main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh my goodness I'm loving Dark Souls II so, so, sooo much.

Been playing it for a week, now, and it's ridiculously satisfying. I love the first game, of course, but I know it inside and out... and nothing compares to that first playthrough you do totally blind.

^:)^ \[T]/ ^:)^

My only issue with Dishonored is a narrative one: how little in-game time passes. Corvo's vendetta is done and dusted in about the space of a week and it just doesn't feel right.

Still, I ADORE the setting -- it's brilliant -- and I'm really looking forward to future games.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Game of year edition was 30 bucks and I love using blink and wind gust on folk :p I look forward to playing the dlc once I finish Corvo's main quest

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That is kind of the disconnect I was talking about between the first game and the later games - the first game actually dealt with the historical assassins (basically a bunch of religious terrorists and hired thugs) and the historical templars. There was a conspiracy going on, and it did involve some ancient mind control device, but it felt like it less about that, and the actual crusades were front and center.

Not to mention that you had to piece together the whole thing as you went despite being a master assassin, and it turned out the leader of the assassins was totally in on the templar conspiracy, so it really makes it hard to sallow the idea that the assassins were really some ancient order dedicated specifically to fighting the templars since from before history began.

And reading the series summery on history, it bugs how it makes it anything and everything that ever happened really a part of that templar-assassin conflict (though it at least has the exceptions of Napoleon and the Mongols). The first game really made the groups seem smaller than that, with more personal motivations for those involved, and had them fit in more with the setting - for example, wearing the white robes to fit in with monks for a disguise rather than being an increasingly conspicuous uniform.

tjace and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    What, the guy with Cynical in his username doesn't like something?

[​IMG]

:p

I mean, the AC games have been on my "to-play" list for a long time, I just never cared to actually buy them/start playing them. AC III seemed like a logical starting point for me since American history is/was my jam in college. I'd just say "meh" but the last time this board recommended something almost unilaterally, I wound up reading through the NJO and loved it, warts and all. I'll probably pick up the first AC on Steam next time it goes on sale and play it while I'm waiting for Batman: Arkham Knight.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    MasterSkywalker86 yeah, I agree that the first game could be a turn-off. Honestly, I would've recommended that Ben skip the first one and watch a youtube summary but I. it actually is more historically-bound than the rest of them and II. it would be hypocritical to say "don't start in the middle, you fool!" and then say "start in the middle, fool!" :p

As for Dishonored -- absolutely loved every bit of it. The setting is amazing, and it's the first game where I actually tried to be stealthy because I knew it would actually matter. Plus, I hugely enjoy playing the royal protector for obvious reasons.

Gorefiend -- well, I absolutely loathed and hated the pirate stuff so I'm psyched for Unity. 4 was definitely an improvement on 3 but blah, I'm tired of being a bad guy like I was in 3 and 4. :p

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The person you play as murders people for a living! Neither Enzio or Altair were nice people either. :p

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't like Altaïr either! :p Ezio is awesome though.

And yes, I know they're a league of murderers, that's kind of the name of the game series. :p

Sadly there's no light-side option for quests.

8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The winter is coming... and going... and coming... and going...

At least there's something to do.

[​IMG]

To Elsa: Next time, no spires. They are unpossible to make of wet snow without magic.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah he did get sort of annoying

Oh he is, which is the only thing that actually made me want to play AC 2 because that game has issues. Whilst AC 3 and 4 were clearly just more for the fun.

The depressing thing is the given path kind of is the light side for the setting.

10. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Too much renegade not enough paragon :p

The abilities in Dishonored are pretty great, a friend of mine said she stopped time, pick up enemy gunfire and position the bullets toward the enemies trajectory. Once time resumed the enemy artillery did their job of neutralizing them. That's clever on the game designers part. Also Blink is so darn useful, teleportation was never apart of my top 5 powers until this game. Is pull any good ?

Man I look forward to Bioware making another SW rpg. Their decisions on Mass Effect 3(ending) and TOR(making it into an MMORPG) has distance me as a gamer. I wonder how Visceral will handle the license.

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Pull is great fun, as one can just snatched an enemy from a group to then use as a bullet shield, or if you just catch stuff getting thrown at you right out of the air, or you can use it to steal stuff from afar etc.

12. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    :D so I'm a jedi then ? Telekinesis is my jam :D

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    You can even use it if your just to lazy to loot stuff as you can just pull coins an the like towards you. ;)

Or just simply something like this.
    [​IMG]

14. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Oh, I loved the first AC for it's gameplay, setting, and concept. Then Ezio had to come along and raise the bar so high I got spoiled. Unity looks amazing and I can't wait, but I'm starting to wonder if/when we'll get another big setting jump, either forward or backward. We went from the crusades to the Renaissance, then to the American Revolution, then back one generation to play pirates, now the French Revolution. Eh, maybe it's just that technologically the last couple games felt too similar. Can't say I'd be opposed to an assassin in a space suit...

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Awesome.

THOUGH NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT MY SNOW CREATION OF YESTERYEAR!

[​IMG]

I don't miss studying... but boy do I ever miss being a student.

MercenaryAce and Kylun like this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Really wish I still had a picture of my Snow Bender.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I totally made these. Really!

[​IMG]

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, yes it is.

Destruction is the only thing I have left to level in order to do the Ritual Spell. Its currently at Level 67, so this might take awhile. The amazing thing is I did all of the others without the Mage Stone or training (I once did some training, but I can't remember what for).

19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Uli. Every time you post that snowman, all I see is:

[​IMG]

And I have no idea if that's intentional or not. :p

Ulicus and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's obviously supposed to be Ysanne Isard discoing.

Point Given likes this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Daiman didn't care for disco--that's why it died.

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My snow creation of yesteryear was a giant hand giving the middle finger, so I can't show it to you guys. :p

It was built out on Rte 30, so people heading west would see it.

Kylun likes this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I guess that makes sense.

aww man I miss Fringe. And not the post-season 3 stuff.

Edit:

Also, apparently it took Harold Ramis' passing for Sony to greenlight Ghostbusters 3, now that it won't feature either Venkman or Spengler. And Ivan Reitman backed out due to Ramis' passing, so evidently Aykroyd, and maybe Ernie Hudson, will be involved, but that's it. Although I suppose if they're going to have Oscar as a character it would be nice to get Sigourney Weaver, not to mention Annie Potts back. I doubt Rick Moranis will come out of retirement for it, although supposedly he was actually willing to do the video game but by the time he agreed to it, it was too late in production to get him in. My excitement will be proportionate to the level of involvement the old cast have. I think I need to finally read that Ghostbusters: The Return "EU" novel I've been saving for a rainy day, like Desmond was saving Our Mutual Friend, without the unpleasant connotation.

I was just watching the cutscenes from the video game, and it's nice that Ramis gets the one liner to the villain, "we eat gods for breakfast!"

CooperTFN likes this.
  25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I see your Daiman and raise you His Wobbliness

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.