main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Leverage is awesome.

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    In the sixth episode of the third season of Game of Thrones, love is in the air (and I miscalculated the number of planned weddings in the title, but most of them won't happen anyway if I'm any foreteller).

Barriss_Coffee and RC-1991 like this.
  3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

"Of course, the truth is always bigger than the words we use to describe it, so essentially we are all lying OH MY FINGER!"

[face_laugh]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I love the scene where Woody Harrelson asks Matt if he slept last night and he responds with "I don't sleep. I dream" and Woody just gives him this "GTFO" look. I just couldn't stop laughing.

Girls was really good, actually! Those two episodes were the funniest episodes out of everything I've seen so far. If it keeps going this route I might not hate it quite as much.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Lugija why don't you have the older reviews on your blog? :(

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I wouldn't have guess Ant-Man would one day be played by Michael Douglas, interesting to say the least.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    These reviews never fail, even for the dull episodes! [face_laugh]

Huh -- I was unaware of GRRM claimed the wall was "too high" (I've been out of the loop with GRRM commentary in general I guess). They should have matched the throne to size as well in that case!

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Finally wised up and watched Cowboy Bebop. Utterly fantastic show, but now I'm all depressed. Dammit, a show about a space cowboy and his quirky companions having episodic adventures to swinging jazz music shouldn't be depressing :(

Still have the movie to look forward to, and I'll probably have to check out Samurai Champloo as well.

11. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Heard of it, never seen it. Sounds like a manga Firefly?

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Sort of, yeah. It actually pre-dates Firefly, and you can see a lot of the influence. It's primarily a space western, but constantly plays with genre. One episode will have film noir feel, another will be a straight Western, another will evoke John Woo "heroic bloodshed" films and yakuza films, and a few even manage to bring in some blaxploitation influence. It's a really fascinating, and always entertaining, show.

Also, it's actually an anime, not a manga, though it was adapted to a manga, but it would lose so much of what makes the show great in that form; the music. The music is such a vital part of the show that I simply can't imagine it without it. There are actually times when the music is allowed to tell the story. It's only 26 episodes (plus a movie), so it's about the same length as Firefly. I highly recommend it, even if you dislike anime.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have you seen Afro-Samurai?

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Cowboy Bebop was my gateway Anime.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I keep meaning to watch Cowboy Bebop. Even as only a "casual" anime fan, it kind of beggars belief I haven't ever seen it, yet.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Do it. I wouldn't blame you if you waited, though, as it's kind of hard to find for a fair price, but luckily it's being re-released on blu ray this year. I confess I torrented it, but I fully intend to buy the blu ray (and have already bought the movie on blu ray), so I guess that makes up for it?

Haven't. Like the good Admiral, Cowboy Bebop is pretty much my gateway, aside from Death Note (which is also phenomenal), and a lot of the shonen stuff that everyone in my age group grew up with (Dragonball Z, Naruto, Bleach). I plan to watch Fullmetal Alchemist at some point in the near future.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I admit that I have not watched all of it but as of now I can recommend Afro-Samurai even if it just style with little true substance

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Reading some early reviews, I'm even more excited to play The Banner Saga.

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Don't watch much anime, but Bebop is fantastic. Death Note was fun, though Light's paramour is really, really annoying. Also, Code Geass is fun. The protagonist totally pulls a Jacen Solo, only it kinda works.

Ulicus likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I saw the first couple episodes of Samurai Shampoo back when my friends were trying to push anime on me. It looked better than I'd expected and all, but anime is just not my thing so I can't imagine I'd ever want to watch any more of it outside a social setting like that.

They had more success with Miyazaki, whose stuff I ended up liking. Still would probably only watch in a group setting though.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Cowboy Bebop is definitely my favorite anime, and I've watched a lot of anime too. ID hit most of the major points. I agree that it's a good gateway anime. It's very unstereotypical as far as anime goes; I'd basically say its an anime for people who don't usually like anime, if that makes any sense.

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Truth be told, I always find it weird to hear people say "anime is not my thing." Cause there is a lot of different anime out there in lots of different genres. It is kind of like saying "American movies aren't my thing."

In particular, I can't shake the feeling that Jello would really like Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Ulicus likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm racist against Japanese people. Is that better?
    Oh, I'd wager plenty of people would say that.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey Coop, there's this really cool thread on diversity I think you should check out. That'll set you straight. [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.