main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Precisely why I'm holding off on my series reread until the 6th book (hopefully) comes out. I fully expect it to get delayed to 2015 though.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So, SHIELD is a thing now.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm planning on checking it out when it goes up on Hulu. Not a huge Marvel fan, but the movies are pretty fun so I'll give it a shot.

4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's practically oozing with movie stuff, I'll say that much.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Is there a helicarrier? Because it's not really SHIELD if there isn't one.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'll probably look into it at some point.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Kiiiiiiind of?

jSarek likes this.
  8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I really enjoyed it. I'm a Coulson fangirl from way back so I'm so excited about this show. The pilot exceeded my expectations but I know some others are not quite as happy about it.

jSarek likes this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    That sounds like the gentleman's "no", Coop.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'll say this. If you don't like Whedon shows, this definitely isn't for you. But if you really really like Whedon shows, then this show is perfection at its best. ;)

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

It exceeded mine too, and mine were pretty high.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I never watch TV shows as they air (I prefer to wait for the seasons to finish and then watch them whenever I get the time... this has come back to bite me several times), but I plan to make an exception for SHIELD because Joss Whedon writes excellent episodic television. Unfortunately I missed the premiere because all my TV time is taken up by frantically trying to finish Breaking Bad before this Sunday.

Y'know, on a related subject: does anyone know if buying shows digitally, DVRing them or whatever else counts towards ratings? I'll admit I've never quite understood how those work. I feel bad for not watching Person of Interest (that's a show that I can see getting cancelled), but it's also a show I think I'd hate watching week-by-week.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I know a lot of ratings do something like "live plus 48 hours" to encapsulate the general "I want to watch this ASAP" audience. Overall DVRing and digital sales are tracked, I'm sure, but they're not yet given as much weight as traditional ratings.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Being the resident old man, I don't cotton much to the new-fangled televisual programs, other than Adventure Time or Venture Brothers (the odd year that they have new episodes).

I'm mostly a X-fan, meaning my comics exposure to SHIELD usually just involves a brief aside where the authorities are told that SHIELD can't come to stop Magneto because of something or other.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Because kids covering Tool awesomely needs to be linked to:

There's a quick comment about how the helicarrier is the reason why their mobile command planes (such as the one the series is using) aren't used as commonly as they used to be in the 90's.

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    All right, I'll give it a shot.

But I'd just like to point out that OSI from Venture Brothers has a flying command HQ, so there's no excuse for Agents of SHIELD.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But Venture Brothers is telling stories around characters that are the equivalent of Nick Fury and GI Joe when they show that. We're focusing on Billy Quiz-Boy here right now ;).

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Verdict on SHIELD: loved it. Will definitely watch weekly.

And yeah, I'm with Horsey -- the Son of Coul = amazing.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Gotta love his Matrix reflexes with the van door as well.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I was actually more pleased with the megaphone right before -- guy sure loves his deadpan megaphone addresses.

The2ndQuest and Havac like this.
  21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    No excuse besides the cost of reproducing that helicarrier is probably worth a whole episode by itself? :cool:

Damn. Have to admit the voice drives me crazy, but it's a very fine effort. Tool are not an easy band to cover.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    They need to hurry up and cover some Flyleaf songs before their lead singer's voice changes. Of course, that would be a waste of the rest of the band's talents, but so be it.

23. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

It was interesting watching the show and hitting those parts that were obvious Whedon dialogue. I think it's off to a good start...it had a LOT to establish, but the character of Skye is SUCH a Whedon character it's kinda distracting.

Also, I was confused about her being part of the Rising Tide to the point of being their voice but not knowing anything about them while they also are running gunmen in Paris. Either there are factions to the Rising Tide or there's not going on there than meets the eye (probably).

24. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I was wondering if that was supposed to be a hint as to what he actually is. Since I'm fairly certain he isn't quite human anymore given some of the lines said by Agent Hill.

Gorefiend likes this.
  25. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the traditional ratings you see are still based on who watches the show live at first airing. Sometimes seasonal ratings will also be based on who tuned in for repeat airings, particularly with cable and premium cable channels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.