevering all that much more satisfying. Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam!

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Only thing that struck me as outright strange is that there really seems no reason to build the secondary Army camp as Carthage, as all you get out of the whole building chain are better spear throwing skirmishers. o_O Rome by contrast can get just about any unit type there is building Auxiliary camps in certain regions.

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, the secondary camp is useless. Then again, so is most of the Carthaginian military tree. It's a pity- if that merc camp let me build Iberian units instead of having to trek over to Hispania to recruit them as mercs, I would probably forgo the Hoplite Barracks altogether. Celtiberians are unholy terrors in combat- and they're nerfed compared to what they were in the Europa Barbarorum mod.

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh the higher level Hoplites are pretty good and of course you get War elephants, but yep I had initially also hoped that you get different Mercs in different regions just like Rome gets with the Auxiliary Camps.

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So I saw this video about a waterphone, which apparently can be used to make those creepy sounds in horror movies.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Reading in cursive is one thing, and is an extraordinarily easy thing to do (I'm not sure one really has to learn to read cursive). Writing cursive, though? I suppose it's useful if you just really like the look of your own name :p

That said, cursive is one of those things that's easy enough for practically anyone to do without being taught (even if in my case it looks like the scrawl of a serial killer), so it's no big deal when you occasionally need to break it out for standardized tests or job applications or any similar situation.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Saw RIDDICK last night.

Decent, rather than great, but the first third is probably the best adaptation of REH's Conan (in terms of general theme) I've seen. And I know most dudes are raving about nude Starbuck, but I was way more into the Frazetta tribute shot.

It. Was. Beautiful.

24. Otherwise

Otherwise Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2013
    Uh. Not what I expected from a first glance at a general Lit forum thread, not going to lie.

I know nothinggggg of literary criticism but I end up in Star Wars books more than anything else in the franchise hello there please don't ostracize me.

25. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

The upper-level hoplites are passable- granted, I haven't recruited any Sacred Band yet- but they aren't comparable to, say, Ptolemaic Egypt's Hellenic Royal Guard or Thorax Pikemen.

I'm rather iffy on elephants. I virtually completed a Ptolemaic campaign earlier this week (until it started CRASHING WHENEVER I TRY TO GO TO TURN 170, ARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHH), and my elephants tended to just kinda drop like flies in combat.

It's rather fun to watch the other areas of the map and see how wildly ahistorical they get. Right now, Cimmeria (Crimean Hellenes) controls most of the Black Sea coast, while Media Atropatene has taken much of the western Seleucid territories. AI Rome and AI Carthage tend to be hilariously inept, although now I understand why AI Carthage dies so quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.