main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I hate when they get to that point in a franchise. I can never tell what Final Fantasy or Tomb Raider is the latest.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Actually, one thing you have to give FF credit for is that they've never strayed from their number system. Of course, they do weasel out of it a bit by having way too many spin-offs.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm still irritated that they included the MMOs amongst the numbered titles.

FXI should have been FF Online I, FFXIV should be FF Online II.

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Bah, the only one that actually exists is the first one. Don Bluth directed it, James Horner did the music, and it was produced by Spielberg and Lucas. All of the rest were done without any of them for any purpose but to make money and are, therefore, non-cannon. I did love Chomper, though, at least until the fifth movie/TV series where they had him talk. Yes, Jello was right, there was a TV series as well. It sucked worse than the later movies.

5. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Dino-Jedi? [face_thinking]

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So Pathfinder is pretty fun, even when I fumble EVERY FRAKKING STEALTH ATTACK ROLL, AND/OR PASS THOSE AND MANAGE TO FUMBLE BOTH OF MY ATTACK ROLLS (I have double weapon attack). My one natural 20 since we started was on a disable device, arrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The best part of pen and paper, in my experience, is when you fail skill checks and hilarity results. :p

8. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    "I slash at Coldhands (I swear the final boss was basically Coldhands from ASOIAF, we ended up callng him that) with my dagger and short sword at point blank range! *roll a 4, with +4 attack bonus because I need to upgrade that posthaste* I trip over a pine cone and utterly miss! He laughs the creaking laugh of the dead! Then the elk he is riding swats me with its antlers!"

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, see, I tended to be able to hit things (high dex) but I have a very low str and con -- which means I am as fragile as paper and I can barely hurt anything. Consequently, I upgraded my weapon to spec for minimum damage -- assuming that all things being equal, I'd almost always roll a 1 on damage rolls... and I usually did. :p so basically my weapon damage is 2d8 plus a ridiculous amount of modifiers :p

Then I turned into a Jedi, and suddenly my charisma score became highly relevant because I ended up being the most naturally gifted Force person in our team and suddenly I can run into the middle of combat zones WITHOUT getting shot in the face and dying every time because I can deflect things. Reckless gallantry FTW

10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    See, when I get around to running my Star Wars Saga campaign, if I decides to adapt some old WEG modules into a campaign then I'm disallowing Jedi altogether. I might allow *one* member of some other order. If I go with a KOTOR-era campaign (which would involve jossing TOR altogether), then I might allow 3 (we currently have about 7 players plus a GM). Jedi just seem A) cliched and B) unbalanced.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree entirely -- what I've learned is that being a Jedi means you get ridiculous character bonuses at no cost. One of the things I like about the new FFG system is the complete lack of support for Force users (except for exiled ones) so far, and the lack of a trained lightsaber skill. I mentioned this to my GM, and he said that sounds really dumb because it inhibits fun.

Fun being players walking all over every challenge because they have cybernetic gauntlets with lasers built into them or something and can also use the Force.

Sigh.

12. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Empatojayos Brand???

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    That's because FFG is splitting the setting into 3 different "themes"
    Edge of the Empire is about the Fringe
    Age of Rebellion is the Rebels and Imperials (yay!)
    There should be a third one focused on Jedi and Dark Jedi/Sith.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Maybe it's because I'm still feeling the lingering effects of Firefly withdrawal, but I have to say the Fringe one sounds the most interesting to me.

But I don't know anyone who would be interested in RPG's, so it's ultimately irrelevant :(

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    So, I've officially become a GTAV widow. Someday, my husband will come up for air, right?

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The good news: yes, he will eventually. The bad news: when he does, he will no longer be the man you married.

CooperTFN and krtmd like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You should tell your husband to stop playing and wait for PC like a real man.

...or maybe not. I'm not sure how married dialogue works. :p

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Doesn't matter. Do it anyways.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh no, I could never do that. He is NOT a PC gamer - it's PS all the way in my house. My son plays PC games, but he's not allowed anywhere near the GTA franchise.

srsly, that would be like grounds for divorce in my house...

In other bizarre news, it turns out my Dad, who I only really have contact with through FB (for lots of complicated reasons) is a climate change denier. :eek:

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, your son sounds like a fine lad :p

And lol, that reminds me of when my parents got Vice City for me during Christmas one year. They came up to me a week later asking for it back because they'd heard a news story about how awful it was. I said "no." :p

tjace and instantdeath like this.
  21. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    How old were you? My son is 13, so yeah, GTA is a big no. I do let him play things with violence, within reason (i.e. Skyrim, Uncharted, etc.) but I do have a line. He thinks it's arbitrary, but I have my reasons.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    15 or 16 -- I'm not sure if I got it on the Christmas of the year it came out, or the year after... seems to make more sense that I'd got it the year it came out if there were news stories about it. Guess I was about 14 or so when GTA3 came out.

Honestly the reason GTA is bad for kids is less the violence per se and more how it glorifies violence, drug use, and extreme misogyny. Like, I don't believe in the whole "games lead people to shot people" thing because there are a whole host of other character influences, but certainly being immersed in something so awful and trivializing it makes a difference. So I don't think you're being arbitrary at all -- there's a difference between a heroic fantasy type of violence (not only in the purposes of the violence, but the fact that it's obviously a fake world) and GTA.

Also I mostly play GTA because I like driving the Ferrari-analogs and wearing nice suits... but I'm probably weird. I also obey traffic lights in GTA so yeah.

23. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    That's the line exactly. I don't see a relationship between playing violent games and being violent in RL either - unless you're already prone to violence, or have mental health issues that prevent you from making the distinction between fantasy and the real world. My son can make the distinction, but the other aspects of the game are inappropriate for someone his age. I feel this way about games like Call of Duty as well. It glorifies a whole 'nother thing I'm not quite ready for him to partake in, IYKWIM...

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That makes two of us, then. Don't usually obey the traffic lights, though.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And the rumors that you're my clone continue ... :p

I really hope they brought the Cheetah back. That was the main thing missing from GTA4. The Testarossa is a lovely car. Although I also liked using the FBI Washington in Vice City as well. Other people like being criminals, but I just liked having a nice big mansion with statues and palm trees

krtmd y'know the funny thing is, my parents kept pushing me for a while to consider the military and I'm really really not sure why. It does not seem like them at all.

s65horsey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.