main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    ...Yeah, that's definitely an odd one. Any particular branch? I suppose I could understand the navy.

And yes, they did bring the Cheetah back, though it looks a bit different now. Still wish they'd back and do a European game at some point. The change of scenery would be nice, and I'd much rather race through the streets of somewhere like Paris, London, or Rome than yet another copy of a coastal American city.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I liked the GTA series because I like sandbox games. The stupid violence didn't bother me much because it was so over the top... which is probably why I ended up gravitating to Saint's Row. GTA IV tried to be uber-serious while retaining the grade school humor, which left me cold.

Preferred, though, is open-world FPS like Fallout or Skyrim. (In fact, I'm going back and playing Oblivion as we speak).

I think it's almost a guarantee that they'll just do an updated Vice City next.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Good for you. In these kind of relationships, you really want to establish dominance early.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I can't see you in the military at all, Jello.

I played Vice City at around 14 years old and San Andreas a couple of years after that though my parents weren't aware of it :p GTA V is definitely not for kids though. I already got my mom and step dad to forbid for my youngest brother much to his chagrin

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am GM:ing a old school WEG Star Wars game, using a combination of translated 1:ed rules, 2:ed books and what works. It take place in some back water sector I call Siba with planets named after African words, except for the ones the introduction adventures.

P.s. do anybody know how different half-bothans are in comparison to humans? If you wanted to give them states

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    My family got GTA for PS1 when we finally got around to getting that console, after exclusively having Nintendo and Sega consoles up until that point, but none of us ever really bothered to play it. Of course, we weren't even teens at the time, which contributed to that, and also prevented us from playing other things like Die Hard. Though that isn't much of a factor now since my brother and I are adults now, and I don't think it would have precluded us from play something like Halo if we would have had an Xbox back then, not that my parents can handle first-person games like Doom in order to find out Halo isn't like other Mature games.

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Maybe I'm just young enough to remember being told that I was an impressionable blob of goo that would conform to whatever violent media I absorbed*, but I do feel that forbidding something based on questionable content will do nothing but foster curiosity for it. Granted, I've always been spectacularly stubborn, so maybe most kids would have simply forgotten about it where I would have done everything possible to find out what I was being forbidden.

I've always been very self-righteously principled, though. I'm not sure if that represented maturity or immaturity on my part. I know that when I was a teenager I felt teenagers were unfairly stereotyped as universal idiots who think with their hormones... though now I realize that 95% of them are totally like that.

*Along this same line of thought, I know I absolutely hated having everything I did being attributed to something, or someone, else. My mom, for example, is that middle aged woman you always see jamming out in her car to whatever bad Top 40 song is currently besieging the airwaves. When I started getting into music, she constantly accused my dad of brainwashing me to "hate this generation of music" (despite the fact that I listen to tons of music from this decade). I suppose I just despised that feeling that no one expects you to have any original thought in your ahead aside from what you absorb from popular culture. Hell, I still sometimes get the feeling that my college professors feel that way about their students.

Where was I going with this again? Probably nowhere. I guess I can say that while I obviously concede that children are impressionable, I don't believe they're as impressionable as some want to believe.

8. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm just not sure a 13 year old has the maturity level to make sense of why some of the content is objectionable, and the violence is the least of it - for me as a parent anyway. I haven't played it yet, but my husband certainly is, and we are in agreement on this.

Another example of my kid lacking the maturity to handle something. He and his friends were watching/listening to YouTube clips of some guy making prank phone calls. They were funny. And unbelievably racist. So I had to talk to him about being sensitive to that kind of stuff in real world settings. If I don't teach him, he won't know.

