main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Plus all the sand.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It's coarse, and itchy, and makes for terrible romantic lines.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Meh. The "collect 100 Grains of Sand" sidequest didn't take that long.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Tell that to this guy.
    [​IMG]

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So that's how Traviss came up with the "three million" figure.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Blargghhhh that's what made me stop playing Galaxies. Er, not that I had to clean my room. Which I probably did. But because when I finally got to Thrawn, a moment I had been super-excited about for well on a year, he claims he doesn't have time to talk -- unless you get him 10 vials of blood from some random critter on Naboo.

I turned my back on him and fled. And we never spoke again.

Lugija, Gorefiend and MercenaryAce like this.
  7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

That's the real reason why Rukh killed him.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Secret World is the only MMO that has (in my opinion) been more reasonable on quests and such.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean, the thing is -- SWG at least tried to be original. It was before WoW, so it didn't have the chance to catch in on the cheap-clone thing that all the MMOs these days are doing. The entirely player-run economy was a brilliant idea (even if it meant that I had to wear a mismatching Imperial uniform because that was all people were selling and I didn't want to become an overt faction member to get the official uniform because it meant people would shoot me dead before I blinked), player-run cities were great, and having the GCW be dynamic with planets being up for grabs was brilliant. The profession system was great too because it allowed a role for RPers and non-combat types, and it forced other players to respect those roles too without getting bogged down into a stupid class-based system "group looking for heals!" nonsense.

SWG's downfall was that Sony sucked at supporting it and let bugs profilerate, engaged in that absurd combat rebalance that destroyed anything unique about the game and suddenly made Jedi super common, took too long to roll out content updates (although it was kind of cool having to use animal mounts before speeders were a thing -- I loved riding a kaadu while wearing sunglasses and an inquisitor's robes with a wookiee rykk blade on my waist), and the quests, of course, were your typical stupid MMO quests.

Still though SWG made good use of EU (with some odd misfires), and it generally felt like I was in SW. It got old super quick, but in the beginning it was rather amazing and I have a lot of fond memories of Naboo -- a world which I cared nothing about (thanks to TPM!) until SWG. Of course, it was the main Imperial world so.... yeah. You've all seen the famous SWG screenshot, but I have some others somewhere... SWG let me spin on Han Solo -- spit on that Rebel traitor! Dream come true.

SWTOR is on the other hand... ugh. Like, I like the story system. I like the dialogue. But its greatest strength is its biggest weakness: it should've been KOTOR3! I find myself killing 100 rabbits just to get to the next dialogue bit because the dialogue has all the interesting story and lore bits. And it doesn't really feel so much that I'm in SW because of its poor design choices: the fanservice to the max and the blatant movie ripping-off means that it just doesn't feel right. SWG was set in the movie era so its use of movie elements made it feel genuine -- SWTOR? Not as much. Also, the story system adds another weakness: EVERY character is supposed to be someone special, which doesn't work in an MMO. Yeah, there are intersecting stories and roles so it's mitigated a little bit... but not much. By comparison, in SWG you were just some guy. That's it. Even the quest givers didn't think you were a big deal "oh I've never heard of you, but you'll do. Go do this job for me."

And yeah, it was better to run into famous dudes that we knew from the films and EU than it was to run into TOR Mary Sue #17.

Cynical_Ben and Gorefiend like this.
  10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    So, how about that Bioshock Infinite ending, huh?

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No spoilers for games I've not yet been able to play in the Literature forum, please. :p

12. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

Valid.

Ulicus likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Stupid

14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I think the limited scale made this even more problematic. In a galaxy as vast as this one, it's entirely possible to have many significant player characters, as long as you ensure that they're only locally or regionally significant (or at least only permit the most skilled and dedicated players to rise above that level). Across a million worlds, you could fit a great many lords and masters and generals in. Unfortunately, since everything is centered around a handful of major locations and non-player characters, you have the undesirable situation in which every player character is expected to fill a position that only one person is meant to hold at any given time.

Given the choice, I think it would've worked much better if they'd cut it down to two or three classes at the most (one Jedi, one Sith, maybe one normal). Combine all the Force abilities into those two classes and let the players choose their own build, and focus the time and energy that was split across so many classes on making sure those two or three have as many different paths to choose from as there are players.

Of course, I'd also have liked them to drastically cut back on the visuals in exchange for a deeper role-playing experience. One of these days, somebody is going to make a game as graphically simple as the original Neverwinter Nights and sink their entire budget into making it as huge as possible. And it's going to be incredible.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Relevant.

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  17. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Regardless of how funny that is, i find it hard to believe that qualifies as news.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's something you don't see every day. Shooting at the Naval Yard, massive FBI response, etc. Weirdness.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Something about those two facts just doesn't sit right with me, does NCIS not exist?

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They're probably there too (don't have a TV, so my info is all second-hand from friends who do), but they do investigative stuff. There's going to be a lot of DC police and FBI securing the scene. Maybe military police too, I have no idea. I did see black SUVs speed by with sirens, myself.

21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I saw the news story about the base worker, a civilian, who heard the shots and his first thought was to get his legally-blind co-worker out of harm's way, and led him off-base arm-in-arm. I'd like to shake that man's hand.

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    All the local/federal police are involved. The call went to 911 to MPD, who responded with "live shooter" investigative teams. Now, apparently, the investigation has been turned over to the FBI. I'm sure NCIS is involved. Along with ATF, all the assorted Federal police agencies - like US Park Police, etc. Even Maryland State Police were assisting, with their helicopters. You can't throw a rock downtown right now w/o hitting someone with a badge.

23. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    [face_cowboy]
    [​IMG]
    /thought I'd make it SWy, with random ESB poster

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah, give me ol' San Andreas any day. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    360? lol have fun with that.

krtmd and CooperTFN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.