main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's insane to me that BBC America isn't airing Sherlock until the 19th. They might as well have titled it 3x01 - Please Download This.

Mia Mesharad and krtmd like this.
  2. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    That assumes that people don't do that just to avoid having to dodge commercials anyway...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Bah. I just watch Elementary.

4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I watched the mini webisode of Sherlock they posted on YouTube, and enjoyed it enough that I'm probably going to start watching the series. Which, for me, who doesn't watch any TV shows, is a pretty big deal.

Pacific Rim is the sort of film that really needs to be seen on the big screen, and even then it's a genre picture for genre people. The genre being "giant robots v. giant monsters."

Oh, I enjoyed being a bookworm. I still do. It amazes my mom that I was able to get through all nineteen of the NJO books in less than five months, a pace that was, for me, actually pretty slow, since I graduated with an MA in there as well as other life things. The problem was that a lot of the jesting revolved more around the fact that I absorbed myself in books and ignored every other aspect of life aside from maybe school than the fact that I could relate to this character. It wasn't so much being told about it as it was being teased. I had a pretty thin skin as a child.

Of course, once I saw the film and realized how clever, funny and courageous Belle is, I wondered why people ever compared me to her. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    haha fair enough. I liked Aladdin and The Lion King better as a kid but the bookworm comparisons (not to Belle specifically) were constant. Usually they were positive, but occasionally I was told I ought to stop reading and talk to people. But I always wondered why I'd do a silly thing like that? I was always jealous of that massive library she got as a gift and have aimed to make my own in miniature. Now if only I had the time to read even half of the books I own.

Yeah I could see Pacific Rim being more of a big screen (or big speaker) film. The genre is really, really not my cup of tea but I was pleasantly surprised in the sense that it wasn't excruciating. I will probably never watch it again, but it wasn't too bad and I guess that says a lot for it considering that genre :p

7. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    While enjoyable, and fairly well done, it does NOT live up to Sherlock.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Pacific Rim is the best Godzilla movie in years. And I like Elementary for deviating more from the normal formula of Sherlock stories.

Huh. Good news on the Jeff/Annie front, from Dan Harmon himself!
    "You stand Jeff next to Annie, you feel the energy crackle off the screen. In other ways than I thought, there is a distinct, chemical lack of chemistry between Jeff and Britta. There's a beautiful kind of ex-girlfriend/sibling, familiar bond between them. I really like to see them go on funny missions together, and I like to see Jeff and Annie go on more idealistic adventures ... We definitely do go there this season. There are developments and revelations."

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Pacific Rim's overall enjoyment hinges on how one takes the, effectively, cartoon characterizations of the characters- taken as a live action saturday morning cartoon or light anime, they work as a deliberate homage in style- but for someone looking for a little more meat to the drama (or at least up to ID4 levels of drama), as was hinted at with Idris's character/speeches, they may find it lacking, distracting or just plain annoying.

However, the greater robots vs monsters element is pretty entertaining on a slightly broader level if one ignores the humans.

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I have to disagree with that - personally, I enjoyed the characters quite a bit.

Though...I don't feel like typing out an essay on the subject....

I know, I'll post to an essay that I largely agree with:
    http://www.themarysue.com/pacific-rim-gender-tropes/

Gamiel likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah to be honest the only reason I liked the film at all (liked being used loosely) was the characters. Yeah they were more archetypes / cartoons than people but at least they were there. If it were all just big robots I'd have left partway through.

Plus the English fellow was pretty fun. Exaggerated but I can handle that.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Best thing ever:

[​IMG]

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have people seen this?

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I did read somewhere that Carrie loved working with Peter Cushing. Apparently, he was incredibly encouraging, polite and professional and always wore pink fuzzy slippers in shots where his feet weren't visible. A class act, that man.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I read that he chided her about her accent, which was why she has that odd semi-regal tone on the Death Star (apparently to either tease or mock him).

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, Cushing was a very sweet guy. He played in horror movies and Star Wars not because he liked them, but because his fans liked them in the case of the horror films, and in the case of Star Wars, because he thought his fans, and kids in general, would like it. He played a fantastic villain but he was the nicest guy.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, everyone who worked Star Wars had nothing bad to say about Peter Cushing and I'm reasonably certain it was part of Christopher Lee's reason to take the role in the prequels, in memory of his friend.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yup, don't mess with a man who blows up planets while wearing slippers!

[​IMG]

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Allegedly that's because his feet were cold and the Imperial boots weren't big enough to fit him too comfortably, which is why he's only very infrequently seen wearing them. I don't know if that part of it is true or not, and part of me would prefer he just did it for the hell of it.

If you pay attention closely, he's also wearing a dress shirt underneath his Imperial uniform (you can see the sleeves during the destruction of Alderaan, particularly) because he was cold on set. Saxton alleges that he wore French cuffs, but it's pretty clear that it's a barrel cuff shirt when he points his finger up in that sign. Either way, it's made an appearance on busts of Tarkin and now on one of Thrawn too, though we don't seem to see it on junior officers.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Probably because the top end ranks have personally tailored uniforms and more leeway as far as dress regulations go.

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Why are the slippers not yet canon? Besides being hilarious they would enhance Tarkin's character ("This battle station is my home now. From now on I'm going to wear slippers and no one will speak against it")

darth fluffy and Cynical_Ben like this.
  22. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Community was pretty good. Not a fan of Abed's Nick Cage breakdown, but the rest was pretty solid.

Why does Archer have to be on at the same time as Castle?

Tarkin's Slippers need to be added to the Wardrobe of Power!

23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004

NOT SURE WHERE ELSE TO POST THIS

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Aluminum Falcons time, everybody! Go vote! It's a sticky, so I know you don't actually see it!

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Community: it's back, folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.