In the previous GTA installments, the women are depicted in a certain, um, way. I don't have a problem with it within the game context. It makes sense in that world. But it's certainly not an appropriate way to think about or treat women in the world in which he resides. And since he can't even talk about girls without blushing and stammering, then we're not really ready to have a conversation about prostitutes - or how to get his virtual girlfriend in GTA to **** him. So, I know he's not ready for the game. I try to satisfy his thirst for mature content video games with other titles.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I was probably 13 or so (possibly as young as 11) when I played GTA III, but I had no problem figuring out what was objectionable or not. I never really did any of the prostitute missions, since I was more interested in driving around smashing stuff. (especially when I figured out the tank cheat :D ) To me it was just another game. I guess playing Goldeneye on N64 made using guns all the time not a big deal for me, and I was too young to really care about or notice any racial subtext. Hell, I even specifically always chose the radio station with classic Italian opera, so I could really feel like a proper mafia man. :p

10. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Speaking of radio stations, I miss the ones they used to use. It seems the newer the game, the harder I have to look to find a station worth listening to. A good car chase is never quite complete without an appropriate soundtrack playing in the background.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Soundtrack? Talk radio is where it's at! VCPR ftw.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, it is nice to hear that not all children these days are being educated by the internet. Sometimes I fear that they'll all be like those brats you meet online.

To be honest, I can't even remember what I was like at 13; those years just kind of blur together for me. I do know that I was playing Vice City when I was 8 years old, though, and did indeed learn what a prostitute was from that game. Whether that scarred me for life or not I guess I'll never know.

I actually feel like the GTA soundtracks have gotten more eclectic as they've gone on, though that's likely because the video game industry is actually in a position to license a lot of music these days. Of course, I haven't looked at the GTA V soundtrack yet (that kind of thing constitutes a spoiler for me, I love the feeling of having a song I really love and never would have expected to show up come up in a game/movie), so I don't know how they did this time.

I know some are in love with the GTA Vice City soundtrack, and it is very good, but ehh, considering the diversity of the decade they were working in I thought they were just a bit too one note.

In my mind, San Andreas is the best GTA soundtrack. But yeah, as Jello says, the talk shows are awesome as well. Unlike real life talk shows, they're actually worth listening to.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    San Andreas is the best GTA everything.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've only started playing GTA with 3, but SA was the only one I just couldn't get into. Maybe it was all that hoodlum nonsense in the beginning, but I just hated that stuff.

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I liked 4 better (not that I liked it that much, overall), though part of that is the visuals and controls of the earlier games being too dated now for me to be able to fully enjoy them.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah that's true -- as maligned as 4 is (and rightly), I do like that the cars actually handled... like cars. Having acceleration and stuff you could control that acted pedal-like instead of just "mash button and go fast".

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    But I like "mash and go fast". :(

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I...prefer Saint's Row the Third.

Heresy, I know.

blackmyron likes this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've played all the GTA games at some point, but the only one I've beaten is GTA IV, largely because its the only one I played where my attention span had finally gotten around to developing. I probably need to pay San Andreas a revisit at some point.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You can still do that with a trigger, just mash it down all the way. But if you ever feel like controlling your speed for some reason, you can choose not to mash the trigger down or to gently mash the brake trigger... instead of just mashing the "stop completely" button :p

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And that's why PCs work. One of the few saving graces of GTA IV was the custom station.

...of course, they could've just made enjoyable radio stations like previous games.

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't know, the Ambient station was one of the best stations in any GTA game (Philip Glass, Tangerine Dream, Aphex Twin)... of course, if you wanted to hear it you'd have to look for it, since no one in GTA listened to it by default.

/am totally aware I'm the only one who gives a **** about the ambient station.

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    It's odd, really. For all they've built up the series to be, I find it works best when they stick to the title. Maybe the latest game will be be different, but I don't think the non-vehicular gameplay of the others has ever managed to outdo what other series have to offer. The variety of cars, the driving around, the car chases, the radio stations, the car theft and collection missions, all that I can get behind. Whenever I get out of a car, I feel like a duck on land with a gun and terrible aim.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, I haven't played V, but I have to say the concept of the heist missions sounds like the best thing the series has ever done. Of course, I've never been much of a car buff (I still have flashbacks to the god awful racing missions of San Andreas)

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I have a great love for heist films, so I'll agree that it sounds like the most appealing game they've come up with so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.