main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Not as of that special last night. Chris Evans comes right out and says it.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    He also said it in one of the behind the scene featurettes and most of the trailers make it obvious

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Hey, this Storm of Swords or whatever is quite a good book. Who would have known?

I'm just getting nervous as I am already one third through the part 1 and I'm still in the second episode material. No Red Wedding for me?
    More detailed reactions inside the spoiler tags, mostly of the "What a surprise, this part was different in the show!" variety.
    So many new names.

Jaime being the new point of view character surprised me. If I had to guess I'd have said that we'd see Jaime's character development through the eyes of Brienne. Instead it's the other way around.

And Cleos is alive long enough to have a river voyage. I predict that he dies casually before the page 300.

Lord Hoster's words make Catelyn ponder about her sister's marriage. It would be nice to think that she got the answer to the riddle right, but considering her track record of being a detective... "You made him take her," she whispered. "Lysa was the price Jon Arryn had to pay for the swords and spears of House Tully." Unless Lysa says that it was true I don't believe her conclusion. Last time she was certain of her investigation results she started a war.

Tyrion gets out of his bed and begins the investigation of the nose trimming incident. Whodunnits are easy when you know who dunned it. Except that Cersei didn't do it? So why did Tyrion think that she did? Because Varys told him. Varys, who feels that Tyrion is someone the realm needs. Which is why he lies to him. Oh these councillors, they just can't help themselves.

A little correction: When I checked the second book I noticed that in it Tyrion makes the connection between Cersei and Ser Mandon entirely himself in his fever. Still, Varys muddling the soup when there is no immediate need is how he rolls.

Next the surprise: Ser Davos is still alive. He dived under the fire and the burning ships. And as usual we get a lot more of his feverish thoughts than in the show.

Both in the book and in the show Lady Olenna is the best new character. No deep life-story monologues, just quick funny comments and music to accompany. But one comment got my attention. The Florents could have a better claim to Highgarden than the Tyrells. I checked the appendices and they say the same thing. And Florents are currently divided between Stannis and Joffrey. If Stannis gets the crown somehow, he could punish the traitor Tyrells and reward his wife's house at the same time. And that would be justice, since the city is Florents' by right. No wonder Olenna doesn't like this "lion riding".

Jon meets with Mance Rayder. I like what new I get to know about him here. He likes to sing, is playful and visited Winterfell when the other king did too. I'm tempted to check if there's any hint in the first book or the episode but most likely not.

Time to breasts: 114 pages. Daenerys beats Jhiqui by almost a page, if you are interested in the score.

I became a little sad when I remembered that Bran parted ways with Osha already in the last book, which means no Osha here. :( And the frog-eaters really eat frogs?

The first round of point-of-views took a fifth of the book, and that's without Theon who hasn't crossed paths with me yet. I have little to say of the second round, except that Jaime's memories of how he joined the King's Guard and killed the Mad King were a nice good night's story. Left a lot to ponder.

Only when Robb came back to Riverrun did I realize how little he actually is in the books. But knowing what was happening I giggled uncontrollably through the court meeting. "There was another girl, near Sansa's age." Oh boy, Catelyn, meet Talisa. "I took an arrow through the arm while storming the Crag. It's healed well, though. I had the best of care". A certain nurse from Volantis, perhaps? "Love's not always wise, I've learned." It's coming, brace yourself for a big surprise, Cat.

"I have the great honor to present you the Lady Jeyne Westerling, Lord Gawen's elder daughter, and my... ah... my lady wife."

[​IMG]

Okay, you got me, GRRM. You got me with a book of which plot I already knew. I'll just giggle for a while and go back to read.

Gorefiend and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I could not even remember that Bucky was in the first movie, so they certainly surprised me. :p

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Lugija

This is known Khaleesi,

I have to say book 3 was probably the high point of the series. Feast of Crows was ok but marginally boring in comparison. I still have yet to really get into A Dance with Dragons, I only get distracted with everything else in my life

6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Technically the Human Torch was in the film...twice

No Namor or Toro though.

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I actually really liked A Dance With Dragons. It gets knocked a lot for not being as action-packed as ASOS- and several character arcs meeting seeming (and literal) dead ends- but it's a great book, minus the abysmally dull Dany chapters. Jon and Stannis in particular get more character development than in the preceding three books. And then of course there's Young Griff and the massive can of worms he represents.

Kylun and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah Young Griff is... meh... I mean it was hinted at before that he was around but still the story was already complicated enough without him showing up.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    When will Winds of Winter(IIRC) be completed ?

10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Havac , Kylun, Yoda_S and 4 others like this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

At this point I think the TV show will actually get there first.

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Edit:

That's what I thought :( I hope he will be alive(and in general) to finish his series. HBO supposedly knows how it all ends in case something should happen.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You think it's still going to stay as 1 book too? Ah, young fool!

This is why I stick to Erikson and Sanderson - they can actually keep to their timetable!

RC-1991 likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How bloody stupid. It's one of the best things about the story but it works best as a surprise!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So would Sidious = Palpatine, but Ian McDiarmid's chin begged to differ.

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The movie won't be a 100% retelling of Brubaker's run Jedi Ben, there will be other surprises. Plus as others have mentioned, Bucky is not well known outside the comics community. His surprise reveal wouldn't have as much impact as it did in the comics cause we don't know him for the last 70 years. We only known him for the 15 minutes we saw him in First avenger

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    That plus his wardrobe.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I beg to differ. Until Brubaker started his Cap run I'd never read the character or really cared much about him, nor did I know much of his origin or back story. Thus the whole business of Bucky's resurrection, for me, was done within the confines of the overall arc.

20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Nothing from the clips and trailers tells me that has change, just the reveal that it's Bucky is no longer a surprise to the audience

Edit: also I think you knew about the no resurrection rule(Uncle Ben, Barnes, Jason Todd) in comics before you became familiar with Barnes

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Having not known of Barnes, I wouldn't have known he fell under such a rule, which has always been considerably less than absolute anyway.

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    It's more like guidelines :p any who keep an open mind chum, Brubaker loved it

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, this is irrelevant to how I'll like the movie - it's looking great from the trailers - will likely see it the way I do most films now - blu-ray.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The positive buzz has me more at ease

25. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

Yeah, if Erikson can get out a series as big as Malazan in 15 years, and maintain the consistent level of quality that he did, and even give it a decent ending, then Martin has no excuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.