main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, Todd at the AV Club has been talking about this Community episode since the season began. Trying to restrain my expectations.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It could be worse. It could be actual Twilight.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That was exactly my reaction when reading Planet of Twilight. There could have been more of some good things, but it was so full of boredom that there wasn't room for them.

Well, soon I'll start The Crystal Star and my journey will be complete.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I should be doing the same thing, very soon. Nice to know I won't be alone :( I'm going to break the two supposed "worst SW books evar" up with Starfighters of Adumar, though, so my brain doesn't turn into complete mush. I've really been looking forward to that one. I'm almost tempted to ask if you'd want to co-host a "Crystal Star First Read" kind of thing, but I don't think I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole again.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Bria did a video blogged live read through of The Crystal Star. A thread's not going to be able to top that.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    If it's truly crazy enough to be entertaining for an entire live reading, I'm even more excited for it.

But yeah, I wouldn't do The Crystal Star anyway, precisely because it's been discussed so much that everything there is to say about it has probably been said dozens of times over.

Unrelated: this is impressive.

Just imagine a Star Wars game running with similar tech.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Seconded. It does over-the-top really well. Also John Woo shoutouts galore. [​IMG]

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How much Bebop to they play in Cowboy Bebop?

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A lot, actually. There's a very good mix of different types of jazz, along with blues, rock, and folk music.

Here, just listen to the main theme to get a good sense.

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It's a very, very close tossup between Cowboy Bebop and Batman: The Animated Series for best opening theme for an animated show ever. Judging purely the song I'd have to go with Bebop, but Batman conveys such excellent mood... plus it has to win points for wasting no time in shattering expectations on what a Batman cartoon would be like.

Anyway, Bebop's soundtrack is, as Todd says, diverse (from rock n' roll to baroque choral music) and uniformly fantastic, with a very large dose of bebop, as well as several other forms of jazz. I understand Samurai Champloo has a similar emphasis on hip-hop. That should be interesting.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Uh, DuckTales? C'mon. :p

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That one is a bit before my time :p

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If any of you have ever wondered how a SW dork like me could end up working with a dance company, consider that the climax of the first performance I was involved in was set to the Cowboy Bebop theme.

*That's actually a rough early version, but you get the idea.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Pfft, the best two cartoon opens in the history of cartoons are Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats. The only other cartoon to come close was the 1990's X-Men series on Fox.

--Adm. Nick

darthscott3457 likes this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually recently watched both the 90s X-men and Batman series, pretty much side by side. Don't get me wrong, X-men was tremendously fun (and has the added benefit of nostalgia for me, as X-men regularly aired when I was a kid, but in a cruel twist of fate I never caught Batman), and I'm more of a Marvel fan than I am a DC, but it just doesn't compare to BTAS. A few of the X-men arcs rank up there with the DCAU's best (Phoenix Saga, looking directly at you), but Batman just went so above the expectations of a Saturday morning cartoon that it's not even fair to anything else. It was smart, combined the best qualities of over 50 years of the comics (it could manage to be dark enough to satisfy Frank Miller while also retaining a sense of swashbuckling adventure and humor that the Adam West series had), and unlike 99% of all animated shows, and it was bold enough to be subtle. X-men wasn't so big on subtlety :p

I still haven't actually finished the DCAU. Still need to watch Batman Beyond and the Justice League shows.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Ducktales was good, but Talespin was better.

You haven't seen Justice League/ JLU? Go, now, right now. Get it, watch it. I am more a Marvel person, but the DCAU is awesome- Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, and Justice League/JLU. I find them superior to most the DC comics and live action movies they have tried.

Finally saw Archer. Took long enough to show up OnDemand.
    Major paradigm shift in the show, but the core element, the characters, seem to be unscathed, so I'm looking forwards to Archer Vice.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Batman Beyond is brilliant.

darthscott3457 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I tried watching the first episode of Bubblegum Crisis and I was so confused.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have just read DC's The Judas Coin by Walter Simonson and I have two things to say: 1) it's a good comic and I recommend it; 2) We need Walter Simonson to work on some Star Wars comics were he is given so much freedom as possible to design the ships and armour and he needs to work as a conceptartist for Rebellion and ST

I need to see things like this in SW
    [​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Definitely any of the Spider-Man cartoon series' themes.

Including Unlimited.

21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    which one? I'm partway through Tokyo 2040, and while it is not the most straightforward, it's not impenetrable.

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Okay, I got Cloud Atlas for my birthday. Before I start reading it, has anyone else read it? Is it good? Am I in for a good ride, or am I in for an exhausting chore of a read?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think it is the original series. I just mean, it drops you in medias res and there's not really much context for what's going on, which is a robot is going around blowing stuff up and the police are chasing it, and then it takes a minigun off one of the police helicopters and can integrate it into its chassis or something, and then some women on motorcycles show up and start fighting it. I'M SO CONFUSED.

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Haven't read it, but if it's half as good as the movie then you're probably in for a really good read.

25. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Did anyone catch Community tonight? That was a pretty cool callback to Season One with Britta getting an I-Pod Nano.

I would also like to recommend "Broad City" for anyone looking for a comedy driven by terrific leading women! It's pretty funny plus it also has Hannibal Burress! It won't show up on Comedy Central for another week but the first episode is already on Hulu. It's well worth checking out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.