main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Cynical_Ben, DigitalMessiah, Trip

If you guys want to get together and group on Ebon Hawk I'd be more than happy to, just give me character names (DM already has, unless he's going to make a new one), factions, classes, and times you'd like to play, and I'll be there. Having run from 1-55 on three separate characters, I still love the game and would be more than happy to start from scratch if you want. :)

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

I just peed a little.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm assuming you mean in a good way, right? ;)

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    No, he must mean in completely unrelated way. I just used a bathroom myself.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have an unofficial collection of paper money. Nothing fancy or special, I just try to save at least one bill from wherever I go. Usually low denomination so it's more of a travel journal than anything else. The disparate sizes and colors are also hilarious.

I also keep loose change but coins are harder to carry with me -- I have a few vintage British pre decimal from a museum gift shop but the only real worthy coins I have are two Napoleonic coins (a Demi franc which has Napoleon as the emperor if the French Republic and a gold 20 franc) and a coin from Roma's one thousandth anniversary in 347 which I do carry with me.

I have some proofs and modern commemoratives too, my favorite of those being the five pound coin with Marianne and Britannia struck for the centennial of the Entente Cordial. Appropriate I mention it, given I'm reading Mental Floss's coverage of the WWI centennial (PS history buffs here, I highly recommend it).

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Steam holiday sale is now live, for the interested.

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm debating buying Arkham Origins. It's $25 right now, half off. I've heard that it's disappointing compared to the others, but, that's fine with me, more Batman is always good. I'd buy Metal Gear Rising, but I'm pretty sure my computer would melt trying to run it at a decent frame rate after looking at those recommended specs.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I got the first two Batman games for free and $5 respectively, so personally I'd wait. Of course I've not really played either of them, so I have no interest in Origins anyway so I'm probably a poor judge.

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm reading the Dunwich Horror to Mabel. The only relation this has to anything being discussed is "Arkham."

blackmyron likes this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Arkham Origins isn't disappointing compared to the others, it just isn't as big a leap as City was from Asylum.

And Batman is Chris Redfield now.

12. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, and the Joker is Booker DeWitt/Joel from Last of Us. Odd that they'd change those two voices and leave pretty much everyone else the same. I know Mark Hamil's basically retired from Joker, though, and maybe Kevin Conroy's only doing the "main" games in the series, the ones done by Rocksteady.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    From what I've seen, Troy Baker does a phenomenal job as the Joker, but then, Troy Baker does a phenomenal job at everything.

I haven't played Origins yet, but everything I hear tells me it's a good game, but very much "more of the same". If you liked Arkham City (and how could you not?) you'll like Origins, just don't be expecting a giant leap forward.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It has detective stuff now where it's basically reconstructing crime scenes. It doesn't really add anything to the game.

The game is fun. I guess it ultimately depends upon whether you would rather wait for it to get discounted more or not.

15. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I got it. Though, not on Steam. Green Man Gaming has it at the same discount, and you can find promotional codes to their store online to give you an extra $5 off on top, making it $20 even. And it activates on Steam anyway, so, yeah, problem solved.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I buy stuff through GMG for activation on Steam all the time. You just have to be careful that it says the DRM is Steam and not something else.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I nabbed two titles that I've been interested in for ages, but have never got around to getting until Steam plastered a big slash mark across their price points; Mirror's Edge and FTL: Faster Than Light. I might even play them before 2018.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Another place I get a lot of games from is Humble Bundle, where you can basically pay whatever you want for them. EA had one a few months ago that had Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Mirror's Edge, etc.

I actually have some extra activation keys for games I already owned. OMG Gemini Rue is in the current Humble Bundle.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Jello and RC, you might be interested in this. A historical RPG that takes place in the "Holy Roman Empire during the last days of the middle ages", with no magic or other fantasy elements. Not much known so far, but it sounds very interesting.

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Oh good, I thought I was the only person who liked the Hold Steady version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair". It's supposed to be an energetic song, not a dirge like half of the covers on Youtube seem to interpret it.

instantdeath - Yeah, I saw that. Definitely sounds like something I would play.

Barriss_Coffee and Bib Fartuna like this.
  22. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Both are fantastic for what they are, I'd say. Mirror's Edge is an exercise in frustration until you get used to the controls, since first-person platforming isn't easy in any circumstances. And the sounds made when you fall to your death (and you will) are horrifyingly realistic. Still fun, though, I enjoyed it.

FTL, on the other hand, is a phenomenal rogue-lite space based strategy game, one of the best games of last year, IMO. I'd pick it up as soon as it goes on the daily deal or a flash sale. It's a great pick up and play game, it'll run on pretty much anything, and it's got great replay value. Definitely worth it.

23. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

I see you got it, but I would say the best description of it is a DLC of Arkham City. I thought the Troy Baker Joker was great. As a Batman fan its enjoyable, but its nothing new. Here's to hoping there is a sequel to Arkham City on the horizon.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Story-wise, I was very impressed with Arkham Origins. It ties in well the other two, gives a lot of insight to (the Arkham series) Batman's relationship with a number of his allies and enemies. We get to see the Batcave in its glory, not just a battle map; we get more insights into the early days of Gotham City itself (including an opportunity to solve Gotham's "oldest cold case"). Also, a nice shout-out to the Long Halloween, which I going guess is going to be expanded upon in one of the DLCs.

darthscott3457 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  25. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    There are a lot of great Easter Eggs in the game too. One thing I did miss was finding the Riddler clues related to the Batman verse, but still very good overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.